My Wife is not interested.....................

I think this is the wrong way to look at it. Why share things (especially with your family) only if they have contributed to the obtaining of those things? Its a selfish outlook in my opinion.

Im sure partners who arent into property investing contribute to the family in lots of other ways, some not so tangible but just as important if not more so.

Some forum members have to realise that property is not everything in life, actually its just a means to an end and not the end in itself.

Originally posted by landlubber
Gordon et al,
I feel sorry for any forumites who are doing it on their own, or who have an uninterested partner.....and from this thread it seems more common than I would have thought. My wife and I work totally as a team, and I just can't picture it any other way. We both love the hunt, we both get frustrated with the banks and we both enjoy sitting down ever now and then and adding up "the equity.... mate"! When we do a reno, she does the inside and I do the outside. She does the decoration and I do the engineering. During the week I generally earn the "main" money and she handles the admin. It works great.
My best advice would be to find some like minded "IP people" and get a group. Work out some way of working together. I met some great people at Spann seminar a few years ago.

This IP journey is not all fruit....sometimes it's tough ...and I don't know that I could share the "fruit salad" with some body who had nothing to do with the preparation, if you follow my extended metaphor.
I know I'm both lucky and fortunate.
Good luck.
LL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brains,

I must say I agree with you 100% on this... while I'm running around looking for deals &/or doing reno's or dealing with architects, etc... my wife is stuck home with our two little ones (2 & 3.5) & I know for a fact, I'd rather do what I'm doing (which is far easier) than staying home with the kids... (although I still show her drawings &/or figures I crunch up in a spreadsheet for her interest)...

I really like the line you mentioned :) Some forum members have to realise that property is not everything in life, actually its just a means to an end and & totally agree on this, IPs are just a vehicle (one of many available)

Cheers,

MannyB.

Relationships are very complex thing i love to cook and my wife shows no interest at all, this does not bother me as i choose to do so and it is a passion of mine. I once asked my wife why she does not like to cook and from her perspective she did not undertand how to create a dish and was never taught the skills in her family, and because i cook so well she feels it is easier to let me do it all.

When it comes to investing we both share common goals, she worked in a bank and has a lot of skills in that regard so she feels confident to participate in investing as we know where it can take us.

I once asked someone how do you make a person interested in what you are doing and the answer is easy: SHOW ENTHUSIASM! it is contagious if you share your ideas in a positive light and once you get a few wins under your belt people will believe in you and want to share that sensation with you.

There are so many facets to a relationship I would try not to let it get in the way as being an individual is what makes people special. (and sometimes requires a lot of patience!)

Last edited:
how refreshing!!

This is a really encouraging thread! I thought that it was mainly me who had an issue with getting my wife involved in property investing. I agree with brains that there is more to life than property investing and that this is really a means to an end.
Many of us have worked hard on our IP strategies but what about our strategies for life? For me it is important to slowly draw my partner up the learning curve so that when we reach our aims I am not standing alone but can share the view.
GG - Asy's comments made a lot of sense - try to find some aspect of property investing that interests your partner and then involve her in this ... slowly ... this is a journey so the trip should be enjoyable as well as the destination.:)
cheers,
DanielB

Hi All,

Well, what a great response.

I will take a lot of those comments "onboard"

Finding a aspect of IP's that my wife will enjoy is the key.

Thanks one and all,

GG

Brains
I can't really agree.
Is property investing a hobby for you? Bloody expensive hobby!

This is probably the biggest investment that a family will ever make(especially if it the retirement plan and there are multiple houses), why should it be only on one head!??

Yes property investment is a means to an end, and that is why we do it, I know I have lots of other things I'd rather do than to run around looking at houses, talking to REA's about repairs etc, but I can see this as a way to get out of 'the rat race'.

And yes if my wife was into making dolies and it looked like it was going let us retire in tens years and we were investing the sort of money we invest in houses then my BLOODY oath I'd be interested in it!!! I honestly think it would be unfair for me NOT to be involved!!

I am not trying to be nasty here, I just look at it from a different level. If I have a hobby then I don't expect my wife to participate or even be the slightest bit interested in what I am doing but I DON"T see investing in houses as a retirement plan as a "Hobby".

I have to agree with you there Suggo. I am one of the "unfortunates" doing it on my own which is fine by me as I don't need to worry about someone else spending my hard earned cash before I do!

I know that if I had a partner who was uninterested in investing but happily spent my money willy nilly without contributing to our shared financial goals I would be more than a bit concerned.

Nat :)

I think this is the wrong way to look at it. Why share things (especially with your family) only if they have contributed to the obtaining of those things? Its a selfish outlook in my opinion.

Im sure partners who arent into property investing contribute to the family in lots of other ways, some not so tangible but just as important if not more so.

Some forum members have to realise that property is not everything in life, actually its just a means to an end and not the end in itself.

Originally posted by natmarie@work
I have to agree with you there Suggo. I am one of the "unfortunates" doing it on my own which is fine by me as I don't need to worry about someone else spending my hard earned cash before I do!

I know that if I had a partner who was uninterested in investing but happily spent my money willy nilly without contributing to our shared financial goals I would be more than a bit concerned.

Nat :)

Hi Suggo/Natmarie,

I have to say that I disagree with you on this (sorry I'm thinking along the way Brains is)... in our household we share everything... the way I see it, which ever of the two parties (of a relationship) has the ability to do something to benefit both in a substantial way, why shouldn't they both benefit? Does that mean that because I studied at Uni, did a degree, a postgrad & a Masters & have a much higher paying job that I'm superior to my wife? I don't think so... She does a far better job than me when it comes to budgeting (for the household & takes care of bills), kids, etc... & while I'm either at work OR doing a reno/building/IP stuff, she has the hardest task at hand, as I enjoy what I do both at work & with IPs... the big difference is that we don't put a monetary value on what the person staying home is achieving with the kids, etc...

I personally think & stick to my guns (you don't have to agree with me on this) that a family is like a soccer team, each having a key area of responsibility (ie. the goalkeeper cannot be expected to score all goals, etc... but work together to achieve a common goal)... the area of responsibility is defined by someone's strenghts & abilities, the goal being XYZ (what every you have set it to be, ie. a means to an end) & as long as you keep the team happy & work well together (ie. not argue that you can't spend money on this because u didn't help me paint an IP?), well you would only be wasting your time...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Great questions. I am not going to get into any discussions about what's right or wrong rather practical advice that may help you 'educate' your wife.

You have to explain some of the returns from investing that are immediately apparent. A lot of people don't like IP's because they can't see immediate returns. For example ...

You might say that an IP will cost you the same amount as 2 coffee's per day but will allow you to take overseas hollidays every year for the next 20 years (just don't mention the hollidays may be be Tasmania).

Explaining the tax benefits of negative gearing probably won't cut the mustard.

Hope this helps !

I'm glad to see that my views have helped people really think about their views in this very important area :)

Having read & digested the variety of responses, I do, however, feel that many people aren't really cognisant of the actual end they are trying to reach or the importance of the process (property investing in this case) to ALL family members.

Unlike lace doily making, cooking or playing the piano, I regard property investing as a business.

And property investment - like any other form of financial endeavour - is not about money as has been the simplistic response of some people on this thread - it's about the creation & maintenance of a specific level of desired lifestyle.

Different people require different levels of income to maintain the lifestyle they desire.

Businesses need the full participation of all principals to achieve the best return for the shareholders.

Equally, relationships require the full participation of both partners as principals to make them work for the long-term.

If you regard your life partner as a shareholder, then I can see how it would be possible to have a workable relationship where one partner earnt the money & the other spent the money.

However this also means the relationship is fundamentally unequal - not in terms of allocating workloads (such as household chores), but in the sense where one partner is responsible for the creation of lifestyle & the other is reliant on them for the maintenance of that lifestyle.

This is a client relationship where one partner is beholden to the other in ways which distort their ability to have a fully engaged and meaningful relationship.

I regard this as a recipe for a disaster IMHO, particularly with divorce rates running at 50%....

Certainly some people just want to be looked after & are willing to trade emotional involvement or, in extreme cases, sex for long-term financial security - but is this really any way to establish a meeting of minds for a great relationship?

My children are also involved in the property investment area, to the level to which they are able. They understand the process whereby we buy houses for other people to live in & help us by doing tasks (willingly!) to achieve that end, just as they are expected to contribute to our household through doing tasks such as cleaning - we're a family, we work together for our common good - which also gives us more time to play together.

And if my partner was interested in a strategy involving cooking, lace doily making or piano playing to help our entire family achieve and maintain the lifestyle we mutually desire, then I'd fully support her in this as well - it's part of being in a lifelong relationship - it's about RELATING! :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Manny,

I agree with you - sharing is the key. To me though, a partner who is not interested in helping the team or sabotages the team effort is not what I would call a sharer - more a sponger!

I am not coming down on the partners who bring up children or work in the home while the "breadwinner" earns money. I agree that this is a very important part of working together as a team and is benefiting the team. I am not saying that everyone has to contribute financially in order to enjoy the rewards.

Rather I am thinking more along the lines of a partner who contributes nothing (or very little) toward achieving shared goals (either financially or emotionally) but is first in line to spend the rewards. take my ex-fiance for example...

He didn't work for a while so I had to support us both on a secretaries wage at the time $320 after tax a week. Rent was $200 a week and the rest went on bills and groceries. My savings dwindled to nothing very quickly. Had to get a second job so was hardly ever home. Partner finally was able to go back to work (he had broken his arm playing sport). Immediately spent first pay on new mag wheels for his car when we were two weeks in arrears with the rent. This sort of behaviour went on for a while. Partner would spend his pay before he even got home from work (shouting his mates at the pub or spending it on "boys toys" with the promise that he would pay me back for his share of the rent/food etc) so my meagre wage went towards rent and groceries and even his parking fines. His work wasn't continuous either so some weeks he didn't work and didn't get paid and others he got paid a lot (not that I ever saw any of it!)

The only reason I didn't kick him out was because he owned all the furniture...

Anyway, I'm sure you can see my point that both partners need to have a shared financial goal. If one is a sponger and the other is struggling to make ends meet no one is going anywhere fast.

Have Faith!

Have faith in your wife!

I am in a similar boat at the moment. A few months ago when I read Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad (the start of my path to financial freedom) my fiance thought I was nuts! We argued a lot about my plans and goals until we decided to agree to disagree. I never mentioned my goals for us.

He would watch A Current Affair and Today Tonight and see all the self-professed gurus and stories about real estate, which arose his curiosity.

Then his mum needed him to help renovate and put in a new kitchen. This was the turning point! He absolutely loves renovating and has now realised that what I have been reading makes a hell of a lot of sense, and that we can both achieve it.

He doesnt yet have the same enthusiasm as I do, but Im sure he will become more interested as time goes on.

One thing to remember, is that your wife might feel "threatened" by all of this IP stuff- she might think it is out of her league. Your knowledge might also intimidate her. My fiance is not on the same level as I am in terms of real estate knowledge (although sometimes he thinks he is :) ) but I know that given time, he will know what I know now :)

The more you push the issue, the more you push your partner away- thats what I have found.

Anything is possible, just have faith.

My fiance swore he would NEVER travel overseas to meet his relatives in Holland. He had no interest in travelling overseas, whereas I was the opposite (a very big traveller/backpacker). Two years later, he tells me we are going overseas to Europe. This was coming from a guy who had never left Victoria, never been on a plane, a spoilt mummy's boy!
Since then I have always had faith.....

Good luck!

:D :D

Originally posted by Shaggygirl
Acey

What's with you and your obsession with the lace doilley making? :D

Shaggygirl

May be he is making a thosand of them to impresss Jas:D :D :D

He was in the bad books for forgetting flowers;)

As a retired serial entrepeneur, lace doily making for fun and profit is his next business venture :D

Originally posted by Shaggygirl
Acey

What's with you and your obsession with the lace doilley making? :D

Shaggygirl

Originally posted by Nimee
May be he is making a thosand of them to impresss Jas:D :D :D

He was in the bad books for forgetting flowers;)

What would you do with a thousand lacy doilies? Is there a market for dolies these days?

The only people I see with them are my grandmother (and she hasn't bought one in years).

I think I'll push Acey in the direction of another house instead ;)

Jas

Back