Need help - Backyard

Hello All,

I need some help regarding a backyard in my IP that is currently vacant.

The backyard has recently been cleaned and weeds taken out. However, now it is just bare, a couple of trees near the fence, but mostly just dirt (in an L shape configuration - around 50m square area).

I am thinking of three options:
1. Pave most or part of it (depending on costs)
2. Lay down some turf (may not be the greatest ideas, as when tenanted it might just get ruined).
3. Leave it as is and get it rented ASAP.

I am probably leaning towards option 3, but hesitating due to the possibility of it degrading rent and value (looking to re-evaluate).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jaypee

If you want to attract decent tenants, then a bare dirt backyard will be a huge turn-off.

Either turf or pave. Make it easy care and low maintenance.
Marg

Pave and put in garden beds around the edges or around the trees, with heavy mulch and a very basic 1-block-high retaining wall. Slap in a few attractive but low-maintainence plants too and it'll look lovely.

Our backyard has the middle bit gravelled (its a low end house and you can get away with it here, anywhere else I'd pave) and a cottage garden around the edges that is both low maintainence and actually downright spectacular at this time of year :)

We find that a simple, LOW MAINTENANCE garden adds a lot of appeal to a rental property. Rumpled Elf's suggestions above are good, just ensure that you chose the right plants from the start to avoid any major issues down the road.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your ideas.

Very true, I want to attract the best tenants, so I should get it landscaped properly.

I better start getting quotes.

Cheers,
Jaypee

Last edited:
Back