Negative gearing proposals

Just heard the tail end of a discussion on the ABC about new proposals to the NG regulations. Anyone have any info on what's being proposed?

Don't believe anything a politician says. Abbott quoted as saying on 16/4/15 that NG wont be fiddled with. I would agree it would be political death approaching an election with that. The ALP would head into the election saying they will restore NG and the libs are GONE......

Fine print to his "promise" is that after an election he holds a mandate to govern (plebiscite was Howards term) and will blame the ALP debt for the need to balance the budget. He will then can NG / CGT benefits etc on some rentals. Bookies wouldn't take bets on this as its so certain (except winning the election !)

He will then can NG / CGT benefits etc on some rentals. Bookies wouldn't take bets on this as its so certain (except winning the election !)

That seems the way it may go,and the odds on the next election would be still be in the range that no one would bet on just yet...

Don't think changing the rules on NG is going to get them back into power though, so their suggestions are meaningless.

What if the motive is not to win votes but to be transparent and upfront with policy and plans. Then when they get in the number of nasty surprises is reduced. Certainly not something I'd actively vote for but at least we know where they stand. Prob wouldn't stop me voting for a party with a realistic plan.

Back