My first reno...need help

Hi All,

I want to add a new bathroom and a new bedroom to my 3 bedda, single bathroom IP.

The old garage was made into a room that is not used by the tenants. Its large enough to fit a bathroom and house a 4th bedda.

This is my first time, so I have no idea how to proceed. Is there a "one-stop" shop for this kind of thing? Plumbing, electrical etc etc. The house is near logan, in berrinba, but Im not sure how to begin.

First, how much does it cost (roughly) to add a bathroom with cheap tiles and vanities?

Secondly, what contractors do I search for to try and assess a quote for the entirety of the works that I am looking to have done?

When I installed a bathroom at the rear of my house it cost me $5,000. But my plumbing etc was already in, so only the shower, tiling and new toilet needed to be installed.

First you need to find out whether you can change the garage to a livable area. Flooring, head height etc. That is if you want it to be legal.

The hardest part is the plumbing. Get a plumber (if you can) to give you a quote on getting the plumbing done. How far is the existing plumbing for the garage (water, sewage)? If sewage is difficult maybe just put a shower and vanity.

The rest of the stuff is easy. Few stud walls then waterproof the bathroom, tile.

Hi Travel bug,

Sorry I dont understand. If you cant have sewage connected to the bathroom, where does the water from the shower go out to?

Last edited:
This is my first time, so I have no idea how to proceed. Is there a "one-stop" shop for this kind of thing?
If you are after a "one-stop" shop, then 'let your fingers do the walkin' and hit the Yellow Pages. Look under "building contractors--alterations, extensions & renovations"
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/searc...+renovations&locationClue=Logan+QLD&x=62&y=21
This search brings up a total of 82 contractors in the Logan area.

First, how much does it cost (roughly) to add a bathroom with cheap tiles and vanities?
This is a kind of difficult Q without knowing a lot more information, but if you are just after middle-of-the-road bathroom figures - in my experience, it costs about $7K to do an average bathroom from scratch:
Carpenter, plumber, electrician, waterproofer, tiler, vanity, shower screen, tap-ware, tub, tiles etc.
If you get a bathroom company to quote on doing the whole thing, then expect to double that amount to $14K (again in my experience).

Hi Sheryn,

Well, i believe it can go up as much as $100.

My place is a 3 beeda 1 bath acheiving $330 a week whereas there is a new housing estate next door with 4 beddas and 2 baths that are getting between $460 - $480. So it I can get about 430 to 440, i think that would be a worthwhile investment. Dont you think?

Which estate is next door?

The reason I ask that is because the Freshwater estate at Berrinba rents are $400 - $420 and a few tenants have moved out when rent was raised from $400.

BTW
I believe Berrinba is a great area and the industrial development along the Logan Motorway is good and should increase rental demand.

Regards
Sheryn

Hi Sheryn,

My property is on fifth avenue in berrinba. So its not in the new estate of housing of Berrinba. It on the marsden side of the suburb.

I bought it a year ago but because of the new housing in the area, rents have been surpressed and I want to match the number of bathrooms and bedroom to get rental up there close to the new housing stock.

Do you have a property in that area?

Daniel

Son PPOR is in the new estate and I have watched the market closely for 4 years.

In his street tenants have moved out and relocated when owners increased rent to $415 -$420 as a lot of cheaper places around.

If you PM says you can get $460-480 rent then go for it but I have my doubts.

Regards
Sheryn

No she says 390 - 400. I was hoping around 430 but perhaps that is too high. I am going to see how much a new bathroom will cost and make my decision based on a $390 per week income.

460 - 480 were some of the rental demands on realestate.com.au that I saw, so that was my estimation.

Back