New WA Residential Tenancy Agreement-Renewal Issue

I am currently preparing a couple of renewal leases (fixed) for resi IPs in Perth using the new WA Residential Tenancy Forms as available on the website below:

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Property_renting/Renting/NewRTALaws.html

Whilst most of the new changes seem okay, some requirements are ridiculous and will create more confusion than was intended.

For example, the following requirement at first glance seems pretty innocuous:

If a fixed-term agreement is being renewed for the same tenants at the same rental premises, you don’t have to give your tenant 60 days written notice, however, the rent cannot be increased in the first 30 days after the new agreement begins.

However, the above requirement will mean my tenant(s) who pay rent fortnightly will have three changes in rental amounts to pay within the first four rental periods of a renewed lease!

• First 2 weeks- at previous rental rate (rental amount $A)
• Next 2 weeks- at previous rental rate
• Next 2 weeks- 2 d at old rate plus 12 d at new rate (rental amount $B)
• Next 2 weeks- 14 days at new rate (rental amount $C)

Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I have had this confirmed in writing by Consumer Protection when I queried it.

Of course, as I can't increase rent within a six month period, this will also mean my scheduled rent increase will need to be written in as happening in Month 7.

How to make a simple thing difficult, sheesh ……..:rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing that out. To keep things a little simpler I would consider upping the rent an extra $5/wk or (relevant amount) and beginning the rent increase on the day/fortnight after the increase falls due.

Why not just renew the agreement 30 days earlier than you otherwise would have?

The issue is not the amount (this can easily be sorted out in adjusting the rent), it is the wording and lease preparation requirement. A lease renewed 30 days earlier will still have the same wording requirement - that is the issue!

The issue is not the amount (this can easily be sorted out in adjusting the rent), it is the wording and lease preparation requirement. A lease renewed 30 days earlier will still have the same wording requirement - that is the issue!

Oh okay, fair enough. Shrug, time to renew all your tenancy agreements before 1 July?

Back