New tenants want work done on garden.

Hi All,

Just after poeples opinion.

Have new tenants in my unit. The garden is a best average. Not overgrown or messy, just average. It turns out that the new tennants are green thumbs and would like a "nice" garden to potter around in. They sent a letter to us via our REA.

It asked if we would get a gardener in to remove some old plants, new topsoil, ne w mulch and some new plants so they can have a nice garden to start with. And they would be more than happy to look after it.

It sounds like they are nice people and just want a nice garden. Should we do it??? It might cost up to $300 :confused: :eek:

Thanks for any advice,

GG

Hi Gordon

In a word - 'Yes'.

However, keep in mind that future tenants may not be such green thumbs, so by all means refresh your garden but it is still your garden so make sure it is planted to your design.

Choose a simple layout, make sure there will be a sitting area, and choose drought tolerant, low maintenance plants not known for their hay-fevering properties.

Plants that can be pruned with shears or brush cutters, rows of the same variety eg camelias along the fence, but not climbing plants which will overgrow the fence or get up into the gutters.

If they want areas for planting flowering seedlings, make it a defined area so that it can be easily maintained and just mulched and planted for the next people.

My current tenant at Myrtle Cottage took the place because of the 20 standard roses and the interesting courtyard garden. Gardening is her hobby and it was worth a premium to her to have an interesting garden to work and relax in. If you give your new tenants some of what they want - which sounds fairly modest - you may be rewarded with years of uninterrupted tenancy.

If they move on, at least the (tax deductible) work has been done and the place upgraded a bit.

Cheers

Kristine

PS: As this work would most likely be 'maintenance' you would be able to write it off in the current tax year

Last edited:
Do it! These people are going to make your IP their home . They sound like good long term tenants. Watch the cost because it is easy to underestimate on things like gardening. If it is somthing that can be done quickly then it may not be too expensive but this can involve a lot of hand labour which is costly and slow.

Gordon Gekko said:
Thanks for any advice,

In my opinion.. Tenants need to EARN the right to have money spent on them.. You are still yet to find out if these Tenants are going to pay your rent on time and reliably, if the property is going to be kept clean or if they are going to be source of a constant stream of petty maintenance calls.

Don't say no, but dont rush to be the cool Landlord that every Tenant loves.. let them serve a probation first.

One idea is to let them do all the work themselves with the proviso that you will reimburse it whe satisfied with the result and also with them as tenants after, say, 6-12 months.

We had a landlord do that to us and it worked fine :)

duncan_m said:
In my opinion.. Tenants need to EARN the right to have money spent on them.. You are still yet to find out if these Tenants are going to pay your rent on time and reliably, if the property is going to be kept clean or if they are going to be source of a constant stream of petty maintenance calls.

Don't say no, but dont rush to be the cool Landlord that every Tenant loves.. let them serve a probation first.

Heaven forbid that these Tenants might be seeing if you are a decent Landlord. They don't have to "love" you but they just may "love" your property and look after it real well if it is "their home" not just another unit.

Punchy said:
Heaven forbid that these Tenants might be seeing if you are a decent Landlord. They don't have to "love" you but they just may "love" your property and look after it real well if it is "their home" not just another unit.

Punchy,

Not sure what your experience is, but I've gone thru roughly 50 different sets of Tenants.. I have seen new Tenants come and go so many times. Tenants need to earn their stripes before I'll go prettying up gardens etc. When the rent gets paid on time, when I dont get calls about blown lightglobes etc then I'm very willing to spend money, and I do. Cashflow takes a hit when you let a property.. compounding that hit by catering to whims of incoming Tenants doesnt make any sense.

I've recently upgraded TV antennas, installed roller doors, put in new robes, installed a dishwasher, tinted windows, installed ceiling fans, bought paint for Tenants to paint their kids room in a different color, installed Airconditioning.. but ALL for LONG TERM tenants who have been regular payers and who have looked after their houses.. So your snide remarks aside, I'm most definitely seen as more than the average Landlord.

duncan_m said:
Punchy,

Not sure what your experience is, but I've gone thru roughly 50 different sets of Tenants.. I have seen new Tenants come and go so many times. Tenants need to earn their stripes before I'll go prettying up gardens etc. When the rent gets paid on time, when I dont get calls about blown lightglobes etc then I'm very willing to spend money, and I do. Cashflow takes a hit when you let a property.. compounding that hit by catering to whims of incoming Tenants doesnt make any sense.

I've recently upgraded TV antennas, installed roller doors, put in new robes, installed a dishwasher, tinted windows, installed ceiling fans, bought paint for Tenants to paint their kids room in a different color, installed Airconditioning.. but ALL for LONG TERM tenants who have been regular payers and who have looked after their houses.. So your snide remarks aside, I'm most definitely seen as more than the average Landlord.

I take exception to your last statement (the first half of the sentence. I'll take your word for the last half).

I'm big enough to see your opinion as being very valid and well thought out. I've had great tenants whom have paid on time every time, looked after my property and have never caused problems with neighbours.

Punchy said:
I take exception to your last statement (the first half of the sentence. I'll take your word for the last half).

I'm big enough to see your opinion as being very valid

I'm big enough to apologise for labelling your remarks as snide. Sorry.

I have said this before in other posts that I am new to this!
I would read between the lines of the letter you revieved from the REA, If your tenents have made this request, you are looking at a long term tenant.
I would have invested so many thousands of $ in buying this investment property, "whats another $300" in securing a long term tenant that is going to have some pride in where they are living, would make my life a hell of a lot easier!

Many Kind regards
John

Gordon,
I agree with the sentiments expressed by duncan_m.

Maybe they are well-intentioned, however for many people enthusiasm for gardening is short-lived. Only recently we found where a tenant had removed a big patch of lawn and a garden bed of exquisite Day Lily. A result of a short-term whim to grow veggies!

What have previous landlords said about their housekeeping and garden maintenance? How long have they been with previous landlords and why did they leave?

A green thumb is not grown overnight! :D

Lplate

Tenants are often enthusiasic about painting and gardening when they move in but 12 months down the track the urge passes. Usually I will reinburse the tenants for paint up to $x after the agent has inspected the paint job and it is OK and I require a receipt.

Of course any plumbing or other normal maintenance gets done immediately.

Stirling

I, too, have to agree with Duncan. They inspected the place before they moved in did they not? They knew the condition of garden, & yet they still moved in.

If they were my tenants, I would let them do any gardening they wish, but at their own expense. I will go the extra mile for tenants who pay regularly & keep a place in order, but will NOT spend extra money on a new tenancy. For all you know, they could be just testing the water to see if they have a landlord that if over zealous. They may inundate you with things they want & silly maintenace calls. Let them earn the right to get that little extra item they want.

I also agree with Duncan and Skater.

If I was in this position, I would reply to the RE that I would be happy for them to do work on the garden and would reimburse them to the amount of $XXX once I have inspected and are happy with the result. The last thing you want to be doing is paying up front for piles of mulch and topsoil only to have it sitting there forever and growing weeds once their short-term green thumb turns brown.

Nat :)

I think I fall a little between stools - how enthusiastic are they as gardeners? Well, the first test is do they want to put the garden in themselves (leaving aside the question of cost)?

I'd be willing to compromise - yes, they could do the garden (would NOT hire a gardener) but as for the topsoil, mulch etc, it's very easy to do a lot of good and hard to do harm with that, especially if you're as drought stricken as Canberra.

Unless they are literally too feeble to do the gardening, in which case I wouldn't think that much of the likelihood of their being able to keep up the garden.

Landscaping is not for a new tenant, IMHO.

quiggles said:
I think I fall a little between stools

Ugh I hate it when that happens! Last time I fell between stools I had to have a shower. (heck it was even June yet).

Last edited:
It asked if we would get a gardener in to remove some old plants, new topsoil, ne w mulch and some new plants so they can have a nice garden to start with. And they would be more than happy to look after it.

Hang on, if they are gardeners why are they asking that you bring in gardeners to do a bunch of work? I am a green thumb and know that decent topsoil and mulch help but are not ESSENTIAL, sounds like they want a groundforce experience. True gardeners are patient and find buiding from scratch a joy.

Unless the existing plants are encroaching on the house or are dangerous they can prune or remove as they see fit. Or just work around them.

True greenthumbs wont mind being out of pocket for the plants they put in because plants bring so much joy.

The idea of a probation sounds like a good idea.

Once they have been in there for 6 months and have shown they are into gardening then I would agree to getting some mulch and $200 worth of plants that are shrubs and are to remain after they move out. Because if they do improve the garden then it does ADD VALUE to your property.

I would prefer my $200 go on shrubs small trees etc because annuals will not establish a garden only add a splash of colour for the season. (which is valid and enjoyable but wont do anything for your garden long term)

so they can have a nice garden to start with kinda says a lot.

Sounds like a good deal if you are getting an established garden at the end but make sure they are genuine.

Keep us up to date...

I have seen tenants destroy, or replenish gardens. I agree to the truth that it is as they find it. But while you encourage tenants to take an interest in the garden - splashing money about is not the answer. Somehow the answer lies in that wishy/washy land of being a 'good manager', where you acknowledge, encourage, and give support to - while not supplying the whole answer. The tenant needs to take on responsibility, and you help provide the pride and honour in their endevous, should they show an interest. However - never forget your duty in keeping the books balanced. But do not deprive them of the honour and appreciation of their efforts. Make sure they are aware of your acknowledgement in many ways, but never forget you are trying to run a tight budget - and if you are unable to do this the property will could easily change hands. (at least that is my situation) Somehow be realistic, yet appreciative and supportive. In law there is nothing encouraging you to 'go to this garden party', but in business - there could be incentives on a social and business level.
Ok enough wiffle waffle - I had better go for a co-co now - goodnight.

Back