New Website for Batten

Thanks Chris for all the references. The CPI comment came from the video on the page from the link at the start of this thread. My reference to Mums & Dad's and CPI was a summing up of the discussion in this thread to that point. If I was to make that statement out of that context I would have to cover some of the less common uses but that wasn't where this discussion was heading.

Has anyone read the material Chris noted?

Just wondering if the accountants here who have formed their current opinions have done so having read this information??

Mry, Pat, Coasty, Julia...

I have just completed Taxation of Trusts for the Masters of Tax in which I got a Distinction and yes these were all mandatory readings.

I have just completed Taxation of Trusts for the Masters of Tax in which I got a Distinction and yes these were all mandatory readings.

Congratulations Mike on the great result. I have enough trouble trying to understand my HDT deed let alone anything else:eek:

Cheers - Gordon

In keeping with the Star Wars theme,

Evil Empire - ATO
Seduced by the Dark Side - Used a HDT
Human-Cyborg Realations - Web Master
Jaba The Hut - <insert name here!>
Death Star - Evil Empire audit
Should I avoid a HDT - search your feelings, you know it to be true
Jedi Council - Jula, Mry CoastyMike, Pat etc

Hello Chris Batten,

Are you still reading...I think, as GreatPig suggested, it was on your video, although it's possible that your words were misinterpreted...

Are you able to clarify further what you meant???

I think that's the only thing that will close this silly debate once and for all...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

I must admit that after listening to the video it seemed to suggest that in order to ensure the highest chance of ATO accepting a negative gearing situation that the CPI method would be most appropriate. Maybe I misinterpreted it. Personally I always thought market value made the most sense but then I'm not an accoutant.

Cheers - Gordon

JIT,
Has anyone read the material Chris noted?

Just wondering if the accountants here who have formed their current opinions have done so having read this information??

Mry, Pat, Coasty, Julia...

I would love to find the time to post a summary of Chris' references verses Fletchers case, TR 95/33 etc. Hopefully I will one day. My point still comes back to an ATO ruling or test case. The fact that both sides of the argument can show references means at the very least the matter is uncertain. We live in a era of self assessment. It is up to you to decide what is sound at law before you lodge your tax return. You, not even your accountant! This is why the ATO has a ruling system. Do not go into these arrangements unless they can produce an ATO ruling or test case that is specfic to their deed.

Back