New Build Update

Things are progressing with the new build and we've progressed past lock up stage to fit out, tiling, electrical etc

On the last visit I picked up a couple of issues that stood out to me with my limited experience

Just missing end capping (2-3 of these about), or something to go in here :confused:

image006.png

With the edges cut on the gutters to fit, the freshly cut metal is now exposed to the elements and has started rusting, are these going to be painted/rust proofed/ sealed?

image016.png

This is the exterior of the Master Bathroom window

image017.png

Part 2

Now look up above the window, this looks very industrial (see below)

image018.png

The copper pipe for the tap located as per below in the rear garage looks very industrial also, it may need to be hidden behind some type of PVC covering for aesthetic purposes?

In the middle of the pillar looks awful, IMHO it could even have been run up alongside the pillar (or even at the rear of the garage and out of sight).

image020.png

Someone has recently planed (wood shavings on ground and freshly exposed wood in the door frame) the external part of the door frame at the rear door, whilst doing so it appears that they have cracked the frosted glass panels

image026.png

It's the first time we've built so we're over there checking regularly to see how the process all unfolds :D

Terrible.

Fascia was ordered short, i don't think corner capping will even cover that, and even if it does it should of been installed before the gutter, as you wont be able to pop rivet upper end of it.

Gutter hasn't been cut right on the corner, and the way they joined it looks shocking, it will probably leak water.Gutter is also missing external bracket that sits under the gutter and joins two pieces together, this has been installed by some labours, im sure gutters don't have required fall and will retain water in them.

Windows are too high, obviously this builder doesn't have clue or doesn't care about your job. Window heights are carefully measured during construction so they fit right under the eave lining, in your case eave lining will come onto the glass :eek:

Copper pipe, looks terrible there, and its even out of level.
Cracked glass door, how the hell did they do that...

I strongly suggest you get Building Inspection Report done by Building Consultant, it will cost you $400-$500 and it will list all the defects on your house.

I'm a builder too, and it shocks me when i see such a poor workmanship, because of people like him we all get bad name, and no wonder people are scared of building.

I also blame this Gov. for allowing them to easily get builder's licence, they made it so easy now anyone get it in under 2 months.

Better get that report ASAP and get onto them, you will be surprised how many other mistakes they did, wrong builder selection.

Sorry about your quality issues - would you share the builder on PM? Have you got any more details? Have I missed another build thread?

Thanks for the feedback Veseli

I wont mention the builder, but they are a large group and we went with them for perceived quality and an ability to get any issues resolved quickly

You're not having much luck are you? Its experiences like this that turn people off building forever.

I woudn't be happy with any of those issues you have photographed.

I'd be getting back the inspector you used for the pad and sitting outside the construction managers office until resolved.

Hey Red, Good you are photographing and doing the regular quality checks. These are issues that obviously require rectifying so you need to keep the company's site supervisor informed that you have noted the defects. If they have any respectability they will rectify all defect/poor workmanship issues prior to handover.

Be firm but don't expect perfection. There is always some give and take with building. You should also have a maintenance period after handover when you can call them back for any issues.

All the best, RS :)

Back