My Hami Hill 2x1 Makeover

My Hami Hill 2x1 Makeover [before & after]

Finally completed my makeover and thought I'd share some before and after shots.

All up it only cost about 4.5k
~800 for Paint (DIY hogs bristle walls and trim, white ceilings)
~2,200 floors
~800 Blinds
~200 odds and ends (shower head, toilet seat etc)
~500 stove

The house cost 325k +5% costs and 4k Reno comes to 345k, which was 100% financed through an 80% I/O loan and LOC against IP1
So at 6% interest, break even rent is about $400.
In the current market I'm hoping to get $420 which should cover costs.

Lounge Area
IMAGE_E7C1A4C8-76B2-44F3-809F-1BE8FA446358.JPG

IMAGE_4DF2396F-267B-4573-8759-745438118D9A.JPG

Kitchen
IMAGE_0CCC3ADB-B2F4-43F0-8398-E281558464C8.JPG

IMAGE_28537A44-28BE-4654-B60A-E98161E84439.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice Ergophobia - the world needs more people like you.

Massive change for very little budget - obviously alot of sweat applied there for free.

Good luck trying to get a decent Tenant in Hamilton Hill who will not only pay you $ 420 p.w. consistently, but also respect what you have done.

We did that very same thing to a place in Rivervale about 15 years ago.

We were extremely careful in who we placed in there, going thru application after application. Everyone wanted to rent it.

After much anxious sorting, we selected one applicant with good references and supposed history, who subsequently trashed the place again and failed to pay rent for months.

....never again....

I wish you all the best with your investment.

People like you who can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse need encouraging. You'll have no control whatsoever, but try not to let someone turn it back into a sow's ear. In Hami Hill, that's a big ask.

Congrats anyway - top effort.

Looks great. Floors really make a big difference - house looks much bigger and cleaner. On the other hand, I really dislike the blinds in the front room as they tend to break very easily.

Looks great! Well done :D This is something I would like to do when i have the time after kids go to school!!!

Yeah KNOW what you mean Kylz! My 3.5yr old not so interested in IP's and renovating!

Great job on the reno! Love the floors and the lighting..

Nice job. It looks fantastic.

Can you update us on how the hunt for a tennant is going. Did you secure a lease at anticipated value?

Just signed a 12 month lease at $420/week

We'er stoked!

After dicking round with no shows from gumtree, decided to list it through forsaleforlease and had two quality applications the day the add went live.

Yeah, I was going to list it for 380, but my wife pointed out that there were only 3 bedders and up listed for rent in the area starting at 450, so this would be the cheapest house.

Back