Neighbour's washing machine leak leads to 10-12 buckets of water in strata property

Hi guys,

Happy New Year!

Posting this on behalf of a friend. She lives in a high rise in a 2BR apartment with her family which includes a few months old baby. Yesterday the neighbour's washing machine was disconnected and the whole apartment of hers was in water - around 10-12 buckets of it and each bucket containing 10 litres of water as an approximate measurement.

The carpet was all wet - but she managed to try dry it a bit with a steam cleaner (not sure if that would fully do the job). The BIR's had water in them and the baby's furniture had to be moved as it was starting to get soaked in water. Also the tiles area in the kitchen and the doorway have been soaked as well.

They tried to talk to the neighbour and asked him to pay $1000 excess fee. But now the neighbour is refusing to talk at all and not coming out of his apartment when approached.

My understanding is the carpet underlay would be damaged...but how would one convince the insurance company? What about the tiles? I'd think excess water could damage the tiles as well.

Should they be also getting an independent building inspector to go through the property??

What about strata issues? Could this much water damage the building / apartment below? Should we be informing the strata company?

Would appreciate your thoughts a lot!

Regards,
MsAli

You can hire big carpet drying fans, I would rent some of these and then get the neighbour to pay this. If they wont, make a claim through small claims tribunal.

Unless there was other contents damage or the carpets are beyond repair, probably not worth an insurance claim since they will want her to try drying the carpet first. Tiles wont be affected by the water.

Thanks Dave....Didn't know you could take the civil claims with neighbours to the tribunal :)

Last edited:
Just a thought, ..... wouldn't the damage repair come under the strata/body corp insurance? Let them chase the neighbour.

Mystery

Thanks guys. The neighbour has finally showed up and taken ownership. The insurance company for home and contents has given details for a carpet company to chase up for the replacement. While they said they don't cover the tiles...

Just not sure if they should inform the strata company for getting some sort of building inspections done for any greater damage. If I was in those shoes I'd inform strata..

Looks like the insurance company charge $1000 excess fee to send $550 cleaners over to dry the carpets. The tiles are damaged as reviewed by a professional tiler.

And the built in robes / linen woodworks are starting to swell / decaying due to the flooding of more than 1/3 of the apartment. The flooding happened between 4pm and 10pm on New Years Day. What a way to start the new year. The friend and her family managed to stop it from going to the master bedroom by using a steam cleaner and towels....The carpet smells as the water was soapy from the washing machine pipe left on the floor.

Just helped the friend write a memorandum of understanding to be signed by her and the tenant.

I also contacted the building inspector (Ausinspect who are also licences builder) I used last year but couldn't get through...any alternative recommendations? Would be good to get it all checked to know the extent of the damage and/or to convince the insurance and the party responsible.

I also contacted the building inspector (Ausinspect who are also licences builder) I used last year but couldn't get through...any alternative recommendations? Would be good to get it all checked to know the extent of the damage and/or to convince the insurance and the party responsible.

MsAli try Brendan Sykes

BTS BUILDING & CONSULTING Pty Ltd
ABN 16 497 880 885 ACN 121 652 882
Building Contractors Licence: 36082C
Building Consultancy Licence: BC2017
MBA Accredited Building Consultant

Phone: 0447 234 400
PO Box 1338 Baulkham Hills
NSW 2153
Email: [email protected]

Back