My Franchise Experience

I have seen a few threads on here mentioned about franchised businesses.
I will give a very brief run down of my experience. I won’t mention the brand name for obvious reasons.
My due diligence with this franchise started back in 2004. I spent months talking to other partners who had purchased into these stores. All the usual questions about the Franchisor and there own store where scrutinized as you can imagined. My application was sent in, I went through the interview/screening process and I was offered a site.

During the interview process I was told:

This site will cost 270k (Sites averaged around 300k)
The store will be opening in 5 weeks so you will be required to start training immediately if you accept.
You will receive 3 quotes from shop fitters for you to sign and accept.

I accepted the site and quit my job as training was staring the following week.
However the store did not open for a further 3 months. The store ended up costing 480k not 270k. I never received any quotes, just invoices. As you can imagine this has a dramatic change to your business plan.

There recruitment and design team were untouchable about questions about the store costs. They new my financial details and my business plan, what I could borrow etc but this does not matter after you have signed and the franchise agreement.
ANZ who I had financed through even contacted the Franchisor to find out why this site had cost so much as they had financed some other sites.

I tried to manage this store while going back to work as my funds and capital where pretty well dried up. Prior to the store opening I had many questions that remained unanswered and I new I had just boarded a sinking ship. For 2 years I tried to bucket out this seeping water until I was instructed to sell by my finance institution.
I had found a potential buyer for a fire sale price of 190k, however the Franchisor had never entered a legal binding lease on the subject premises and the potential buyer walked.
The Franchisor offered me $90,000. I accepted. By this stage I was shipwrecked. I had hit the bottle, I was drained. I had nothing left. I was physically, finically and emotionally drained

In a franchise you normally have an area manager, a state operations manager, and at the top the national operations manager. This is some of the recorded telephone conversations I had with national operations manager:
“Your store costs weren't reviewed.”
“The whole episode has definitely been a learning experience for everybody; your store was built at a time when just f*&*ing get it done. We were concentrating more on getting the brand name out there”
“How do we justify anybody paying over $400,000 for a store and expect them to get a return? Morally as a company we should have a look at this as well.”

I even have a recorded conversation of this franchise consultant admitting that he had heard of the recruitment team being dishonest.

This is just my experience with a franchised system. There are some good quality Franchises out there. Even with the brand I was associated with, there are good quality sites. This was my first experience entering into a business and a very steep learning curve and financially draining.

This was my first experience entering into a business and a very steep learning curve and financially draining.

Thanks for your post.
Hopefully it will help others be more careful whoe are considering entering a Franchise or business.

I do believe the quote above has the most relevance.
For a first business experience, there was just too much risk involved in this case.

During the early stages I was trying to sort out problems with the Franchisor. Not a great deal of help. The area managers at the time didnt seem to have to much business experience but even a few of them mentioned that this site is in trouble and you can tell they had concerns.
There Franchise agreement pretty much takes away all liablity and covers there ***. I received legal advice after I was out of the store but it would have had to go to the supreme court. 100k plus I needed to get there. I didnt have a dime to scratch my back at that stage.

About 8 months after being out of the store a sent the CEO a brief transcript of some of my recordings. I received another 100k. Enough to re finance and get me out of the hole I was in. I moved on and purchased a couple of IP's done quick renos on them to bulid equity. So not all doom and gloom.

During the interview process I was told:

This site will cost 270k (Sites averaged around 300k)
The store will be opening in 5 weeks so you will be required to start training immediately if you accept.
You will receive 3 quotes from shop fitters for you to sign and accept.

I accepted the site and quit my job as training was staring the following week.
However the store did not open for a further 3 months. The store ended up costing 480k not 270k. I never received any quotes, just invoices. As you can imagine this has a dramatic change to your business plan.

I know nothing about franchise systems, but wasn't there anything in writing, a contract with the $270K on it?

And nothing in writing about the shop fitting costs.

What a truly scary story. You have certainly been given a rough time.

I'd be tempted to try to squeeze some more from the franchise people. If they gave you $100K on hearing your taped conversations, perhaps there is more there?

Good luck with whatever you go on with. You must be made of tough stuff to get through all that intact.

my limited experience with financing such animals is that there is more romanticism in the idea of running ur own biz than there is reality .

As a business mentor of mine used to say

:"Often, good intentions run smack bang into reality".............many frans seem to fit that bill

That doesnt mean that all fran business are poor, they arent, but do your research eyes wide open, and then some

ta

rolf

Sorry to hear that.

It makes me wonder just how many negative, as well as positive experiences, come out of these various franchises.

They certainly don't sound like they're a licence to print money - actually many sound like an expensive job you buy into, and then work your butt off in.

Someone I know walked out of one about 18 months ago after buying into one of the largest franchises, 18 months before that. Yes, she was a compete newbie with no previous business experience.

I do know that shop was still sitting empty a few months ago. Apparently she was making a loss from day one.

I don't know much about franchises, but a friend and I did some quick numbers, taking into account it's very poor location, and the numbers looked bad - something the franchise would have known.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Did you get legal advice during the initial stages?

During the early stages I was trying to sort out problems with the Franchisor. I received legal advice after I was out of the store .

Sorry to hear about your story... what a nightmare! I also had a business that went bust, but that story makes mine seem like a positive experience!

Going back to Aaron's question.. when you were first signing the contracts to get into the franchise, did you have it reviewed by a solicitor and get legal advice?

franchises can be a bit of a hit and miss,

some people say its the same as buying a job, in essence yes you are buying a job, but if you buy an existing one with good turnoever, you roughly know what profit/turnover is in store for you ignoring economic factors etc.

buying a development site can also be a hit and miss as well,

if I had the $$$, id go 2 way partnership into a big name franchise like Mcdonalds say $1m+ or something thats well established with justiifed turnoever

if I had the $$$, id go 2 way partnership into a big name franchise like Mcdonalds say $1m+ or something thats well established with justiifed turnoever

If I had even more money I would buy a large corner lot and build my own maccas there. There's a lot near my parents' house which is absolutely superb for this kind of venture but sadly my capital is all tied up elsewhere.

If I had even more money I would buy a large corner lot and build my own maccas there. There's a lot near my parents' house which is absolutely superb for this kind of venture but sadly my capital is all tied up elsewhere.

id be willing to do that as well, however obviously the risk factor is higher, I have heard that not all Mcs do all that well or their turnover drops/dies for no apparent reason,

must admit, the bit that turned me off was the compulsory and unpaid fulltime training (is it a month or two) overseas that you have to do?

Not sure if Mcs would allow it, but going halves with a partner as silent would be my ideal. the partner would obviously have to have the MCs training/experience PLUS funds PLUS skills. And at the same time you have to work with the person so that has its own down points

It sounds like a nasty experience.

At risk of teaching grandma how to suck eggs, always get legal advice before signing anything that you don't understand. Companies are very good at writing contracts that are extremely one-sided, and deny all liability.

The other thing to bear in mind is that what's promised when someone is selling an opportunity doesn't necessarily match what's on paper. And if the two differ, it's the contractual version that has legal standing as this is what you've agreed to in a binding manner.

So if they tell you that the site will cost $270K, you will receive quotes from three fitters, and that it will be open in five weeks then you want those in the contract itself.

I had a bad experience doing a piece of software development work a few years back. I was promised money upfront, agreed a basic spec, and so forth. It was for a mobile phone game, and I massively underestimated the work needed to convert it onto different handsets (the technical version is that the J2ME platform was highly fragmented, so write once run everywhere doesn't happen). However, the time scales I was working to were those given by them, and they should have known they were optimistic.

Oh, and the payment scheme was based on royalties that took a small percentage of the total revenue after the other company had taken their expenses (undefined), with no upfront payment for myself. Oh, and there was an offer of money to complete the project made in my discussions.

The end result was that I spent a lot of time over a twelve month period working on what should have been a couple of months to finish on the original estimates. I was threatened with everything from non-payment through to being sued to recover their losses. I ended up handing the assets over and telling them to finish it themselves.

Subsequently I learned that any serious software house would have charged around $100K to do the job, and I'd have been lucky to see more than a fifth of that. The company was renowned for not paying unless they were threatened with legal action. And I wasn't the only person to have gone through all this - I spoke to another victim during an interview for a role at UBS a few years later.

Had I been a bit cleverer, I could have pushed the original one sided contract back to the other company and told them to come up with something a bit more even handed.

In Hysteria's case I'm guessing that it was the same mix that I had of being inexperienced in business and dealing with a pack of sharks.

One question for the OP: Are you planning on starting anything up again?

New Franchise very risky
Established Franchise less risky, but still risky

Friend buy established Nandos $600k appr
Eagle watch for 5 years
Good income
Sell for $1.1 million, now retired, aged 40ish

Friend 2 buy established Pizza franchise
Run it down in two years
Sold it to unsuspecting buyer at 1/5th purchase price
Now makes pizza

So not all bad, not all good.

I seriously looked at a franchise business a few years back ... and suspect it was the same one Hysteria bought into.

I thought the start up costs were too high, the locations were not always ideal with lots of flexible competition and the franchise had total control over your time, ordering, advertising and costs.

I wanted to put in a manager and was told that I had to work in the business (not "on" but "in") myself for a minimum of (I think) 40 hours per week. That was the clincher as I wanted the income but retain flexibility with a young family.

I would not make a very good franchisee as I wanted a business, not a job.

A bit like the thread regarding NOT buying a Jim's mowing, but rather setting up your own business with control, success, flexibility and no expensive franchise overheads.

Very sorry to hear it went pearshaped, Hysteria. A very very painful learning experience.

My dad and stepmother own a Mitre 10 - they have the benefits of a big name company, but have the freedom and flexibility to run the store how they want.

They bought shares in Mitre 10 and also buy their stock from the Mitre 10 warehouse (although they can buy from anywhere).

They are required to participate in a minimum number of catalogues during the year which costs them a set amount depending on the size of their store. But this costs them less than it would if they had to run their own advertising campaign.

It seems to work really well - flexibility to run your own business, with the backing of a big company....and no large franchise fees to start with.

Sorry to hear about your story... what a nightmare! I also had a business that went bust, but that story makes mine seem like a positive experience!

Going back to Aaron's question.. when you were first signing the contracts to get into the franchise, did you have it reviewed by a solicitor and get legal advice?

Yes penny there was legal advice prior to entering any agreement. The franchise agreemnent and disclosure documents were reviewed. I spent about 1500 oon getting these documents reviewed.

my limited experience with financing such animals is that there is more romanticism in the idea of running ur own biz than there is reality .

As a business mentor of mine used to say

:"Often, good intentions run smack bang into reality".............many frans seem to fit that bill

That doesnt mean that all fran business are poor, they arent, but do your research eyes wide open, and then some

ta

rolf

Yes your correct rolf. You must have had some experience by your tone. There are good sites and there are bad sites. And they do try to sell bad apples. They know the figures, there in business, of course they know what will and wont work.

I was so angry one day when I seen this new site advertised. After being in there system you soon learn what works and what wont. This site was a big FAIL.

I rang the national operations manager about this site expressing my concerns
Yes and this was recorded and this is the reply:

“You've got to understand..uno... part of the business has got to grow..and uno.. ahhh.. and rightly or wrongly you make these decisions, and ahh, look, I am worried about that site as well, umm, uno, umm, but I guess if somebody comes in, umm with very little borrowing ,umm, and are prepared for the whole family to work in..uno... the thing is we are certainly, are a lot more cautious now as who comes into the network and what sort of financial structure they come in with and that is just all learning lessons.”

The site went ahead, it was at a cost of 220k so a lot cheaper then mine. Last I heard they had sold there PPOR.

Back