new trust/SMSF question

Hi guys
My parents have a SMSF with ppty held in trust. They have located a rental house that they would like to purchase (in Qld) but only have half the $ to buy the house. They have approached me to see if I am interested in purchasing half the house.

I am setting up a trust to protect all my future IP acquisitions. My question is: Can my trust own only half a house or does it have to buy the whole lot? Can their SMSF only buy half a house?

PS Obviously if we decide to purchase the ppty we will get a solicitor to draft the agreement and how the ownership is structured. We have time up our sleeve to make an informed decision and we would seek independent advice as well - but if it isn't possible we need to make alternative arrangements.

Thanks Ecogirl

Hi

Yes, your trust can buy a 50% interest in the property. However, your parents might need to get specific advice as their SMSF cannot allow the property to be security for your loan.

Dale

Ecogirl said:
Hi guys
My parents have a SMSF with ppty held in trust. They have located a rental house that they would like to purchase (in Qld) but only have half the $ to buy the house. They have approached me to see if I am interested in purchasing half the house.

I am setting up a trust to protect all my future IP acquisitions. My question is: Can my trust own only half a house or does it have to buy the whole lot? Can their SMSF only buy half a house?

PS Obviously if we decide to purchase the ppty we will get a solicitor to draft the agreement and how the ownership is structured. We have time up our sleeve to make an informed decision and we would seek independent advice as well - but if it isn't possible we need to make alternative arrangements.

Thanks Ecogirl

Dale
What about if I set up a hybrid trust and I bought the ppty in that trust. Can their super then buy units in that trust to the $ value they want?

(I was reading your book last nite and it mentions that trusts can buy units of another trust - but not sure about SMSF.)

I was wondering approx how much does it cost to set up a corporate trustee and a hybrid trust? What are the approx ongoing costs per year?

Thanks
Ecogirl

Back