My Wife is not interested.....................

Hi All,

My Wife is not interested looking for IP's, talking about them.

But she is all for us investing in property....but not interested in getting involved !!:rolleyes:

It makes it hard to get out there and buy our second IP.

Any body got any ideas? Or are in the same position??

GG

Hi Gordon.

I have the same "problem", though I don't see it as a problem - I just get on with it. My wife is not the owner of any of our 3 IPs, but when it comes to the mortgage, she contributes to the loans, so her income is taken into account by the bank when assessing our ability to pay.

The only hassle I have is that she always sees the signing of the countless documents as a chore, so I have to get the timing right - catch her in a good mood!

Half the joy of investing is the research, so just get on with it and get your wife involved when necessary. Maybe easier said than done I guess?

Best of luck!
Regards,
Chris.

My Wife is not interested.....................

Any body got any ideas? Or are in the same position??

you sure you're in the right forum GG

:)

rossv

not... interested...

does... not... compute...

um...

there are ppl in this world NOT interested in property?

wow.

but on a more serious note, what is your wife interested in?

I mean this constructively.

Find an area of investing that she would be interested in, and immerse her slowly!

If she is interested in decorating, or shopping, maybe do a build, and have her pick all the colours and the tiles and the carpet and the kitchen etc...

If she is interested in gardening find an IP which needs a garden reno... get her involved!

That might work...

asy :D

Gordon

You said that the lady is 'all for us investing in property', so I see that you don't have a practical problem, but you do have an emotional problem.

My Michael is not the slightest bit interested in my grand plans, and over the years we have come to terms with this in our own way. I don't go to work with him, in fact, I only have a vague idea of what he actually does. Whenever he changes his car, it simply appears in the driveway. Why should I be involved in that decision - I don't drive it, it has nothing to do with me.

So we have agreed that as long as I don't mortgage the family home, it is pretty much up to me as far as investing goes. And, of course, provided I don't try to turn him into unpaid labour on the renovations - except in emergencies, or after I have completed Nagging 101/.

Just accept that she is happy for you to do whatever. Sounds pretty good to me. Yes, - Look Mum, No Hands! is pretty exciting but if she is not interested, that doesn't mean she is not interested in you, just that she has said 'go for it' and trusts you to get on with it.

Her idea of a good time is not talking about cash flow and pink pedestal vanity basins and survey reports? Sensible woman. Agree to disagree . I can't get my lot to do even a courtesy inspection of Myrtle Cottage. (sigh)

Gordon, save the strain on the relationship and treat yourself to a night out once a month and join in with the various meetings about the place, you'll find plenty of people who are interested in discussing property investing and you'll pick up lots of good tips.

Cheers

Kristine

For myself, the moment of revelation with MrsW was a cashflow game (with Nivia, aka The Wife).

MrsW won the game, and took the balance sheets away to study.

When she had absorbed everything, she told me that this was really the first time she had understood the things I had been trying to say.

Hi Gordon,

I must say that u aren't the first or the last with this problem (not really a problem, but something you have to live with)... I must say that my wife isn't interested in IPs either, but trusts my judgement &/or decisions/abilities, so I carry on without her (although she signs on the dotted lines, etc... as needed)... I have found not talking to her about IPs (boaring her with it all) & only discussing it at a needs basis (ie. time to subdivide, renovate, new purchase, etc...)... I suppose, as I'm in the IT industry, it's like me talking to her about IT all day long, I know she wouldn't appreciate it... It can be an obstacle at times (ie. I wouldn't of been so conservative, but had to adjust my strategies)...

I must say, I did get her to read "some" of the stories from the "Story by Story" book Jan Somers book (which I actually purposefully selected when I read the book) & she did enjoy it & I think that it did help her broaden her mind a little... I must say, Kristine's suggestion does sound easier said than done (sorry Kristine), as I haven't managed my wife to come a single MSN/Somersoft meeting OR other seminar as yet, but when I do go I bring back valuable information that I pass on to her (one of the times we talk IPs)...

Cheers,

MannyB.

My view is a bit different.

What's the value of a life partner who doesn't share your wealth & lifestyle goals? Or who expects you to deliver it for them without them lifting a finger (or grudgingly filling out forms when you catch them in a good mood).

After all, they expect to enjoy the lifestyle YOU create for them.

Is that really the right life partner for you??? Or another hurdle to be surmounted?

If my partner was not involved & active in the 'biz' I would not feel comfortable slaving away to make her independently wealthy.

In my case, my partner was the first involved - she convinced me to get into property & did a lot of the work while I provided the income provided to support purchases.

I wouldn't expect her to have stayed with me if I hadn't been involved either :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

AceyDeucy,

So if your partner did not support you in your own particular goals, you should separate?

What if your partner had not been so persuasive? What if she had not been able to communicate the dream eloquently enough for you to have caught the dream?

You're in a different situation now, and you enjoy the active participation of a partner.

A relationship is surely more than just the pursuit of a financial goal (even though financial problems are one of the biggest causes of arguments).

A relationship is about many other things- and financial ability is only one tool which can help some things to become easier in a relationship- sometimes.

G'day,

Sometimes it can be a help with your partner and sometimes it can be a pain. I know when we are looking for IP's I have to remind my wife that is going to be a rental and only a rental, we will never, never move into it so look at it only as a rental. She is always looking for herself rather than by the numbers! So GG in some ways you have an advantage, other ways like the enjoyment shared is a disadvantage. Hope you can sort it all out and come to a happy understanding.

Rob

Hi Gordon. I'm sure your wife will think different when you guys are sitting on the beach not having to worry about working again. My wife basically lets me take care of our I/P situation which sometimes frustrates me a little bit, but hey, I dont like the same music as her etc so I just get on with it and think of it as "my job". As I said, later on, hopefully I can say smugly that "we could have been sitting on this beach earlier if you had been a bit more active"

Cheers

Marty

My wife isnt interested in IPs or investing but shes definately interested in spending the money i make and im fine with that as its a beneifit to my family overall. I see the money i make as not just for me, its for my family so its not important that shes involved at every step or even interested.

Her passion is education and children (she should have her Phd in a few years) and i find the rigid structure of academia boring and she accepts that.

I just think everyone is programmed differently and not everyone has to like or be interested in the same things (regardless of whethet they benefit from it or not) as their partner, infact i think it makes for a healthier relationship if each has their own interests besides the normal shared things in a marraige.

Acey,

If your wife was into lace doiley making for fun & profit, does that mean you are too?

Gordon:

Your wife might not be interested, but at least she is not opposed to it. Consider yourself lucky.

Acey:

Unfortunately on this occasion it sounds like you evaluate your life partner with the same amount of objectiveness that you might apply towards evaluating an investment property. Just because my wife loves playing the piano doesn't mean I have to like playing it. But as partners do, we try accomodate each other. She has a piano in the house, and I have a bunch of power tools :) in my garage. She would rather cut her arm off with a circular saw than actually try build something with one, and I would probably rather cut my head off with the same saw than try learn to play Mozart. But, nonetheless, she will take an interest in something I build, for my sake, and I will take an interest in something she plays, for her sake. Get the picture?

So I agree with brains' assessment. My wife and I have been looking at investment properties for a while, but my wife has a differing interest in the process to me. She realises it will ultimately lead to an improved financial situation for us. You could say she is "passively" for it.

She has actually taken some initiative and started inspecting certain houses that I suggest might be worthwhile looking at (my wife works part time, I work full-time, so it works well for inspections).

She knows what a yield is, but basically she's not interested in how to compute the numbers. Sure, she want me to tell her how much it might cost us per week (negatively geared, for example), or how much it might make us (growth etc), but as to how that is done, she couldn't care less. I am educating her by stealth.

I asked similar questions six months back about getting my wife interested and it has come slowly, and still has a long way to go. The replies I got then opened my eyes - they pointed out that my wife was capable of seeing things I couldn't, of expressing concerns that I might not see, of seeing risks where I might not, etc.

We're both pulling in the same general direction, but we do it differently. I used to think that was bad, but now I see it as possibly being useful. Two people with complimentary skills may well be better than two people with the same set of skills. My wife knows I'm smart enough to crunch the numbers without her help, I know she's smart enough to inspect a property and give me her opinion without my help.

I also know that if my wife is going to have her name on the loan documents etc, than I need her to be happy with what she's buying. If I find a property that's fantastic purely based on numbers, and she thinks it's a hole, I would either have to try convince her otherwise or just find the next one that she does like. She has to sleep at night, too, and that's called compromise.

My wife and I would rather be snowboarding than property investing but we both have the interest and the long term goals to invest in property.

We have it all worked out though. I research, source, number crunch, get excited...........and she keeps my feet on the ground and is completely objective. I find myself selling an IP to her which works well because she is smarter than me and I know it. In other words she keeps me honest and keeps us conservative which has saved us from making mistakes.

Damo :rolleyes:

Its not always the wife

Hi Gordon,
Its not always the wife who's not interested, by man took 12 months to grasp what i visualised. It was a slow process but as he began to read 2 pages here and there, join in the conversation with friends, he saw the light and is now always on my tail to help us reach our goals.
Sometimes its stressfull but most of the time we bring different qualities to our team which makes it work.
Maybe she trusts you whole heartly with your family's best interest at heart, whist her contributions are focused as she sees fit and comfort in.
Regards
Starting Out

the wife

We both have passions & hobbies.. Mine is property ,,,,,,She has shopping & reading

But my situation is very simple & clear.

She keeps signing mortgage docs as long as I keep clearing the credit card every month!:D

ocean

Gordon et al,
I feel sorry for any forumites who are doing it on their own, or who have an uninterested partner.....and from this thread it seems more common than I would have thought. My wife and I work totally as a team, and I just can't picture it any other way. We both love the hunt, we both get frustrated with the banks and we both enjoy sitting down ever now and then and adding up "the equity.... mate"! When we do a reno, she does the inside and I do the outside. She does the decoration and I do the engineering. During the week I generally earn the "main" money and she handles the admin. It works great.
My best advice would be to find some like minded "IP people" and get a group. Work out some way of working together. I met some great people at Spann seminar a few years ago.

This IP journey is not all fruit....sometimes it's tough ...and I don't know that I could share the "fruit salad" with some body who had nothing to do with the preparation, if you follow my extended metaphor.
I know I'm both lucky and fortunate.
Good luck.
LL

My missus initially wasn't interested in investing (after we'd bought a place to live)
Now she still gives me '5 minutes' to tell her the latest deal/property I want to buy.

I don't see any problem?

I have the spare time and the interest to find decent deals, and she pulls the reins when i get a little too excited- so a good combo between us

Aceyducey - theres a lot more to life than property investing!

Cheers

Sam

Mmmmm I think the most difficult part of having a passive partner would be having to hold the burden of responsibility for the families finances. It's can be pretty easy to convince a passive partner to sign on the dotted line especially when you're sooo excited about the great IP you've found. But what if things turn sour or you simply stuff up. It would be nice to know the decision was truely made/discussed/ thought out together. I'm sure that would help one SAN too.

Back