Newspaper Pay Walls

Must be grim times to work in a newspaper office. A mate of mine is a journo with The Australian. I think they've got bad news coming this week, too.

Scott

I agree. I think I graduated uni a few years too "late" otherwise I'd probably be impacted as well. By the time I started to look for work, many news outlets already froze or heavily reduced the hiring of new staff. I was pretty annoyed at the time as I had got through to the final stage of recruitment for several big media outlets and then just missed out but it's probably a blessing in disguise.

I work in a sort of similar role now (media relations and PR) but once my husband finishes his medical training, I'm definitely considering heading overseas to a country where the media is more valued and trying to get back into writing again. I think it's in my blood :p

I'm definitely considering heading overseas to a country where the media is more valued and trying to get back into writing again. I think it's in my blood

The media is valued here. But there is just not as much money in it anymore. This is happening everywhere.

Not really. There are still many good quality media outlets all over the world. There is no money in it when you fire the people that actually write the stories and encourage a press release approach to newgathering. A lot of people in Australia view a newspaper as something you read in the train or while having a coffee and don't place value on the broader implications beyond that.

Even our public media outlets are not properly funded. It doesn't come close to the likes of the BBC etc (over 8 times difference actually). On the same token, I doubt many people would want to pay more tax to get a better quality result.

"A lot of people in Australia view a newspaper as something you read in the train or while having a coffee."

Guilty.

I don't imagine there are many media outlets around the world clamouring for staff. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe there are lots that have worked a way to make money out of the internet and the Aussie ones haven't caught on yet.

Yesterday, I was thinking i would consider a subscription to smh.com.au cause I read it every day.... but today I'm reconsidering.....

if Gina Reinhardt (or anyone else) has editorial control, I would not pay for it.
If soneone wants to influence the "news", they should pay for that advertising themselves.

I pay for a subscription to the Sydney Telegraph on iPad. It's not great stuff, but interesting enough. And at $6 pm it's loose change stuff.

I also read SMH on iPad and like it much better. Paying an amount like that wouldn't hurt my pockets too much. The latest version of SMH has made the cryptic crossword available and interactive. When I have time again ...

Back