Need some info about renting in Queensland

Hi guys

Haven't been on here for a while. Some of you may know that I moved to the Gold Coast from NZ just over two years ago, we brought our own house within 6 months of arriving.

I have a few Kiwi friends here who are renting and are not having a good time renting, with slack property managers.

I can't even remember the name of the place they go to! I'm having a memory block! You have 10 days notices here to repair don't you? I want to find out their rights. They're paying good money to rent houses in Upper Coomera, Palm Beach and Benowa Waters, all with different property management companies, and they're all having trouble trying to get repairs done. In fact even finding it hard to get a Property Manager to call them back.

Can someone direct me to the correct website please.

Thanks
QueenBee

I feel for your friends, and you know what? Most owners probably do not know that there are maitnenance issues at the property.

Most owners are very fair and want to do the right thing to keep the right tenants...but they more than likely are not aware that there are issues.

Form 16 - Dispute Resolution Request is the most sensible way to proceed with getting maintenance issues remedied through slack agents.

LOL, about bringing the house over.

But yes, about the landlords, that what I said to my friends, the landlord probably doesn't even know there are issues. One of them has been asking for repairs for 2 years, and nothing.

One of them have a landlord who is in Sydney, one is in Singapore and I don't know where the other one is. They are all being managed by completely different Property Managers from different companies etc., so pretty slack if you ask me. If I was a landlord of one of them, I would want to know if the house was falling apart.

These places look fancy from the outside, and at first glance, but geeze, there are some issues. One has really unsafe pool fence. They were having a childrens birthday party, one of the guests leans on the pool fence, the whole fence ends up in the pool including the guest. Still not fixed. Same place, oven breaks down, oven not fixed for over 6 weeks. Water from the shower/bath cubicle running down the bedroom walls into the light switch. Property Manager comes to do a property inspection, tells them there is dust on the fan and to clean it! But they tell him about the faults, and NOTHING!

Shoddy service if you ask me.

One has really unsafe pool fence. They were having a childrens birthday party, one of the guests leans on the pool fence, the whole fence ends up in the pool including the guest. Still not fixed.

This is not only shoddy but totally illegal.

I replied before quoting fines from NSW for having unsafe swimming pool fences and then deleted because your friends are in QLD - then I found that the fines here in QLD are about triple NSW - up to $16,500!
http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/building/pool-fencing-laws.html

All they need to to is contact their local council - the council will have no trouble finding the owner.

Your friends really need to get with it and read up on the tenancy act. There are ways they can get things fixed and then reimbursed.

There is no need for this nonsense to continue.

One has really unsafe pool fence. They were having a childrens birthday party, one of the guests leans on the pool fence, the whole fence ends up in the pool including the guest. Still not fixed. Same place, oven breaks down, oven not fixed for over 6 weeks. Water from the shower/bath cubicle running down the bedroom walls into the light switch. Property Manager comes to do a property inspection, tells them there is dust on the fan and to clean it! But they tell him about the faults, and NOTHING!

The Pool Fence alone is enough just make the phone call to the local Gold Coast Council,starting with the pool fence and work up from there,i always though EX-NZ's living on the G-C know how to complain:):)..willair..

I agree, I will txt them and try and get them to ring the Council. I think because this couple with the swimming pool are quite young, and it's their first rental over here, and rentals being in short supply where they are, they don't want to rock the boat.

Yeh I agree Kiwi's are usually not backwards in coming forward about complaining. I don't know why they put up with it. Maybe they have trust issues, the Gold Coast is full of so many dodgey people! LOL.

First step is to fill out a Form 11 for EACH individual issue & give them to the PM. Keep a copy of everything.

The form 11 requirs the issues to be rectified within 7 days. If no action is taken within 7 days, then the next step is a Form 16 & submitted to the RTA.

Note that you need to go through the Form 11 scenario first before going to the Form 16.
If the RTA can not get a suitable outcome, you then can take it to the tribunal.

All the info & forms are on the RTA web site noted in other posts.

I agree, I will txt them and try and get them to ring the Council. I think because this couple with the swimming pool are quite young, and it's their first rental over here, and rentals being in short supply where they are, they don't want to rock the boat.

Yeh I agree Kiwi's are usually not backwards in coming forward about complaining. I don't know why they put up with it. Maybe they have trust issues, the Gold Coast is full of so many dodgey people! LOL.
There is a old saying about the "GC"if the system is tested and works on the Coast then it will work anywhere in the World,from herbal slim tea to high flying soap box "Fast Bucks" sellers who can make you a million overnight on waterfront tidal land..willair..

Back