Navra fund

Ok not strictly property investment
I was wondering how those who bought into the fund have found it.
Its over a yr now, and there was a thread back waiting for >1yr to allow for a better assessment. Looks like they did not charge a performance fee last yr as they underperformed.
I did steves seminar last yr and wanted to wait a while to see how the fund went.
Would you margin loan into it? ie do u think it will consistently beat 7-8% interst on margin.
How would you compare it to say colonial first state imputation.

I've pulled my money out of the fund. Didn't live up to expectations for me.
12% since inception hasn't even outperformed the indexes so I'm out.

andy

Andrew said:
I've pulled my money out of the fund. Didn't live up to expectations for me.
12% since inception hasn't even outperformed the indexes so I'm out.

andy

Andrew

It's a fact that the fund didn't outperform the index. But two questions spring to mind:

1) why is that?
2) how has it performed in the volatile market conditions we've had this financial year?

Let's look at the second question first. The fund has outperformed the relevant index by nearly 2% in the period from 1 July to 28 July. To be sure that's only a very short period, but it suggests that the methodology which underlies the fund works reasonably well in volatile market conditions. .

In answer to the first question, ask yourself this: what was the index on 1 May when the fund launched and what was it 30 June?

At inception the index was around 3000. At 30 June it was approx 3350. If you look at a chart (and I don't have the tech skills to put one in here) it's almost a 45 degree line heading up to the right. That market is exactly the wrong "shape" for the strategy of buy low sell high to work, rather it supports a "buy wherever and sell higher" approach (aka the greater fools theory). I think the fact that the fund performed as it did during an extraordinary market bull run is quite good really.

You should also remember that due to the red tape of getting licensed etc, the fund didn't get going until May 03. That meant the fund missed the buying opportunities presented by an almost 400 point fall from Jan 03 - mid april 03. (Bugger! :( ).

I don't want to speak for Steve, Bill and the team and NI (I know Steve can definitely speak for himself :rolleyes: ) but my view is that you need to take a 3-5year view (as you would with any managed fund investing in Australian equities) so that you can get a true picture. The "herd" mentality would suggest bailing out when things aren't meeting your expectations, but I think, with respect, that if you do so you're taking a very short-sighted view.

You're right to review the performance of your various investments, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater! :eek:

(Declaration of interest - I have units in the fund and shares in the company and plan on keepin em! :D )

Cheers
N.

Dee,
I put my money in there at inception, pulled most out to purchase shares in Navra Invest, have been putting money back in when I can. I tend not to look at one year performance as an indicator of a fund's performance. MF's are a longer term investment and should be treated as such. My opinion (note I said OPINION here) is you could do worse than putting your money into the fund. But then again, I've had the opportunity to see what Steve's system can really do first hand, as he's shown me some of his personal trading returns, and let me just say they weren't too shabby!

Andrew,
It's a shame that the fund didn't live up to your expectations.... But what were you expecting? Huge returns after only one year? Did you read the prospectus? Do you even understand the style of trading that the fund uses? When you take all of the factors into account (trading style, share market performance, etc.) the fund did very very well for it's first twelve months. But then again, if receiving a 12% return on your money without being charged a fee for it 'doesn't live up to your expectations', then maybe you ARE better off putting your money into a different fund that will charge you whether they make money for you or not.

I knew I would get jumped all over for that one. My expectations were higher
because of the wonderful graphs Steve showed at his seminars which were not
lived up to in the first twelve months.

I've determined that I can get higher returns by putting my money into
renovations for the time being.

Only time will tell whether it is the sellers or the holders who are being
short-sighted. With all due respect, you guys worry about your investment
returns and I'll take care of mine.

andy

Disclaimer: I also have shares in the navra company, but no money in the funds.

Andrew said:
I knew I would get jumped all over for that one. My expectations were higher
because of the wonderful graphs Steve showed at his seminars which were not
lived up to in the first twelve months.

I've determined that I can get higher returns by putting my money into
renovations for the time being.

Only time will tell whether it is the sellers or the holders who are being
short-sighted. With all due respect, you guys worry about your investment
returns and I'll take care of mine.

andy

Disclaimer: I also have shares in the navra company, but no money in the funds.

"Jumped all over"? No. I'm just putting forward my opinion, as you have yours, in a public forum to (hopefully) give Dee the benefit of some divergent views.

I agree renovation can give great returns - it's part of my total strategy (doing another one at the moment in fact ;) ).

Happy to let you worry about your investment returns - mine are the only ones that I care about! :D

Best of luck
N.

Seems a safe bet to me

Hi guys

We stuck some reasonably significant amounts (for us anyway) in the Navra fund (we also own some shares in the company) but finally found an IP worth drawing the money out for in the last few weeks. We had about 6 months in the fund.

Steve's suggestion is (if I listened correctly) use the fund as a reasonably low risk vehicle to hold your money and earn some returns, until you have the ability to invest in the next IP, rather than wasting any equity you might have by leaving your money dormant.

Which is what we did. We earned around 10 % on our money in the Navra fund while paying about 6% on our LOC for the money, so we made a bit of dough, and we're now comfortable we found a property that will yield us better than that - at least over the next 10 year period we judged the particular investment on.

Personally, we found Steve Navra and his advice a fantastic help. We don't think you could go wrong following the principles he teaches. As outlined elsewhere, this is OUR OPINION (based on OUR EXPERIENCE) :)

Your money is put in blue chip Australian equities, and then only the pick of those, managed by arguably the most knowledgeable people involved in the industry. We judge people on their results, and they certainly got the results for us, considering the risk involved was not huge.

I sincerely doubt Steve would suggest you shouldn't put your money toward property improvements if they will generate a comparable return from increased yield in income and capital growth. In fact my understanding was that's part of what he suggests you do with your money. If I remeber correctly, he clearly states acquisition and improvement of property is a key to your future financial success.

I don't know if Steve's presentation has changed, but he was pretty clear to us that there were no guarantees, you are after all dealing in the share market. He did also explain the graph we saw was based on certain criteria that may not be repeated etc etc.

The Navra fund is part of a journey to long-term capital wealth. The suitability of the fund for an individual's investment strategy depends on the investor's own portfolio and their financial position. It definitely benefitted us, and will again, when we next have some equity we want to put to use, while we use it to build up sufficient funds to buy another property to add to our growth portfolio.

12% not having outperformed the indexes is kind of irrelevant unless you have the requisite expertise to do better yourself. We also have a SMSF which overall thankfully did even better than Navra, but only because a couple of stocks blitzed it, the other stocks in our portfolio (all blue chip well-researched and safe as houses medium growth prospects) did about 3 %.

Good luck making a balanced decision :)

TryHard

A small additional point.

If you bought in a fund which followed the index, you would also probably be paying some sort of admion fee. Steve's fund did not charge any fee, as it did not perform to the asx.

Hi all,

Nigel, thanks for your "informed" opinion...

"but my view is that you need to take a 3-5year view (as you would with any managed fund investing in Australian equities) so that you can get a true picture."

perhaps a little reality on the situation I have extracted from the Travis Morien webpage http://www.travismorien.com/FAQ/main.htm

"A rather common piece of advice given is that anyone investing in the stock markets should consider a five year investment term for very good returns. In fact, it is argued, a five year investment time frame is a good cure for almost all risk in share investing, such a medium term time frame is all you need in order to make good on any bad purchase decisions, such as buying at the peak of a bull market and then suffering the effects of a crash. Five years is a nice number for investment advisors to use as it is considered suitably long term for most people, yet doesn't involve tying up your money for decades. It provides a nice cozy assurance that your investment will always pay off, it is just a matter of a little time.

Looking at the return of the All Ordinaries Index from the period of March 1950 to December 1999 (taken from Sensible Share Investing by Austin Donnelly, pg. 34) it can be seen that a five year investment horizon is not actually any guarantee of success in the market (let alone a single stock, which can be infinitely more volatile).

Over one year periods the All Ords has returned between 80.3% and -45.4%. Extending the time frame to five years the best result was an impressive 367% gain, or 36.1% compound, however the worst result was 14.5% per annum falls (a drop of 54% in the value of a portfolio over the course of five years). The best result over ten years was 22.7% a year compounded, but the worst was a 3.4% PA loss, meaning that over ten years an investment would have returned a loss of 29.2%. This is depressing, because ten years is ultra ultra long term in the eyes of many people, to still be losing so much money is intolerable. Over 15 years it was still possible to be 0.9% PA behind (a 12.6% loss).

In the last 50 years there have been no 20 year time frames when an investment portfolio was in the red, and the best 20 year result was 13.1%PA. Over 30 years the long term returns of the market become more apparent, the very best return over 30 years was a 9.7% compounded gain. In this study 15 years was about the longest time to be still showing a loss, however if the study had gone back to the crash of 29 the results would have been even more disturbing. The Dow Jones Industrials took more than 25 years to bounce back from the great crash. Could another super-crash like 1929 still happen? In theory, yes it could, many say actually that this is inevitable due to the massive gains that have ignited the market in the last couple of decades, we are looking at capital gains not seen since... the 1920s.

Now that we have all of the doomsaying over and done with, note the return of the 30 year investment being "only" 9.7%. An interesting phenomenon in market pricing that has significant application in contrarian investment is known as the regression to the mean. In his book Against the Gods - the remarkable story of risk, Peter Bernstein shows that overall the vast majority of mutual funds have a very similar return. Comparing different five year periods where the market made overall similar returns it was shown that the best mutual fund strategies in one five year period were often the worst in another, and vice versa. Some funds had very good years while others had bad years, then they swapped, but very few funds ever consistently did better than the pack.

The same thing is noticed in individual stocks, a few shares really outperform the market but most tend to do just average. Some shares that put up a few years of great outperformance will stagnate or fall in the following years so that their overall long term return is merely average. This is why investment advisors have to put that little disclaimer on their publications about "past results being no guarantee of future success."

It has in fact been proven by extensive research that when the market has had a number of good years a downturn is inevitable, and when the market has been bearish for a while an upspring is due, all in direct opposition to the random walk theory that usually accompanies the efficient market hypothesis. The market is chaotic, in the same sense as the mathematical definition of non-linear systems in physics and mathematics. It isn't often statistically predictable, but it certainly isn't random. Some great indicators have been fashioned out of this advice, see the section on contrarian investment for more details.

So what was the point of this article? Merely to state that "long term" means decades, not just a few years. Investing in the markets for five years is no guarantee at all of success. In the portfolios section of this FAQ I've written an article entitled "Returns of Each Asset Class", I produced three long term charts showing the rolling returns for five, ten and twenty year periods of holding US stocks. "

My suggestion is that people who wish to invest in the stockmarket spend some time reading and learning, and

http://www.travismorien.com/FAQ/main.htm

is a very informative site to begin with.

As for Tryhard, your statement

"arguably the most knowledgeable people involved in the industry"

maybe a little over the top. However I am fully prepared to listen to your arguments as to why you think so!!

bye

Hi All,

I am currently in the USA (returning Monday - I MISS HOME) . . . couldn't help noticing this post:

1) My goal in setting up the Navrainvest funds was to provide my clients a safe medium in which they could invest in the stock market, as a diversifying balance to their property investments.

2) I stated up front that my expectations were to achieve double digit returns, IRRESPECTIVE of what the market returned. The long term average of the index (As pointed out by Bill) has been less than 10%, so anything greater than this would over a time period suffice and is certainly better than the cash return.

3) Of particular importance is the fact that the Navrainvest funds, are INCOME funds . . . so each investor has to date received a 10%+ distribution, which is now locked away. (In other words, even if there is a market crash tomorrow, they having received their distribution, cannot lose this portion.)

4) The first year of operation was always going to be difficult:

The Navrainvest funds operate by methodology of 'Dollar Cost Trading' - where stocks are purchased at low points and profits are locked in by realising gains at higher prices. This realised gain accrues out of volume under management.

The point I make is this:
After one month there was approximately $1.0 million under management . . . increasing at about $1.5 million per month. Currently there is $21.5 million of clients ( And my own!) money under management. The realised gains can only be made against the funds under management as they exist, so please realise that the compounding effect DOES NOT occur, until such time that a certain volume of funds under management exists.

EXAMPLE:

Imagine a 30% (!!) return in the first month of operation:

$1,000.000 at 30% = $300,000 (This would seem fantastic) BUT:

When applied to total funds under management at the end would be $300,000 / $21,500,000 = 1.4%.

IN OTHER WORDS:
If the fund started at $20+ million at day one, then there would have been far greater volume to trade and thus far greater accruing realised gains.

A fund has to start at some point in time and then build up its funds under managment.

As at last nights close the S&P 200 index is at -0.86%
The fund has performed at 1.15% gross. (Outperformed at 2.01% for the month)

NOTE: this is too short a time period on which to base judgement . . . I use it merely to represent the point about realising profits from the volume of funds under management.

Summary:
I regard the (NET of fees)12.41% and 10% distribution in our FIRST year as very satisfactory, and certainly within the range of expectations I offered at inception.

Put in another way:
The best of the managed funds have achieved 11% average over the longer term (5 to 10 years) so if we continue to post double digit returns (net of fees) irrespective of market conditions, we will be right up there with the best. We certainly are enjoying a good start to this financial year - showing that one can accrue profits, even in a declining market.

Only time will tell, good luck with your investing.

Sincerely,

Steve

PS: Good article Bill.L - I agree historical returns can be superflous and that medium to long term projections are used as an excuse by most fund manages! Actual returns (Dollars in the bank) are what really count . . . and as long as I can produce absolute (Positive) net of fees returns for my clients we shall all be happy. :)

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

It seems to me that the Navra fund is an absolute return fund, in that what you get is mostly dependant on the skill on the manager(s) and their "system".

It operates very differently to most (if not all) "managed funds" and the "ASX". So really, there is little point thinking you are going to get similar results.

GarryK

TryHard said:
12% not having outperformed the indexes is kind of irrelevant unless you have the requisite expertise to do better yourself.

I'd have to respectfully disagree here. The proverbial monkey throwing darts
at a stock listing will approximate the index. An actively managed fund run by experts in their field should be able to exceed the benchmark.

andy

Hi Andrew,

I have to disagree with your last statement

"An actively managed fund run by experts in their field should be able to exceed the benchmark."

In you added together the results of all the experts in all the funds, you would get a result that equaled the indexes minus commissions, transaction costs and taxes(if any).

I've never seen an advert for a fund that didn't expect to beat the index! Just imagine how little money you would get in if you actually promoted index-2% :eek: yet that is probably the average.

bye

The problem is they often dont. Often simply because they have more money to invest in a boom as everyone wants to get in on the money and hence they feel pressure to invest that money agressively and get good returns for their investors. Then comes the inenevitable bust, and the fund sells off all its growth stocks to "stop the rot". This means the fund is last to take advantage of the next upswing. Also when the market is poor, the managed fund usually has less money to invest. Its not the funds fault or the people running it that the majority of investors expect the fund to outperform on the way up yet not loose money in the event of a downturn, that just isnt realistic. Good investors buy low, sell high. Managed funds have no choice but to try and buy high (they only start getting good money once the boom is well underway) and sell higher, yet magically pull out just before the big crash.

Tell me if im overlooking anything important here. The main point though im trying to make is, most managed funs are victims of the mentality of their investers rather than their lack of skill of their analysts.

It is far easier for a start-up fund to exceed the averages. Starting fresh with a small pool, the manager can be pro-active.

After a couple of good years the money pours in and it gets harder, inertia takes effect and the once profitable niches are no longer big enough for the fund. The percentages drop, sometimes dramatically, but "%gain for last five years" still looks impressive because of those early figures. Profit qouted on a weighted basis would be much more modest, and honest.

I think this is contrary to what Steve said, but I believe it to be true.

Thommo

I agree. I remember when Warren Buffet came out and said at a stockholders meeting that with all the new money his company now has through its investments, that its going to be harder to keep up the high returns. It's generally easier to get high returns on a $20,000 share portfolio than a $2,000,000 one. One other thing about managed funds, their not closed ended like stock market companies. Theres only so many shares a company has (hence law of scarcity), yet if a managed fund does well, the unit trustees just rub their hands together and create more units with the inflow in cash.

Bill, that is exactly my point. All of these "experts" are running funds that
can't beat a monkey throwing darts.

andy

n.b. I'm no longer talking about Navra exclusively but managed funds in
general.

Intersting points

Bill.L said:

Now that we have all of the doomsaying over and done with, note the return of the 30 year investment being "only" 9.7%. An interesting phenomenon in market pricing that has significant application in contrarian investment is known as the regression to the mean. In his book Against the Gods - the remarkable story of risk, Peter Bernstein shows that overall the vast majority of mutual funds have a very similar return. Comparing different five year periods where the market made overall similar returns it was shown that the best mutual fund strategies in one five year period were often the worst in another, and vice versa. Some funds had very good years while others had bad years, then they swapped, but very few funds ever consistently did better than the pack.

The same thing is noticed in individual stocks, a few shares really outperform the market but most tend to do just average. Some shares that put up a few years of great outperformance will stagnate or fall in the following years so that their overall long term return is merely average. This is why investment advisors have to put that little disclaimer on their publications about "past results being no guarantee of future success."

It has in fact been proven by extensive research that when the market has had a number of good years a downturn is inevitable, and when the market has been bearish for a while an upspring is due, all in direct opposition to the random walk theory that usually accompanies the efficient market hypothesis. The market is chaotic, in the same sense as the mathematical definition of non-linear systems in physics and mathematics. It isn't often statistically predictable, but it certainly isn't random. Some great indicators have been fashioned out of this advice, see the section on contrarian investment for more details.

bye

Hi Bill. Some good points. I was just wondering if you could clarify a couple of points for me.

Let's not refer to individual stocks here as I'm sure we can all find an example or two to make any case we want.

I think in most actively managed portfolios of 10 or more stocks you will probably always get a couple of stocks that in the medium term far exceeds your expectations and a couple that fall below those expectations.

For the sake of argument, let's also assume the stocks that make up the portfolio are large, reputable companies with good fundamentals.

Are you saying that you believe these stocks individually, and the portfolio as a whole will 'regress to the mean' over the medium term?

If so, why would you feel uncomfortable with purchasing below this 'mean' and selling above? NB. Yes by all means include 'stop losses'.

:)

qazwsx said:
I agree. I remember when Warren Buffet came out and said at a stockholders meeting that with all the new money his company now has through its investments, that its going to be harder to keep up the high returns. It's generally easier to get high returns on a $20,000 share portfolio than a $2,000,000 one. One other thing about managed funds, their not closed ended like stock market companies. Theres only so many shares a company has (hence law of scarcity), yet if a managed fund does well, the unit trustees just rub their hands together and create more units with the inflow in cash.

Just to quote myself here. Why is it most "managed funds" are open ended unit trusts and not closed ended "listed investment companies"?. Do managers of managed funds (trustees of unit trusts) get proportionatly more for running the system this way?.

Andrew said:
Bill, that is exactly my point. All of these "experts" are running funds that
can't beat a monkey throwing darts.

andy

n.b. I'm no longer talking about Navra exclusively but managed funds in
general.
I'm simply surprised that no entrepreneur has as yet created a managed fund whose system involves using monkeys to throw darts to pick the stocks. It could be immensely popular amongst punters.

Though it could be somewhat embarrassing should it outperform the other funds....or the monkey be seen about town with married movie stars on his/her arm.

It would make a good story - Monkey makes Forbes Top 400 Wealthiest People List.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back