Need help - natural spring on block of land

Not quite sure if this is the place to post this question but I've given up on trying to get an answer from google, so I thought I would try here.

We are in the process of selling our PPOR and looking for a block of land to build a new home. We have found a great block close to the beach, nice and big for the kids and within our price range. Whats the problem? It has a natural spring on the block.

My first thought was to speak to council who could not give me any information at all. I then went to South East Water who again had no idea about the spring or any natural water points in the area. I have walked across every inch of the block and can not see any water coverage. I understand that natural springs can exist 1/2 metre underground without showing signs of being there on the surface.

So not sure who to get advise from. Obviously my concerns are the costs associated with building on top or near these natural springs.

My next point of call would be to spend some money and get advise from a geotech/soil consultant.

Anyone had a similar problem/situation? Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers,

JC

There was an episode of Grand Designs Australia just recently where a couple in Sydney with a fantastic block near the heads (I think) started their build only to find what they thought was a natural spring. It was losing an olympic pool's worth of water every (???? cannot remember). They ended up trying all sorts of things, and I think the extra cost ultimately was something like $100K (but their budget was a couple of million???). (Sorry, cannot remember the details.)

Ended up it wasn't a spring at all, but a burst water pipe further up (and under) the street making its way through their block:eek:.

I'd get whatever type of engineer is needed to check it out. I cannot recall whether this couple had an engineer look at it (surely they did?) but the fixes they tried (unsuccessfully) included pumps and holding tanks I think.

Obviously they didn't have a spring, but the "fixes" they tried were on the assumption they had one, and it was all very, very expensive.

you need what's called a "geo tech" report, compiled by a practising engineer.

that will give you the low down (pardong the pun) of what's happening under your block up to about 3m or so.

Both your local council and water authority would have the information with regards to all water courses.

You might need to perserve and push them a bit harder.

There was an episode of Grand Designs Australia just recently where a couple in Sydney with a fantastic block near the heads (I think) started their build only to find what they thought was a natural spring. It was losing an olympic pool's worth of water every (???? cannot remember). They ended up trying all sorts of things, and I think the extra cost ultimately was something like $100K (but their budget was a couple of million???). (Sorry, cannot remember the details.)

Ended up it wasn't a spring at all, but a burst water pipe further up (and under) the street making its way through their block:eek:.

I'd get whatever type of engineer is needed to check it out. I cannot recall whether this couple had an engineer look at it (surely they did?) but the fixes they tried (unsuccessfully) included pumps and holding tanks I think.

Obviously they didn't have a spring, but the "fixes" they tried were on the assumption they had one, and it was all very, very expensive.

Yep i saw that episode, i am pretty sure they had an engineer look at it too... they spent so much money on it, and no-one picked up it was a burst pipe.

Such a waste of water :(

I've got a natural spring on one of mine , love it . One day it'll make me rich ha ha.
Is yours seeping through to the top , is it in the way of your house site or future garden,garage whatever , can you put it to some sort of good use in the future . is it a spring or some broken pipe .
I'm not asking you , but you'd need to know it of course , if no's don't worry about it one day you'll put it to good use.

Mine was a classic , I found it digging pole holes for the pergola . One sprung a leak about 18in down. Pure clear fresh water , as much as I wanted , my very own personal never ending supply of totally free spring water. Me vedy happy.
Back to the pergola. Well , I let the spring run for a few days , no one could tell as the block slopes down and into a good water run off on edge of road . I thought hmmm , I could build a lovely little pond , always full , have a never ending household supply of fresh spring water , bottle it , monster swimming pool ..
But how do I stop it for now , well I shoved that pergola pole into the hole regardless , filled it in and it stopped again , as good a plug as any for now.

I didn't tell anyone one stuff that , councils whatever , who knows what nightmare they'd dream up for me .
Meanwhile , one day I might need me a lot of water , I got a real kick out of finding it and owning it. The whole town was on severe restrictions at the time - my little secret .

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the vendor seems to be withholding information. The agent is saying they spent a fair bit of money on a geotech/engineering reports but have since misplaced them!

Hmmm, I'm guessing it wasn't a good report!!

JC

Back