Navra Legal Action

My main concern with his structure was that it relied on ongoing growth and the ability to refinance to draw down equity to keep on going . At one of his seminars I asked him what would happen if there wasn't ongoing growth and you couldn't refinance . His answer was it would be a disaster , but it's not going to happen . Well it did happen .

Navra was not the only one, this strategy was promoted by many property gurus who are not around anymore, and of course property investors who were highly leveraged got burnt badly.

It did not help that GFC hit, change in bank policy, adding to the pain.

I for one never believed that lo docs/no docs would be scraped.

Lesson learnt, watch your debt level and cash flow.

MTR

Part of the reason why I don't know is that most threads that raise Steve are deleted or referred to another ( I assume lower traffic ) forum. Given this forum was the platform that generated much of his business I don't think it's unreasonable to have ongoing debate here .

Not quite accurate.

There was one thread which discussed Steve's "Living on Equity" strategy which was removed for a number of reasons. It's complex and we've been over this before.

There's been plenty of other discussion about the topic which still remains on this site if you care to go hunting for it.

There were a few other threads which ended up in defamatory territory, which got removed (like many other threads on this site about other topics for similar reasons).

The main problem is that the topic has become so emotional for many people (completely understandable), that it becomes difficult to discuss it without it turning into a defamatory nightmare. I'm not saying it can't be discussed - I'm just explaining why so much stuff ends up getting deleted. This is not unique to the topic of Steve Navra - Ian Somers and I get almost weekly threats from lawyers about content posted on this site.

Case in point - I would suggest caution discussing The McCarthy Group in relation to Steve Navra - make sure you get your facts right and don't make assertions about the actions of that company because of Steve's history. Steve does not run that company - he merely works for them.

Either way, I'm happy to answer any questions people have about Navra Financial Services, Navra Invest and Steve Navra to try and clear up any misunderstandings - I do think there are some valuable lessons to be learned.

Sim

The main reason I responded to this post was because of you referring questions to another forum .

I see no reason why this should happen .

If we only have good news , Rah rah posts ( and I'm guilty of those in the past and recently as mark has been quick to point out ...;) ) then newer members will get an unrealistic vision of property investing .

When the market is moving it's easy to get caught up in the hype and forget that things can and one day will again turn nasty , and if people invest in high risk ways , they will get hurt .

Cliff

I think the point of that other forum is for people who were shareholders to discuss how things are progressing. These are specifics which only interest a few, and presumably, being a closed forum, can be discussed a little more freely.

More general questions are OK in here as long as they don't cross the legal line.

I think the point of that other forum is for people who were shareholders to discuss how things are progressing. These are specifics which only interest a few, and presumably, being a closed forum, can be discussed a little more freely.

Geoff , for those who are interested , but not participants , can you , or sim , give a summary of what happened .

Cliff

It would appear that the cause of the failure was because he ventured outside of the stock-standard residential property investments. If he kept within that then we would not be discussing this today. I am not surprised since as you get bigger you need to buy bigger asset classes to achieve the same return.

Geoff , for those who are interested , but not participants , can you , or sim , give a summary of what happened .
I've heard stories but I don't have facts. I lost money but not a lot in comparison to some. My losses were limited to most, but not all, of my original investment through a not very big SMSF.

The main reason I responded to this post was because of you referring questions to another forum .

I see no reason why this should happen .

Yes, apologies - I didn't realise you were referring to my comments about sharesq.com ... as Geoff mentioned, this is a private forum I set for shareholders of NavraInvest and unitholders in the Navra Structured Property Fund to discuss issues relating to the winding up of the company and sale of the fund to another fund manager.

I'm more than happy to discuss details here - but it's not a simple one-line answer as to "what happened" ... it's quite a long and complicated story. Will post more once I get time.

I guess it could be summarised as:

1. very high gearing + relying on an "equity fund" for income + GFC (ie income from equities disappeared) = everything fell apart for many clients of Navra Financial Services (NFS)

2. NFS got into insurance trouble (insurance became too expensive) because of complaints from clients and was forced to wind up and sell off its client book

3. NavraInvest tried unsuccessfully to find a new marketing arm for its funds, including looking at JVs with other companies

4. NavraInvest tried to enter a JV with Quantum Financial Services, but by the time NavraInvest fought through the red tape thrown up by ASIC, it was basically too late, ASIC then refused to approve the PDS for the JV proposal, NavraInvest ran out of money, was forced to wind up

5. in the background of all of this were legal actions against many investors who invested in Great Southern who then refused to pay back their loans (which had been sold to Bendigo Bank), because they were under the belief that they were non-recourse loans

6. with personal debts from Great Southern and the failure of his companies, Steve declared himself personally bankrupt

7. NavraInvest is currently in the final process of being wound up, taking a while because of issues winding up the Asia Pacific Growth Fund.

8. Structured Property Fund was sold to Future Asset Management International (FAMI)

... I think that just about covers it. Point 1 that I made above, is a very simplistic description of the problem - there could (and possibly should!) be books written about this.

It would appear that the cause of the failure was because he ventured outside of the stock-standard residential property investments. If he kept within that then we would not be discussing this today. I am not surprised since as you get bigger you need to buy bigger asset classes to achieve the same return.

I don't think property was the cause of failure at all - yes, the Structured Property Fund failed to perform, but that wasn't what brought NFS and then NI undone ... at least, not on its own.

I don't think property was the cause of failure at all - yes, the Structured Property Fund failed to perform, but that wasn't what brought NFS and then NI undone ... at least, not on its own.

Yes that's my point - it wasn't property that failed, it was the other investments that money was poured into.

Thanks for that sim

Obviously great southern was a significant if not the main reason , however the extent of gearing across the length of the property cycle was , I imagine a factor . The business cycle is a cycle ......:rolleyes: and maintaining a constant fairly high LVR gives people less room to manoeuvre if thing ( as they almost invariably do ) go wrong .

Out side the regular investment books that get recommended , I think " the black swan " by Nicholas taleb is essential reading . It's probably one of the most ego driven books I've read .

Essentially he says that large unexpected events occure more frequently than they should statistically , and it's foolish not to be prepared for them. Even though I know I didn't predict the GFC , given the extent of growth in the preceding years , I certainly expected a downturn to some extent , so by the time the GFC hit we were down to an LVR of around 15 %. At the moment we' re gearing up and I expect over the next couple of years we will go on a couple more buying trips , but then I'll be happy to see the LVR run down again due to capital growth and some selling. If that all goes to plan , I might take the apprentice of my name tag ...

Cliff

Curious he now holds a day job, just because his business went belly up does not necessarily mean he lost any of his personal fortune... or perhaps he did??? I recall his property portfolio was impressive with properties mainly in Syd blue chip areas.

A good "structologist" ?

Sim notes that he personally went bankrupt. Then depends on whether " his " assets were held in any other entities or by other people .

How that's seen by administrators will depend on on when that occured .

One difference between Alan Bond and say Christopher sakes , is That some of Alan bonds money went elsewhere long before he had trouble where as skase did it when it was obvious there was a problem

I do remember seeing something in ? Title deeds about Steve buying a property in sydney for around ten mill prior to the GFC . Correct me if I'm wrong .

Cliff

I do remember seeing something in ? Title deeds about Steve buying a property in sydney for around ten mill prior to the GFC . Correct me if I'm wrong .

I don't know the prices involved - but it would be in the multiple-millions of dollars.

I believe he was forced to sell that property to pay the ATO or something like that.

I have no doubt his family had assets hidden away in trusts - indeed, that is what trusts are for, no?

I don't think there is any evidence (that I'm aware of) that funds had been misappropriated or there was anything else untoward about the operation of the businesses which would indicate that money had been hidden from people who had a right to it?

I'm pretty sure that most of the assets that would have been put in those trusts were purchased long before there was a problem with NFS/NI?

Don't forget that Steve personally invested in everything he put his clients in. He had a lot of money in Great Southern. He had a lot of money in the funds. He also owned a large portion of the company (although whether that was his money is a matter for debate). Either way, when the company went under, he lost a LOT (in absolute figures, he lost a lot more than all his clients). He also was planning on retiring by now, which is something he can no longer do - much like many of his clients. Not that I imagine he is suffering financial hardship :rolleyes:

I'm not defending him, just trying to explain the facts - and I personally think that a situation where there is little or no recourse for investors damaged by arguably poor advice, is really quite deplorable. It got to the point (back on the original topic of this thread) where there was no point even trying to mount a legal case - not even to test the question of whether inappropriate advice was given, since there is no money to be had even if it was proven. I think that is very disappointing and reflects poorly on our financial system.

It got to the point (back on the original topic of this thread) where there was no point even trying to mount a legal case - not even to test the question of whether inappropriate advice was given, since there is no money to be had even if it was proven. I think that is very disappointing and reflects poorly on our financial system.

Does it?

Are (generally well-heeled) investors to be regarded as 'consumers' or 'business people'?

It's a very different mentality with different government and institutional obligations.

Having great consumer protection + fantastic returns is of course ideal but unlikely due to the fundamental contradiction of safety vs potential return.

If we regard investors like naive consumers then we put in all sort of consumer protection rules that tries to protect people against their own greed and makes risk-taking behaviour unlawful. Arguments in favour of this include asymetric information and the misery that big losses can cause (including to the taxpayer as we have to pick up the tab for pensions etc). And we hate seeing Dodgy Bros get away with stuff.

On the other hand, if we regard investors like adult business people then the government minimises regulations and protection, expecting people do do their own investigations. If we bet the house (or more) on a crazy scheme and it fails then we're on our own, except for the right to take civil action (expensive and potentially futile).

My understanding is that the term 'sophisticated investor' aligns more wih the latter.

ASIC refer to this term at: http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/Certificates+issued+by+a+qualified+accountant

Navra clearly aimed his wares at the 'sophisticated investor' eg http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45520 & http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Steve-Navra/575847192

It's terrible that people lose money through bad investments, but beyond a certain point I'm not sure about the extent that government could or should protect people against their own greed, ignorance or bad judgement, given its poor track record.

Especially people who by proclaiming themselves as 'sophisticated investors' are effectively saying they're 'too cool for school' and the normal consumer protections.

Does it?

Are (generally well-heeled) investors to be regarded as 'consumers' or 'business people'?

Navra clearly aimed his wares at the 'sophisticated investor' eg http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45520 & http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Steve-Navra/575847192

It's terrible that people lose money through bad investments, but beyond a certain point I'm not sure about the extent that government could or should protect people against their own greed, ignorance or bad judgement, given its poor track record.

Especially people who by proclaiming themselves as 'sophisticated investors' are effectively saying they're 'too cool for school' and the normal consumer protections.

I think the difference here Spiderman is that I believe a sophisticated investor would generally make their own decisions and not rely on advice from a financial advisor on how to invest.

Having met many of Steve's NFS clients, I would NOT consider many of them to be sophisticated investors - they were your typical "Mum and Dad" investors who relied completely (and sometimes blindly!) on the advice given to them by their advisor.

If you actually look at the links you provided, in context, there is no suggestion that Steve ONLY provided services and products to sophisticated investors - to me, it read like a marketing spiel intended to make Steve look like he was able to play with the "big boys".

There were a few people I know who were shareholders in NavraInvest but were not really clients of NFS, they didn't rely on NFS for advice and made their own decisions about what to invest in. Some of these people I would definitely consider sophisticated investors - they have a good understanding of the risks and know how to manage it well. I don't recall any of these people seeking to take legal action - they weren't given bad advice (except perhaps their own!).

While I am generally in the camp of "take responsibility for your own decisions", I also recognise that there are some people who really do not have an understanding of financial markets and the complexity of many of these financial products and relied almost completely on the advice of their advisor.

This is, of course, where things get really grey. On one side you could argue that if they didn't understand it, they should not have invested in it. On the other side, you could argue that this is what advisors are for - guiding people who need assistance selecting appropriate investments _because_ they don't understand enough themselves.

The argument about where the buck stops (poor choice of words - we all know it stops at the banks and never comes back :rolleyes: ) is a difficult one and I see valid arguments on both sides.

The fact of the matter is - many people relied on the advice of an advisor. Now quite a few are close to being destitute, they lost everything, including the family home - many have had to come out of retirement because they no longer have any money.

Yes, financial markets do bad things - yes there are risks - but does that absolve the advisor of responsibility? Isn't it part of their job to be able to manage that risk for their client and make sure they aren't exposed in such a way that they potentially stand to lose everything?

I guess the argument comes down to trying to work out what the role of a financial advisor really is. If it is nothing more than suggesting investments with no responsibility if things go bad (because the client signed an SOA), then surely there also needs to be an assessment of whether the client really is capable of understanding the risks and making decisions when things go bad. I guess that comes under the process of determining the risk profile of the client though.

Of course, the counter argument to everything is that nobody complains when things are going well - indeed, clients will often be pushing their advisors to do more and get better returns. Will they then listen when things go bad and tough decisions need to be made?

I know of several situations where exactly this happened - a client refused to take the advice of selling down and taking losses before things became even worse, and they did get worse, and they lost everything. If you give a client advice and they refuse to take it, what more can be done?

At the end of the day, I believe that some of the structures used by NFS for their clients were far above the risk-profile I would personally consider acceptable (which is why I never invested using those structures) - in particular, many of the products or structures were not able to be unwound (without great cost) in the case where the proverbial hit the fan.

Personally, I've learned to be extremely wary of structured products where you are effectively locked in to a (long) fixed term and have very little flexibility in the situation where things go bad. Things change - life changes - markets change - the world changes ... being able to keep your head above water relies on your ability to adapt to those changes. If you've locked yourself into a commitment that you have very little flexibility with, you might well find yourself in water which is too deep to get out of.

In the case of many NFS clients, they were pretty much forced to remain invested through the worst of the GFC because unwinding their structures was not really an option - and when they did, they took massive losses at every step because it was already too late to avoid it.

In summary - I don't know what the answer is. But surely the outcome we have now is less than ideal?

Disclaimer – I am not implying or alleging any impropriety on the part of Steve Navra or anyone associated with his former investment business. This is a NFS thread and I am simply using it as an example.

[emphasis added]

I'm not so sure about that...

All those two links say is this:

Steve has more than 20 years of accounting, stock broking and property investment experience, Steve is an innovator in the ever-changing property and investment market. Since moving to Sydney in the early 1990s, he has been the driving force behind some of Australia's premier investment companies. Steve's personal mission statement is to optimize investment structures. He is committed to providing educational and ongoing support for the sophisticated investor

and

NavraInvest Limited
NavraInvest offers a unique approach to the management of share funds. The NavraInvest approach is to actively manage a portfolio of blue chip shares to produce income that is a high proportion of the total return of the Funds. The approach aims to produce absolute annual returns using a proprietary quantitative trading system called NavTraDE that is contrarian in nature

To me that just sounds like marketing spin. Find me a funds manager that doesn't engage in that, at some level, if you will?

One of Steve's points of difference (afaik) was that he wasn't a minion for some big cumbersome and rules-oriented FM - he was his own man doing his own thing. And he was quick to highlight that iirc.

Moving onto the last (ASIC) link you provided said this -

Generally people buying securities and other financial products must, under the Corporations Act 2001(the Corporations Act), be given a regulated disclosure document such as a prospectus or product disclosure statement However, the Act has some exemptions from these requirements.

One of those exemptions is the offering of financial products to a person (either a natural person or a legal person) who is the subject of a current certificate from a qualified accountant certifying they have a prescribed net asset or gross income level.

A person holding such a certificate is a:

‘sophisticated investor’ for the purposes of Chapter 6D (if they are offered debt or shares) or

‘wholesale client’ for the purposes of Chapter 7 (if they are offered a financial product, other than insurance, superannuation or a retirement savings account product or service) and the financial product is not used in connection with a business

* * *​

Well, my perspective is this - and I will declare at the outset that for 5 years until earlier this year I was a Senior Financial Adviser with a major bank in NZ.

Irrespective of whether Mr Navra was running around using terms like "sophisticated" or "proprietary" or even claiming to be Warren Buffett's long lost investment twin - the test of whether he was pitching at sophisticated investors (gross income of $250k pa for the last 2 years or net assets over $2.5m according to that site) really comes down to whether said investors identified themselves as such through a "current certificate from a qualified accountant" .

I suspect in the majority of cases, Mr Navra's clients were not sophisticated and were / are still subject to the consumer protections that so irk you.

But as Sim said - would or should they pursue this further?

I've seen the carnage that "inappropriate" advice / poor disclosure can wreak on people's lives. Was I a perfect adviser? No, but I did my best, and I'm pleased to say that I can still look all of my former clients in the eye (investments go up and down, mostly up I am pleased to say, but nothing I had a hand in collapsed).

However I have sat down with dozens of people who had investments sourced elsewhere but who also happened to have accounts at the bank I worked for and had to explain to them just how much money they have lost (amounts from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands of dollars) as a result of the advice they received / decisions they made.

It would not come as a surprise to hear that the microscope is now being turned on the former Directors and Executives of these collapsed companies. Indeed the NZ Serious Fraud Office (SFO) which is essentially our ASIC is now working through dozens of investigations. They’re not looking for money to distribute to creditors and investors – that is the job of the liquidators. They’re looking to see if the disclosure statements and other information provided to investors at the time, and the subsequent management of the assets, was appropriate. Some of these Directors and Execs will be exonerated, some will be banned from acting in certain positions for a period of time, and some will also do time as a guest of Her Majesty.

Yes, greed can get the better of some people when they make investment decisions. But that is no reason why persons in power (Execs and Direcs) should not be held accountable for things (risks) they should have divulged earlier (or at all, if they never divulged them). So I am happy for big brother to step in as appropriate and for him to wield his stick….

Postscript -

For those that are curious, a list of collapsed finance companies in NZ can be found here.... it is a long list.

Last edited:
Back