Name 3 Shares to invest in where you won't lose money in next 3 months

Yes yes, I know who has a crystal ball.

But, for someone who doesn't know a thing about shares or which companies to invest in, what are your 3 best companies to invest in where the chance of losing money over the next 3 months is highly unlikely.

If you had $30,000 to invest in shares, what are the 3 companies you would invest in for a buy & sell strategy over the next 3 months - not looking at making a huge increase - just up to 5%. Please don't ask the reasoning behind this - I have my own reasons.

Any help - much appreciated. :):)

Yes yes, I know who has a crystal ball.

But, for someone who doesn't know a thing about shares or which companies to invest in, what are your 3 best companies to invest in where the chance of losing money over the next 3 months is highly unlikely.

If you had $30,000 to invest in shares, what are the 3 companies you would invest in for a buy & sell strategy over the next 3 months - not looking at making a huge increase - just up to 5%. Please don't ask the reasoning behind this - I have my own reasons.

Any help - much appreciated. :):)

Yes easy its called cash or 3 month term deposit:D

If you are not happy to hold a stock for at least 3 yrs and you are not happy to wear fluctuations of 30% then you should not be in the market. So dont bother trying.

CI, if you're thinking about investing in shares and your goal is to make 5% in 3 months, and you plan to put $30k on 3 shares, then the best way for you to do it is....... don't. Don't invest in the sharemarket unless you understand how the returns work. Read a few books about it first.

If you need the money in 3 months, as the others said, go for a term deposit.
Alex

- not looking at making a huge increase - just up to 5%.

Not being hard to get along with, mind you. Just a simple answer: How do I make 20% pa GUARANTEED in a choppy bear market?

Get real.....:( Yesterday you had no idea about how to value a company.

In spite of that there could be a way: Buy gold.

Not being hard to get along with, mind you. Just a simple answer: How do I make 20% pa GUARANTEED in a choppy bear market?

Get real.....:( Yesterday you had no idea about how to value a company.

In spite of that there could be a way: Buy gold.

Not pretending in any way to know anything about this stuff, but a friend at work was saying something about pundits expecting the US dollar to rally a little in the near term and to be careful about picking your entry point for gold? I'm planning on holding the stuff (gold warrants, that is) until 2013, so not too concerned about getting it exactly right, but just thought I'd add my less-than-2-cents.

yeah man - sorry but if you have to ask how to invest $30k in the sharemarket, you shouldn't be investing $30k.

i guess you could always try something like www.eminisglobal.com.au and trade with them, they make a good 10% a day, 70% of the time (so 40% on their money every fortnight approx)

$30k is a good 10% deposit on a $300k home/office/commercial as well.

if you are green to the stockmarket, it will swallow you whole if you dont have some sort of education behind you.

Lucy, there are people out there saying anything you want to hear. Very few will be right. I have as much chance as any because I've heard all the arguments.

Gold is the one I like most. :D

not looking at making a huge increase - just up to 5%.

Why wait 3 months when you can make 5% in one day?
There are many good ones out there but remember that these are turbulant times
so if you buy shares you should be ready to get out quick.

Look at RHG, UGL, STB

RHG made 24% recently in just one day (on 8/2).
I think it has potential to go up more.

UGL lost 25% on 11/2 because someone big sold all his shares
but then made 10% the next day,
I think it has potential to go up more.

STB is one nice & cheap entry level stock and VERY interesting to watch
you can make or lose a lot of money quickly.
On 4/2 it went up 13%:)
on 6/2 it lost 15% :eek:
on 8/2 it went up 9%:)
on 12/2 it went up 20% :)
Today it lost 17% so if you buy on a low and sell on a high you can easily make over 10% in one day.

Cheers

Prove us wrong, and achieve what? Make 5% in 3 months? 10%? So what? You're putting in 30k. What exactly is making 3k or 6k or 10k in 3 months going to achieve, or prove? It's the long term game you have to play well. Focus too much on the short term at your peril.

I can tell you this: you make 10% in 3 months on your 30k. We're still not going to respect your share trading abilities.

BV, are you sure you didn't just give a magnum and a few hand grenades to a kid?
Alex

Hi all,

Whoa!!! hold on everyone, calm down.

Cairnsinvestor has asked what appears to be a simple question to those who are not share traders.

Cairnsinvestor, there is no such thing as a free lunch in the stockmarket. The worst case scenario is that you turn your $30k into $40k+.

The reason being that you will start to think you have the answers to make money in shares. This happens all too often. The corollary to this is that you start to bet bigger with your success behind you, until one day......

Conversely you could turn your $30k into a quick $20k. This will make you wish you had put your money into a term deposit as already stated by others.

The best thing you could do is buy some books on share trading, read about different methods, try some paper trading (it is not the same as the real thing , but it is a start). Eventually you will come across something that fits your psychological make-up. Then start small.

Or, of course you can ignore all advice, and start like the rest of us by making big mistakes and learning from them the hard way.

bye

OK, CI go get 'em.

I've been stopped out of a couple of gold and silver futures contracts in the last two days. (I won't use the normal shorthand Ag & Au, you prolly haven't met them) Made $8k in under two weeks before hitting my trailing stops. Now they (Au & Ag) are no brainers this year so just use your intelect to pick the next low and buy some. US$810 buys 1,000oz of silver expiring end of May and US$4,725 will buy one contract for 100oz gold expiring end of April.

You can buy five contracts of each and if gold goes up $10 and silver 50c in the next month (geez, how easy is that!) you've made a cool 10 big ones.

You sure as hell ain't gonna do it with the banks .

BV, are you sure you didn't just give a magnum and a few hand grenades to a kid?
Alex

Not really, CI asked a simple question and he's already got some good advise on term deposits.

I chose to answer his question.
I am sure he knows the risks involved with shares.

I gave him my opinion on 2 shares I believe have potential
and 1 which I believe can make some quick money.

My no 2 pick I am certain will go up despite the share market up's and downs.
My No 3 pick is a good one to play with.
IMHO

I'll go along with BV, with United Group being a nice company to buy.

I've held for a few years, bought for less than it's current worth. It is a growth company, with many divisions. When I bought it, it had a high PE, and very low yield. I had more than doubled my money at one point but it has since plunged. I still hold, It's still a growth company as far as I can tell, but it now appears to have a forward PE of 11, and a yield of 5.8% ff.

When I bought in 05, it had produced a profit of 42 million. 09's is forecast at 170 million.

So how's that? A bear would say it's forward earnings are too high I suppose.
If not, it's a bargain, and it was thrashed after returning what I thought was a good result. Right now, unless a company gives a much better than expected profit result, the share price gets dumped.

All opportunity if you think things aren't going to go down the toilet.

I'll go along with fish though about banks. I hold nil, and not looking at any financial stocks.

See ya's.

Yeah, yeah, the usual.
Anyone who takes free advice about shares from a farmer on a property forum deserves to lose all their money.

Last edited:
Back