Negative Gearing

Hi,

I'm new at this Investment game, I do have a new build IP but still learning things about investments. I was wondering ii I can get some information on how does it going to affect us if the Goverment decide to take away the negative gearing ? Does that mean I won't be able to claim things and my IP will be actually a loss for me?

Still on L Plates do please be patience with my question but I will get there someday

Cheers....

Hi,

I'm new at this Investment game, I do have a new build IP but still learning things about investments. I was wondering ii I can get some information on how does it going to affect us if the Goverment decide to take away the negative gearing ? Does that mean I won't be able to claim things and my IP will be actually a loss for me?

Still on L Plates do please be patience with my question but I will get there someday

Cheers....

Negative gearing is a sacred cow and I can't imagine anyone wanting to touch it while the name Paul Keating remains in people's memories. How many times has it been mentioned in the recent slash and burn to make up the shortfall talks recently? None that I am aware of.

Even when it was temporarily removed by PK, it was not retrospective.

Worry not.

Cheers,
Beef.

Hi,

Cheers....

It means that if your IP makes a loss you can't deduct it against your other income.

was I dreaming in seeing a SS thread which had a hyptohetical scenario of what would happen reaslitically if NG was abolished?

Think you are dreaming mate I just asked a question, like I said Im new in this IP game. But thanks for the other comments...

Hi,

Cheers....

Assuming that the IP was bought in your personal name then taking the negative gearing away with retrospectivity it means that any loss will not be deducted from your other earnings. Retrospectivity has many shades of coverage too. As usual companies are automatically not targeted when negative gearing is mentioned. It means business as usual for housing purchased in companies, charitable organisations or by States.

If there is no retrospectivity then it will apply only from the date to be specified in the legislation.

Anyway this is speculation everything depends on the actual option that the government will choose to run with, or not. For example, there is also widely cited support for removing negative gearing from established housing, not newly built.

Assuming that the IP was bought in your personal name then taking the negative gearing away with retrospectivity it means that any loss will not be deducted from your other earnings. Retrospectivity has many shades of coverage too. As usual companies are automatically not targeted when negative gearing is mentioned. It means business as usual for housing purchased in companies, charitable organisations or by States.

If there is no retrospectivity then it will apply only from the date to be specified in the legislation.

Anyway this is speculation everything depends on the actual option that the government will choose to run with, or not. For example, there is also widely cited support for removing negative gearing from established housing, not newly built.

Thank You for the post. Do understand it a bit better.

Cheers

Considering the rental market is tight in general would they really be silly enough to remove one of the important property investment tools, oh wait a minute, this govt probably would...

I caught the end something on TV saying that removing negative gearing would lower prices and help first home buyers, what a load of BS. First home buyers cant get in the market because they either have standards higher than their wage can afford or waste their wages on junk, lowering the prices would have minimal effect on either of those anyway.

I agree I doubt negative gearing will go.

Off the subject, however , I recall some years ago when the talk was that "No doc and Lo doc" loans would be dead within 6 months, I did not believe this would happen, was I wrong.:eek:

If -ve gearing did go we all would be chasing a different strategy cash flow and I guess there may be more people setting up SMSF and using this as a vehicle to purchase property.

Some of you guys are forgetting how frequently the govt defies logic :p

Governments do not make decisions overnight unless you are talking about this current mob of useless hacks. Even they wouldn't touch negative gearing though as the consequences are so unclear.

In addition to non retrospective application, it may be worth noting that Keating's move in 1995 didn't entirely remove negative gearing, it changed the income that a loss can be claimed against.

During this period you could still negative gear but only against the income produced by the property, not all income from other sources as it is currently. Any excess losses could be preserved for later years so it wasn't as bad as it initially appeared.

Despite my flippant opening comment, it may be worth putting some planning into possible changes, after all can the tax system continue to subsidise ever increasing losses (http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/negative-gearing-losses-a-key-drain-on-revenues-20130430-2ir6h.html"]$13 billion in 2010-11) - Who knows?

It seems that most of the negative geared properties (90%) are pre existing dwellings and given that one of the main arguments for NG is it encourages more housing stock to become available, it may be that some tinkering could be on the cards.

Some commentators like David Koch think it could be feasible that if hard pressed, a future govt may change the rules to apply to new builds only and for a limited period of 5 years.

"Negative gearing on an unproductive asset? Does it just go on for time immemorial or is it time to actually put some limits on it - to say, OK for the first five years, but if it's not producing an income after that why are you there?

It's done purely for the attraction of letting the taxman pay half. I'm not saying get rid of it all together, but there's got to be a limit - it just can't go on forever."

There's little positive about negative gearing

Interesting to note after Koch's above comment there was no further discussion on the topic. I think this demonstrates what a touchy subject it is. After all many investors whole approach and financial survival is based around it's continuation in the currently unique and very generous form.

With 10% of taxpayers/voters being NG'd landlords, in the words of Sir Humphrey it would be "An extremely courageous decision," and if ever broached, should provide hours of entertaining high RPM debate zzzzzzzzzzz...

Cheers,
Beef.

Last edited:
No worries Blikkies,

I guess the main thing to understand is Neg gearing will lever up your gains in a rising market giving you a magnified return. This is because you are accessing a return on money you don't actually have :cool:, but..... it does exactly the same to your losses when the market falls.:eek:

We all have our individual approaches to investing, but I think most people will agree, don't ever rely on it to keep your head above water.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Beef.

Back