Need to remove this pipe? help

Oldish suburb, Kris? I've found pipes just like that. The ones I found were old water supply pipes. Some time years previously copper piping was installed going to and from the water metre. With the gal pipes I found I was at least able to find one end so I could be sure they weren't still connected to something.
Scott
Lovely trench, by the way.

Your area mate, Marrickville.

Well I cant find the other end.ill dig a bit more but it appears to go under the concrete in the rear yard.. I had a friend look and he rkns its not in use either..

Any decent plumbers in our area that could give me 5mins advice?

We have a pipe that looks exactly like that in our shack on the river; ours is a water pipe leading from the meter to the house. Still active too!

Hi Kris

Just cut it and if water goes everywhere turn off at the main tap and call a plumber, you'll get your answer. If water doesn't go everywhere, get rid of the pipe. No problem.

So when I hear about a gas explosion in, Sydney your id will be outed? You are probably right though, it most likely is water. Although our water pipe looks that rusty and it is only maybe 30 years old? Good luck with it!

just cut is , if it is H2O the pipe is un sanitry any way, replace it with 3/4 copper lagged. it will not be gas? as half of sydney would be dead through the years from breating in the fumes, the old pipe, may not be connected at all, and if it is and water goes evry where, turn off the main at the front easy! peasy!

OK, while we are on about pipes. As I said before we have a rusty old pipe like that in our shack. Is it possible for a plumber to cut out some of the real leaky parts, and 're-weld' (?) or does the whole pipe have to go. I know, Hijack!

You crack me up evand :)

Ok! I traced a small pipe OUT of the watermain.. it goes onto our side wall (visiable on my Flickr photos) and then into a larger pipe along the house and into the various taps...

It's a water pipe. And probably redundant. The problem with the Inner West is that sometimes there are pipes that run across your property and may be going to neighbouring properties. Putting aside all the easement issues, cutting it may cause a problem. Drill a tiny hole in it. Then at least if there is a problem it's going to be a tiny one and manageable till you work out a proper fix.

Good call, perhaps I should do nothing until I get your plumbers details :D

If theres a tiny hole, how can I seal it in the off chance its in service?

hi krisk,

is that trench for a subsoil drain? if so you shouldn't need to remove the pipe?

have you tried dbyd? (http://www.dialbeforeyoudig.com.au/) it's a free service - your pipe might be shown on a service plan (if so then it belongs to someone so dont touch it without their consent)

looking at it i'd bet on it being water but i'd check DBYD before touching it (for sake of covering your behind incase it does belong to a utility and they want it fixed:D) if it is not on their plans then you're safe

good luck :)

ren

Yep subsoil drainage. The reason i want it gone is down the front of the house its right in the middle of my trench which is blocking installation of a 450mm pit drain. So I'd like to remove it :)

Thanks for the link! I'll give them a buzz

Back