Navra Performance Fee

Hi

Looks like Navra get a $0.00 performance fee again for this quarter, how long can they keep going like this?

Now I know the minimum suggested investment term is 5 years but they seem to be under performing the market consistently in my amateur view.

Comments welcome.

highs and lows

From my understanding the Navra fund will not do as well when the market is booming?

They are expected to get better returns with downward market? due to there investing strategy.

obiwan said:
From my understanding the Navra fund will not do as well when the market is booming?

They are expected to get better returns with downward market? due to there investing strategy.

I think you mean a volatile market with ups and downs to allow trades in and out with their Dollar Cost Trading methodology.

Hi Cheeks
Back a few years ago Steve asked me to trial a beta version of his share program. From that experience, I would imagine that because the market is continually going up there is not much trading going on except scooping some profits off the top and positioning themselves to buy when a significant hickup occurs. They will probably be in a very good buying position if that occurs. I know that Steve's new program is far more sophisticated than the old beta version so it might be a good idea to ask him yourself why the fund is not currently performing.
Hope this helps.
Simon

I was really wondering how a company can keep a float when it may not acheive a fee for 12 months or more, that doesn't sound very sustainable.

Hi cheeks
That is why I suggest you ask Steve that question. I don't think he posts on this forum anymore.
Regards
Simon
PS I am not a subscriber to his fund so I don't feel qualified to comment any further.:)

Simon said:
I think you mean a volatile market with ups and downs to allow trades in and out with their Dollar Cost Trading methodology.
I could show you charts of some very volitile stocks. ERA is so obvious even I can trade it. CTX would drive a methodist to drink.

Is there a good copywriter with a selective memory out there who can present me as a GURU? Sorry, that word's been banned hasn't it?

Even the much maligned, stodgy ole super funds are going to return 15%.

Mrs Thommo hates it but I spend half the weekend reading/listening on the web, doing top-down anal. So far I have not needed a mentor. Nor would you if you committed yourself. Golf, football and mowing DO get in the way tho. LOL

Thommo

I'm still just guessing, but I would guess the reason for the underperformance still comes down to the same old 9 letters,

BHP RIO WPL.

Anyone checked the markets tonight? Tomorrow could be big! Ahh, perhaps I should have said bigger.

See ya's.

Hi all,

I know I'm not meant to comment on the Navra stuff, but I can't help myself.

If the DCT strategy involves buying more of the certain set of "bluechips" when they go down in price, and progressively selling them as they rise, then the fund would probably hold less of the stocks like BHP, RIO, WPL etc at this point in time. Therefore the fund would not be participating as heavily in the rise of these sorts of stocks as the ASX200.

But of course I do not know anything!

bye

Hi Bill
That's pretty much the way I see it. But I feel I should not comment as I don't know Steve's current reactive strategy to the current market.:)
Simon

Bill.L said:
If the DCT strategy involves buying more of the certain set of "bluechips" when they go down in price, and progressively selling them as they rise, then the fund would probably hold less of the stocks like BHP, RIO, WPL etc at this point in time. Therefore the fund would not be participating as heavily in the rise of these sorts of stocks as the ASX200.

But of course I do not know anything!
Hi Bill,

I, OTOH, do know something. Before the launch of the DCT the 'DCT program' was released for testing by attendees of his course. At the time I told Steve that this was insecure and anyone could decompile it - he said 'Impossible - try it if you like'. As a computer programmer who likes a challenge & has written numerous trading algorithms, I did. As a result, I chose not to invest.

Buying increasing amounts of quality stocks as they fall and selling them progressively on the back way up is a trading strategy that works some of the time. All trading strategies work some of the time - usually their best results are the last 10 years that have been used for back-testing:D.

KJ

All,

As most of you would know, I hold units in the NavTrade Retail fund and take a very active interest in the funds performance. I also spent quite a bit of time on InvestEd discussing the funds underperformance of the ASX200 in the current market phase with Steve. His response was that the fund was unlikely to beat the market in a rising market, but would beat it in a flat market and kill it in a falling market. The stated objective of the NavTrade fund is to return an income to its unit holders to offset the holding costs of their highly leveraged IP holdings. This is in line with the Navra "structure" methodology that Steve espouces. To that end, the fund is more conservative than others on the market and serves a specific niche need.

For those interested in the specific performance of the fund over the last quarter, please see the attached spreadsheet where I have modelled the precise unit prices and ASX200 closing prices for the last three months and compared the relative growth in each over that period.

The overall performance of the retail fund for the period was +4.67% versus the ASX200 index performance of +7.41%. So, yes, there will be no performance fee earnt by Navra this quarter.

Regards,
Michael.

Attachments

• Navra fund performance - to upload.xls
    68.5 KB · Views: 87
Maybe this

It's possible Steve is waiting for results like this:

Steve's stated returns pre bull market when asked by me some time ago.

Year.... Nav Return...ASX/200... Outperform% ... Fee... .3946.... Net Return
2001/2002 24.25%, -7.86%, 32.11%, 12.67%, 11.58%
2002/2003 15.77%, -6.26%, 25.28%, 9.98%, 5.79%

Compare that to a common hedge funds 2% + 20% (outperform) structure and consider.

Back