Nintendo Game&Watch (1980's)

Hi,

In the past couple of weeks I've been keen to re-collect the Nintendo games I played as a kid and after jumping on ebay have discovered some of them can be quite expensive.

I'm just posting this to see if maybe anyone out there has some of these games lying around that they don't particularly want. You might be sitting on a gold mine. So far, I have spent around $400 on 6 'fair condition' games from ebay... in good condition these would easily total over $1000.

In particular, I'm looking for Manhole, Gold Edition... if anyone has it, please PM me because even ebay has none listed.

gw_manhole_card.jpg

Thanks,
Ian

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm just after ones that are in working order, but not mint. Just something I can play without fear of breathing on it! In mint condition, these can fetch $450-$500 each :eek:

Hi Ian, I don't have Manhole but I'm sure I have the split screen Donkey Kong 1 & 2, and Mario Bro's in a box somewhere.. Brings back memories of school holidays and the fights with my sister - good times!!

My husband's collection is not for sale and he has had all of them since he was a boy way back in the '80's. We noticed some time ago that they were going for really good prices - we should probably stop miss 4 from playing with them - she thinks they are a Nintendo DS. I've attached a picture of his games.

Another collectable that you wouldn't think of is '80s and '90's Music T-shirts, especially tour t-shirts from Metal Bands. Think of all the 14 and 15 year olds who's mothers refused to let them buy them - they all have money now and are reliving their youth.

Hubby has a well worn Slayer T-shirt that we've seen on ebay for $80 US. That particular item even had holes in it, but still sold. Unfortunately some of his other collectables became ties for our tomato bushes and oil rags. He did recover a number of those type of shirts he had in the rag box and has since put them safely in storage.

One t-shirt we did notice was a Rolling stones tour t-shirt - brand new from the '60's going for $800 US.

Cheers
Buddybee

Attachments

• GNW.jpg
    GNW.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 100
My husband's collection is not for sale and he has had all of them since he was a boy way back in the '80's. We noticed some time ago that they were going for really good prices - we should probably stop miss 4 from playing with them - she thinks they are a Nintendo DS. I've attached a picture of his games.

Nice buddybee, I wonder if you have boxes+foam+instructions for any of them? :) I managed to get the following from ebay recently:

Donkey Kong 1
Mario Bros
Fire Attack
Snoopy Tennis
Greenhouse
Oil Panic

VBplease if you feel like selling, I'd be interested in DK2 (if you can dig it up and check what condition it's in).

It's a shame Manhole is so rare, it was one of my faves.

Holy smokes, I just gave away Donkey Kong, Snoopy tennis and Oil Panic to one of my staffs kids. They were all in their original boxs with instructions. I had them sitting in my cupboard for years and when we moved houses I decided to get rid of them.:eek::eek:

I used to love these, but have no idea where any of them went...

I'm just wondering how much these originally retailed for? Given some of these would be 25-30 years old by now, I'm wondering if they actually were a good investment when compared to inflation.

I'm not criticizing collectors by this, I think they're fairly cool, I'm just curious.

Holy smokes, I just gave away Donkey Kong, Snoopy tennis and Oil Panic to one of my staffs kids. They were all in their original boxs with instructions. I had them sitting in my cupboard for years and when we moved houses I decided to get rid of them.:eek::eek:

:eek::eek: Sounds like at least $500 worth!

I'm just wondering how much these originally retailed for? Given some of these would be 25-30 years old by now, I'm wondering if they actually were a good investment when compared to inflation.

From memory, my mum paid around $50 for Donkey Kong 1 new, in 1983.

Maybe offer to buy them a brand new Nintendo DS in exchange for them back?

spewing - wish i had kept my donkey kong now!

I just got my Donkey Kong from ebay for $68 in great working condition however ebay's a bit hit and miss... Snoopy Tennis from the same seller had a poor description and turned out to be practically worthless with a really bad screen (not mentioned in the description). I tried to get at least a partial refund from the seller and they accused me of scamming them. (Some kind of purchase-and-then-complain-and-get-partial-refund scam or some nonsense).

These game & watches are actually going up in value - as they get older and more and more of them break (manufactured in 1984, they are now 22 years old), there are less on the market.

For Donkey Kong 2, a couple of years ago a working version in fair condition was around $50. Now closer to $70-80. In mint condition in the box, you can easily get $200-300. There is a lot of nostalgic demand for them. Original Game Boy will probably head the same way in about 5 years, most were made in 1990-1992.

Back