Tenant damage un-repairable

A tenant recently moved out of one of my properties and they admitted to accidentally breaking the cooker in the last week of their lease (dropped roast dinner on the door and smashed the glass).

When this happened they got a quote to do the repair which came in at around $300 but they said they had found a new cooker and this was only $500 so wanted to see if I would be willing to have a new cooker if they paid $150 and I paid the rest, I said no but if they pay $275 I will pay the $225 difference on the proviso the cost was $500 and as long as it was replaced within 2 weeks or if they didn't accept the offer then the repair was done within 2 weeks.

They decided to proceed with the repair as they thought they could do it cheaper however almost 4 weeks after vacating they finally got the glass to repair the door but after a lot of effort it couldn't be replaced. I then get asked if they can go with the new cooker if they pay $275 I said yes as long as the cooker is like for like and comes in at the quoted price. Two days later I get told the tenant has had their bond paid back to them with $275 deducted as my compensation but then get told the like for like replacement cooker is $900 :mad: so now I have to pay $625 as my share for a new cooker which was working perfectly before they broke it.

What would other people do in this situation think I'm pretty stuffed getting anything else off the tenant as they have had their bond released only other option is to get my property manager to pay the difference as it's them who didn't listen to my directions I never spoke or corresponded with the tenant all corro was through my pm.

Also just as a side note for future if a tenant breaks something that cannot be repaired like this scenario should they be liable for the full new for old replacement costs or is it only reasonable for them to pay part of the costs note the cooker was 5yr old but was far from on its last legs? Just so I can be ruthless in future if this occurs :)

Nice one cheers guys, ah so the age of the asset does get included if it needs replacing not so bad then no need for me to be ruthless in the future.

It's a gas upright cooker, a cheapo in good guys is around $650 but it's going to be $250 to get rid of the old one put the new one in but some of the fittings for the gas need replacing which is why the install is higher.

Think I was just a bit shocked by the fact I was only expecting to pay $200 odd but then end up paying $600 guess that's the joys of being a landlord and what my buffers are for :)

While items are depreciated when taking compensation into account I would have suggested a written quote with you and the tenant going 50-50 for the cost of the oven and the tenant footing the cost of the install. Negotiation and staying out of tribunal is usually best and most tenants will negotiate to a level that is better than what a tribunal will order as I feel tribunals are somewhat biased.

Yup, New more experienced PM I think.

While items are depreciated when taking compensation into account I would have suggested a written quote with you and the tenant going 50-50 for the cost of the oven and the tenant footing the cost of the install. Negotiation and staying out of tribunal is usually best and most tenants will negotiate to a level that is better than what a tribunal will order as I feel tribunals are somewhat biased.

Yup, New more experienced PM I think.

Totally Agree.
Always best to get any agreements confirmed in writing.
The point is to never assume and always double check, a 10 second google at the time of the request could have saved you the cost :)

Back