New Property Info Web Site www.townplanning.com.au

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you all know that we have just put up a free to use info web site for people interested in devlopment, reno's etc which i am sure will be of interest to people on this forum. It is basically collects free info and allows you to access it through one search.

Searches can be done for any property in Australia. Australia wide it can provide an arial photo, map, street view and a measurement tool to work out block size and dimensions. I Victoria it also offers a planning report which includes zoning and overlays and a property report which has info on title details and utility providers.

We are planning to provide zoning info elasewhere in Australia in the not too distant future as well as some other useful info such as titles. I'd be very intered in people views of the site and what info we could possibly add to the searches that would be useful.

Regards
Alistair

That is a good domain name you have there.

I tried a few properties in Sydney and they don't have the same details that the Melbourne ones have perhaps with just the aerial map and streetview being available. Both of which are easier to navigate using Google Maps natively than through this website. If that is all there was for Sydney (in the future) then it is not a site I would use.

I couldn't work out how to close/cancel the overview window if I clicked on the wrong parcel of land etc (without having to go back to the map page and starting again).

I don't like how the google maps frame doesn't allow you to scroll your mouse wheel to zoom in and out like you can natively in google maps.

I do like how the Melbourne properties link to the planning report, that is a good feature.

The Terms & Conditions link in the footer links back to the About page which has no terms or conditions listed...

Thanks for the feedback so far. We expect we will be able to add planning info from other states in the near future, apparently SA is reasonably easy as is WA, but we will have to charge for WA as the WA Gov doesn't provide the info for free. Some areas of NSW should be OK but we can't deal with a central body to get access to the info, so it is a council by council proposition.

I agree with the comments re google maps, we are looking at other providers and also at some commercial providers who give more detail, this may allow us to add a measuring tool, which could be used to calculate set backs of surrounding dwellings. There is lots in the pipeline, but at the moment it cuts down searching for a planning report from 10 clicks to 2, we thought this was sufficient to put it up.

Terms and conditions are being drawn up by solicitors at the moment.

Please keep the comments coming, they are much appreciated.

Regards
Alistair

Great concept. Would you consider introducing a discussion forum to the site based around planning matters? As an up and coming planner I am hoping for such a resource to come along.

Great concept. Would you consider introducing a discussion forum to the site based around planning matters? As an up and coming planner I am hoping for such a resource to come along.

I hadn't thought of it to be honest, maybe in the future. At the moment we want to concentrate on making planning info available in some other states.

checkout allhomes.com.au for Canberra info, you might be able to use this site info somehow.

The whole concept of your site sounds great. As more people start developing, it will be incredibly helpful.

That is a good domain name you have there.

I tried a few properties in Sydney and they don't have the same details that the Melbourne ones have perhaps with just the aerial map and streetview being available. Both of which are easier to navigate using Google Maps natively than through this website. If that is all there was for Sydney (in the future) then it is not a site I would use.

I couldn't work out how to close/cancel the overview window if I clicked on the wrong parcel of land etc (without having to go back to the map page and starting again).

I don't like how the google maps frame doesn't allow you to scroll your mouse wheel to zoom in and out like you can natively in google maps.

I do like how the Melbourne properties link to the planning report, that is a good feature.

The Terms & Conditions link in the footer links back to the About page which has no terms or conditions listed...

We've fixed the overview window, it hs an x in the right top corner now so you can get rid of it easily. You can also open a new overview window with the appropriate panning report and property info report (still Vic only though) by clicking on the map.

Probably the only useful really tool outside of Vic, at the moment, is the measuring tool. We will add more states, but most are not as easy as Vic and its also not a really cheap exercise so I don't really want to do it all in one hit.

Thanks again everyone who has commented, we are trying to create something really useful and I think there is defiantely a need for it and i will most defiantely be taking any and all comments on board as this site is developed, so please keep thje comments coming.

Regards
Alistair

It would be great for this to have info available for QLD properties; I will keep an eye on the site. In the meantime, I have still found it useful for MEL. Thanks. :)

Back