No Public Housing in 10 years: warning!

Interesting article.

It doesn't match up with the conversations I've had with the public housing authority in NSW or SA however :)

At the moment public housing is going through a major shift.

Old think was that you stuck public housing all together in one place because it was easier to manage....

The effects have been to create ghettos in certain places & make them less desireable to private home owners - even people in public housing were often turned off buying their places even with governmwnt subsidies because who'd want to own there or raise a family in those areas...

Also many public housing dwellings were houses with 3 bedrooms plus.

A shift in demographics that has definitely impacted on public housing has been the shrinkage in family sizes, meaning that some public housing is inappropriate for the high need market.

At the moment many public housing departments around Australia are being quite dynamic in how they are turning over their 'stock' of dwellings. Selling off portions of suburbs to reduce the concentration & create more mixed areas, reducing stocks of larger dwellings and replacing with 1-2 bedroom townhouses and the like.

They are working with developers in rejuvenating areas and creating both a better living environment for people using public housing and increasing the attractiveness of areas that include some public housing.

I think that this work will go a long way towards helping Authorities run the public housing sector more effectively.

Frankly, while on the surface the death of public housing would seem to be good for private landlords.

In actual fact, public housing is a very useful safety net for catching the people that private landlords don't like to have in their properties.

I, for one, would be sad to see it disappear, as it would likely push more people down and out rather than up and in.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
Interesting article.

Frankly, while on the surface the death of public housing would seem to be good for private landlords.
In actual fact, public housing is a very useful safety net for catching the people that private landlords don't like to have in their properties.
I, for one, would be sad to see it disappear, as it would likely push more people down and out rather than up and in.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Acey,

I would think that the housing commisions in each state would
be hiring properties in much the same way as the defence housing
authority and offer higher returns, new paint and carpet between leases etc

I am not sure that it would push people down,
People learn by association, I think spreading out people with problems
in the community would be more beneficial for them.

The housing authorities will still have to preserve some of their existing
housing for people who are difficult to deal with.

Cheers,

I always wonder about the tenants who get kicked out of public housing and wonder where they end up ? There are plenty around , I have them as patients... or living next to other patients

Maybe with investors who self manage and don't do background checks...

See Change

Aceyducey said:
Interesting article.

It doesn't match up with the conversations I've had with the public housing authority in NSW or SA however :)

At the moment public housing is going through a major shift.

Old think was that you stuck public housing all together in one place because it was easier to manage...."

Acey,
Just out of interest, why have you been conversing with the Dept of public housing? I'd like to contact them myself, to find out about a particular street in a regional area that has been "tagged" with that ghetto label that you mention.
The whole street is undesirable to the locals, as almost every house is HC, all the same (fibro boxes) and virtually no home pride exists. Gardens are non existent, lawns overgrown, no decent window coverings (most have old sheets) and old unregistered vehicles litter the front yards. The street stands out amongst otherwise tidy and well kept homes.
With all the recent media reports about the Dept tidying up, I wonder how I go about finding out what is happening in that particular area, if I can at all. After all, if they're going to have a firesale of assets (as they claim) then, I, for one, would be interested in acquiring some of these properties for myself. Might make the place much nicer with some privately owned dwellings :)

Jacque said:
Just out of interest, why have you been conversing with the Dept of public housing?
We were talking to them last year about picking up groups of properties & renovating them for the private market - either in JV with the department or as straight buy & redevelop,

However the department is still in the public service mindset - so it takes a few years to get through their review processes. They're also most interested in dealing with large developers - easier for the government.

I wasn't interested in doing a 40 property deal up front given the uncertainty & funds required & that it would not happen for several years.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back