New digs in secret suburb!

Oh...we've finally decided to get a house and sell the apartment. Yay!! My wife is looking forward to a bit of dirt to garden. We'll be switching suburbs as well since Campsie houses are a bit rich for our budget and we're looking for better schools for our little girl who is going to school next year. OMIGOD! We've picked another suburb which will remain nameless for reasons which will become obvious. It has:

a) nicer, friendlier people
b) it is one of those rare pockets of Sydney that still has a village feel
c) everyone seems to know everyone else
d) pretty good schools
e) nice wide streets with tall trees
f) kids riding bicycles on footpaths
g) close to water and a national park
h) houses on 600sqm for less than $600K :eek:

Anyway, we've decided to sell-rent-buy is less stressful than sell-buy at the same time mostly because

a) We need to secure a place to live in the school catchment area by November
b) selling and buying before November is risky in this market
c) if we want to rent as a fallback, we need to get a place before the rental market dries up in December/January ( I think)
d) I haven't cleaned the apartment up for selling yet. LOL :eek::eek::eek:
e) I'm also going back to work in November after a year's parental leave and my wife is only cutting back to three days a week.
f) Moving, selling, getting the younger one settled into family day care while resettling into a old job is more stress than I want all at once.

Anyway, it should be good fun and it will be great buying for ourselves next year with the mean streak acquired from a bit of property investing. Heh heh.

Now don't you all go off tracking down this suburb and drive up property prices while we rent for a year, y'hear!

Yay!

Or Jannali, Sutherland, Como, Karrela, Kirrawee, Gymea, Miranda, Caringbah - houses have come right off recently in this area. Back to late 2002 price levels.

Close to Georges River, Botany Bay, Port Hacking.

Close to Royal National Park, Georges River National Park.

Alternatively my other train of thought was Hornsby - close to Hawkesbury and Kurangi

XBenX said:
Alternatively my other train of thought was Hornsby - close to Hawkesbury and Kurangi

Wouldn't have thought hornsby could described as having a village feel and every body knowing every one else :(

Brooklyn ? everyone knows every one there, though it's a long way from Campsie . Most of them are related ....

Sounds like a little pocket suburb some where . I'm not going to say where I think where else it could be as I'm going to be investing in the one I'm watching at some time . Given the Campsie current address , The shire sounds logical.

See Change

XBenX said:
Or Jannali, Sutherland, Como, Karrela, Kirrawee, Gymea, Miranda, Caringbah

Yep, I was just too lazy to list them all! Caringbah/Miranda are good buying at the moment. Especially Caringbah..

Sutherland Shire has a somewhat Village feel, even though the population is about 220,000 you still seem to run into people you know alot... (I am ex-shire)

no cigar

FrankGrimes said:
I vote Sutherland Shire.... Am I right? 600sqm for under 600k, I would say -

Illawong
Menai
Engadine
Bangor

?
Well...I will admit to having aspirations to the Shire. The Maccas at Sylvania is the nicest, friendliest Maccas I've ever been to. :):) Now where exactly does the Shire end? I don't know if Sylvanians want to include Menai in the Shire.

I'll have to ask my fellow Campsonians(?) whether they all want to go there. The Shire, not Maccas.

But it's not the Shire. I always did like the North part of Sydney as well, but that may or may not be the place. Something close to the apple belt might have that kind of village appeal...or not.

What are the schools like in the Shire? Just out of curiousity. I always liked schools that have a good second language selection.

Jireh

Well...I will admit to having aspirations to the Shire. The Maccas at Sylvania is the nicest, friendliest Maccas I've ever been to. :):) Now where exactly does the Shire end? I don't know if Sylvanians want to include Menai in the Shire.

I'll have to ask my fellow Campsonians(?) whether they all want to go there. The Shire, not Maccas.

But it's not the Shire. I always did like the North part of Sydney as well, but that may or may not be the place. Something close to the apple belt might have that kind of village appeal...or not.

What are the schools like in the Shire? Just out of curiousity. I always liked schools that have a good second language selection.

Jireh

That maccas is ok, never seemed any different to any other one to me though? Haha.

Menai, Alfords Point and Illawong are on the West of The Shire.

Sylvania and Taren Point to the North. Waterfall is last suburb on the way to Wollongong. And Cronulla to the East.

I think thats about it. I went to Tharawal Primary School at Menai and Lucas Heights high school and thought both were ok. Well I turned out ok :) I think.. Na most of the schools are fine, but I guess I'd do research before hand.

My guess would be somewhere in the Hills or Hornsby shire.... :)

This secrecy always cracks me up, though! I've got to say- just because someone "reveals" where it is they're considering buying doesn't mean the rest of us are going to rush out, flood the market and suddenly push prices up. Not in this market at least, anyway :D

Good luck in your quest, Jireh, and I hope all goes well with the sale and new purchase. May the new "village atmosphere" turn out to be a lovely new beginning. :)

Hi Quintets,

It's not one of those outposts on the Hawkesbury River (up from Brooklyn)? A true sense of everyone knowing everyone else...but no schools nearby. Close to water (heck, they are on the water) and close to national park (they are in the park)

Then again maybe the other side of Sydney...Helensburgh or Heathcote?

Ajax

Last edited:
getting warmer

It's not one of those outposts on the Hawkesbury River (up from Brooklyn)? A true sense of everyone knowing everyone else...but no schools nearby. Close to water (heck, they are on the water) and close to national park (they are in the park)

Then again maybe the other side of Sydney...Helensburgh or Heathcote?

Ajax

No I checked to make sure no-one had two heads. People seem to know each other, but not related to each other. Ajax the south side is the side to stay. But you have to start looking for pockets where the park is there, but in a national-park-lite mode. Still lots of areas to choose from.

Good luck in your quest, Jireh, and I hope all goes well with the sale and new purchase. May the new "village atmosphere" turn out to be a lovely new beginning. :)

Jacque, thanks. Picking the sell agent is going to be fun. I know it's not going to be the fella that does our strata management. He knows too much about the property. :eek::eek: Even if he technically keeps his mouth shut, I need someone fresh and vibrant and not bogged down with the day-to-day hassles of this particular strata.

getting warmer

Bundeena...oh that would be nice!! Anyone know how to build a kit school? or convince state rail to add a train line? :D:D

FrankGrimes was getting close when he was thinking "Go West young man!!" ;);)

Maybe this is enough of a clue.

Jireh

Back