New investment construction

Hi All,

Will like to know if someone here has done dual occ thing on one site with the view of renting them seperately.

I have vacant piece of block(land size 600sqm approx) in Lynbrook area of Melbourne and was thinking of constructing one of the below houses on it:

http://www.vic.henley.com.au/#/House/clendonvale/65/FloorPlans/65/

OR

http://www.vic.henley.com.au/#/House/clendonvale/77/FloorPlans/159/

The main idea behind building one of these designs is that though its one house but it can be easily divided into two separate self contained units in order to rent them individually.

However the issue i have is mainly around the vicinity, suburb characteristics in that its mainly owner occupier, single dwelling, first home buyer area.

Keeping this in mind do you think i will have issues with neighbours complaining, council, utilities, lack of tenants?

As anyone done this before?

Thanks- hkr.

Why not just go for a duplex design?

You say:
"The main idea behind building one of these designs is that though its one house but it can be easily divided into two separate self contained units in order to rent them individually."

Are you sure about this?
Retrofitting fire and soundproofing in common walls is not an easy or cheap process.
And what about adding separate water meters, electricity meters and phone lines later?

Can you build a duplex on your site?

Why not just go for a duplex design?

You say:
"The main idea behind building one of these designs is that though its one house but it can be easily divided into two separate self contained units in order to rent them individually."

Are you sure about this?
Retrofitting fire and soundproofing in common walls is not an easy or cheap process.
And what about adding separate water meters, electricity meters and phone lines later?

Can you build a duplex on your site?

Thanks for your responses.

No i cannot build a duplex as there is single dwelling covenant on the block :(

Here is what i see the potential things to do are:

1- Separate Electricity meters - Doable, i enquired with the electricity company.
2- Separate Water meters - Not sure, have to enquire.
3- Separate Garbage bins - Have to enquire from the council.

Do i need to put firewalls etc if i dont intend to sell them individually. As i understand i can always sublet the properties.

Thanks-hkr.

Thanks for your responses.

No i cannot build a duplex as there is single dwelling covenant on the block :(

Maybe there is a Dual Occupancy covenant on the block also, which is the same thing as far as I know.

Best to check with the council I would think.

How about Granny Flats?

Thanks for all the answers.

The problem with Granny flats is that:
1- They have to removable structures and have to occupied by a dependent only.
2- Will mostly be of weatherboard construction in contrast to BV which is rest of the house. Thus for the same money i get an inferior product.

you can get an extra bin from council, you just have to pay for it. As sep water, you could propose dividing the bill by how many people live in each dwelling.

Back