My Little Hero

I got home last night to find my two daughters together in the youngest ones bedroom. As the eldest left and closed the door I saw a kitten on the bed and totally freaked out because we already have 5 cats & they have been given strict instructions that I DON"T WANT ANYMORE. I really love them, but there are limits.

Anyway, the eldest daughter sat us down to explain what had happened. Apparently my youngest daughter (17yrs) was driving and witnessed the car in front of her swerve to deliberately kill a kitten. She stopped to see if it was OK. It wasn't! Then she noticed a cardboard box with another 3 kittens inside it. Well, she picked that up and brought it home with her. She immediately arranged a home for one of the kittens, but we now have 2 more kittens.

My poor little girl was shaken up badly by what happened, which is understandable and was inconsolable when I explained that the two kittens would have to find homes.

So.....do any of the Sydney forumites want an adorable kitten (or two)? There is a male (black & white) and a female (tabby & white). They appear very healthy although slightly on the thin side. They are very playful and I would estimate around 6 weeks old.

Awwww cries.. how sweet. *stabs driver that swerved to kill the kitten!*

Skater i have seen my vet with kittens that they try to rehouse all the time. Could you ask your local vets if they are able to do that? They charge for chipping and shots.

I can try to convince my hubby!! What part of Sydney are you in?
Pen

Oh, Please, I would be soooooo greatful. We are Western Suburbs, but I am sure we could go for a drive to deliver. They are so very mischievous, running around everywhere, then they totally exhaust them selves and want a cuddle. So cute!

My daughter does the same thing.
I tell her she shouldn't bring anymore home.
It breaks your heart when you hear why she had to rescue them, from a certain death.

Your daughter did the right thing.
I'm glad your trying to find them a good home Skater.

Thankyou Kathryn. I'm sitting here this morning with the male curled up on my lap asleep while non stop purring. He has just finished single handedly (or should I say single pawed) terrorised the big cats by wanting to play with them, and of course, they didn't want to play. Now he needs a sleep.

How aweful that people are so mean, not only the ones that dumped them but how emotionally disturbed would someone to deliberately run over a kitten?

Great that they picked them up. I cannot put my hand up to take one as I am in Adelaide, but I would have given it some consideration otherwise.

Good on you for taking them on and all the very best.

X

I have never understood the very strong anti-cat brigade...we know several people - otherwise lovely, caring people who openly talk about their hate for cats and brag about swerving to run them over :mad::(. I just dont get it..these people talk about how cats are so bad for the environment, and only hang around humans coz we feed them etc etc. Fine - dislike cats, dont have one, campaign for better environmental awareness - but to have a desire to deliberately harm a cat, or any animal for that matter is just bizarre and cruel.

I dont get it..

Nadia

Fine - dislike cats, dont have one, campaign for better environmental awareness - but to have a desire to deliberately harm a cat, or any animal for that matter is just bizarre and cruel.
Agree that swerving to kill a domestic cat is disturbed, and the fact that it is a kitten makes it worse.

I am an animal lover, however also a hunter and can understand the need to ethically control some speices of animals such as foxes, rabbits, crows, feral cats etc so don't exactly agree with your comment that it is crual to harm any animal but each to their own!

Unfortunately also not in Sydney and think a ferret will be my next pet! :D

Hi Welcome,

I think maybe you misinterpreted (or I poorly worded) my comments. I speaking in regards to swerving or hurting a cat for just being a cat. The problem with this being firstly, that cat is probably someones pet and even though it shouldn't be on the streets, it doesnt give someone the right to kill it, and secondly, running over a cat will possibly only injure the animal causing it unnessasary suffering..plain cruel.

I have no problem whatsoever with humanely controlling animals - my husband is also a hunter and regularly shoots feral animals - but it is always shoot to kill, first shot. Anyone that gets off on seeing any animal suffer has a screw loose. And, for the record, I'm sure you are not one of those people! But I think people who run over cats are sick...IMO

Cheers,
Nadia

Last edited:
Welcome - crows (actually Ravens) are native Australian birds. Why are you hunting/'controlling' them?

How disgusting that someone would swerve to purposely hit an animal, any animal. What sort of person can do that?
My mother saw a taxi driver purposely run over a pigeon not long ago. yesterday I witnessed a flock of ducks on a road, I stopped to watch nothing happened, along comes a car speeding, does not swerve or slow down to miss them. Thankfully they moved over just in time.
I can not believe how thoughtless some people can be, how can one sleep at night knowing they have hurt an innocent life?

Cats a menace? Compared to human impact on the environment cats do nothing.

If I was your daughter I would have chased the criminal that ran over the kitten.

Did the little one hit end up dying? :(

If you can't find a home consider taking them to Cat Protection Society. They can always rehome kittens pretty quickly especially if they are healthy and friendly.

I always had respect for you Dazz. Not anymore! How senseless? Don't bother reinventing yourself next time you decide to go away.

There will always be lesser-humans in the world. I find its best to ignore them and focus on positively cleaning up the mess they make.

Skater, have pm'd you

I have never understood the very strong anti-cat brigade...
Me neither. A cat is just as loving as a dog. They are just more independant.

The problem with a cat is that it is a natural hunter, however there are measures you can do to avoid this. At our home our cats roam freely inside the house and can go through a cat-door into 1/2 of the backyard which is totally enclosed, including a birdproof netting over the top. This gives them access to the outside, without any harm to other animals. They are not allowed outside.

The main problem is that irresponsable owners get animals (not just cats) and don't desex them. Then when they have a litter, they are faced with the problem of getting rid of them. Some are dumped, some are killed and some go to other irresponsable owners & the cycle continues. In order to survive, the animals that are now left to their own devices HAS to hunt in order to survive. BTW I am not saying that a well fed domestic cat won't hunt, as it is in their nature, but they may be too fat or too lazy (or both) to bother so they are less likely to.
Cats a menace? Compared to human impact on the environment cats do nothing.
Very true.
Did the little one hit end up dying? :(
Unfortunately, yes.

The answer is having the law changed to mandatory desexing. The government are happy to deem the domestic cat a menace to the environment, yet they take no measures to stop the population growth. If a law existed to make desexing necessary then the population would quite quickly decrease.
However powerful lobbying by money hungry groups such as the Veterinary Association and the pet shop industry are what is stopping any progress with this.

Interesting Dazz.........did you know there is a strong link between cruelty to animals and criminality??? ;)

For the record....most states have laws against cruelty to animals.

....your answer also gives a very good insight into character??

Did you not say your father was a judge???

Which criminal ?? What crime ??

Last edited:
Interesting Dazz.........did you know there is a strong link between cruelty to animals and criminality??? ;)

For the record....most states have laws against cruelty to animals.

....your answer also gives a very good insight into character??

Did you not say your father was a judge???

For the record Sash all states have laws against cruelty to animals.

What research do you have linking cruelty to animals to criminality?

However I see that you enjoy bear baiting, perhaps a good insight to
your character.:p

Cheers

Pete

Baiting....nah...never....well...only Dazz...LOL!

Well..lets get back on the topic! I am both a dog and cat lover....

....bye the way....the way you answered my post...you also got baited!....looks like you are no Alpha male....better roll over!:D

For the record Sash all states have laws against cruelty to animals.

What research do you have linking cruelty to animals to criminality?

However I see that you enjoy bear baiting, perhaps a good insight to
your character.:p

Cheers

Pete

Back