Need advice before signing building contract

Hello

We are about to embark on building an investment property in Point Cook, VIC and using a major builder (National Builders).

We have chosen the house plan and have received a "Tender" which provides an estimate of expenses incurred.
The base price includes a whole swag of inclusions however the tender lists a number of other additional costs which I wish to review including :
- earthworks ($3520) :eek:
- upgrade of slab to 'P' class ($5659) :eek:
- fall protection ($1924):eek:
- material handling fee due to restricted access for bricklayer ($1560) :eek:

The block is level and completely clean so I am querying earthworks of $3520.
Is the upgrade to slab a bit pricey considering a normal slab is around $6000?
What is the deal with fall protection?
I have spoken to a bricklayer who stated that this fee is not necessary as bricks are delivered and placed around block/slab for easy access or trolleyed to suitable area so why the expense? There is a 1.5m space between fence and slab?

Where can I receive advice prior to signing this contract as I believe I may be taken for a ride?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
I think your upgrade of slab and earthworks may be combined. You would need a class P slab if the soil is not stable, class P is at the worst end of the scale. You need to get a geotech report / test done to determine what type of slab you actually need (should be around $500).

Fall protection should be included by the builder, its up to them to make sure the building is built in a safe manner.

Material handling fee for brickwork doesnt sound right, you have a flat block with a 1.5m access minimum, where is the restriction?

Just my 2 cents worth

Chomp

Sorry I should have said 'CAN' make earthworks more expensive. It depends on how deep your slab is going to be in the ground. If the land is sloping then there's less soil to dig up, mean less costs to you for soil removal.

Back