New forum features

Sim

Administrator
Now that we're running vB v3.6, I thought I would mention some of the new features:

Multi-Quote
The multi-quote feature allows users to tag multiple posts that they wish to respond to by clicking a small button on each post. Once the user clicks the reply button, each tagged post is quoted.

To increase usability, by default, only posts within the current thread are automatically quoted. If you wish to quote posts in other threads with multi-quote, you simply need to click a link on the reply page, and the text of those posts will be added without a reload.
multiquote-k.png

Private Message Preview in Notification Emails
If you have elected to receive emails when receiving a new private message, the email will now contain more than just the name of the user who sent you the message. The title and body of the message will be included. Any BB codes in the message will automatically be converted to an equivalent plaintext version using the new plaintext bbcode parser.

Example output might look like this:

Dear Mike,

You have received a new private message at Test Forums from admin, entitled "Demo Private Message".

This is the message that was sent:
This is a demo private message with *bold text*.

---Quote (Originally by Mike)---
Quoted text
---End Quote---

1. And an
2. ordered
3. list

To read the original version, respond to this message, or delete the message, you must log in here:
http://www.example.com/forum/private.php

All the best,
My Demo Forums

New Buddy/Ignore List Editor

The new buddy and ignore list editor allows users to be quickly added and removed from your lists, with AJAX-based assistance for name suggestion along the way. If an error occurs such as a user not being found, you can simply correct the error and continue without reloading the page.

buddy_ignore_error.png

Pop Up List of Attachments in a Thread

The paperclip icon that denotes whether a thread contains attachments is now clickable. It will pop up a window that shows a list of all the attachments in the specified thread, including file size and number of views.

attachment-list-popup.png

Private Messages: Quota Warning

Once you have reached 90% of your private message quota, you will receive a warning telling you that you have almost reached your quota.

pmquota-email.png

... plus many more (mostly backend) changes.

Sim, you are a legend for putting in so much time to improve sites like this (and the amazingly great InvestEd as well)- thankyou for all your effort!! :)

Has the new version got an improved search function?

When I find the search function lacking on a site.. I resort to Google and use search terms that restrict results to the site I'm interested in..

eg "bedford truck site:somersoft.com.au":..

I'm not sure how often Google updates. It didn't find your post

In fact, I have to use site:www.somersoft.com to get any hits.

Sorry, I was a bit sloppy in my posting.. my apologies for the impreciseness of my instructions.. a better example.. finding posts that here that have the search term of "flock of bats"..

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=flock+of+bats+site:www.somersoft.com

Google updates on sites like this (that it detects have frequent and regular updates) are actually quite quick.. often within a day or two..

OK, thanks for that Duncan.

I most often use the site search for the ATO website. Their internal searches are woeful.

Hi Sim,

the only thing I've noticed is that previously when I was browsing a sub-forum, and "marked all thread's read", it would bounce back to the sub-forum menu...now it doesn't do that any more.

doh! I did it again!!

I use "Today's Posts" under "Quick Links: almost every time.... however, the button has moved up one spot (as "New Posts" have disappeared) - so now I keep hitting "Mark All Posts as Read" :( I need to retrain my mouse....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I use "Today's Posts" under "Quick Links: almost every time.... however, the button has moved up one spot (as "New Posts" have disappeared) - so now I keep hitting "Mark All Posts as Read"

I've put New Posts back at the top of the Quick Links menu - is that how it used to be ?

I've never hit 'mark forums read' before and have unintentionally done it twice in the past few days.

Although you probably already knew this - as a reminder to any newer members, if you accidently mark forums read, you can at least use the "Today's Posts" search to show you all posts from the last 24 hours - won't show you everything if you've been away longer than a day, but at least it's a start.

Back