No TV in Rental

thanks for your response, yes we have put everything in writing but we have to deal with the maintenance department not the property manager.

We are not happy about going to the VCAT as surely this will warrant us a bad reference when the time comes to leave and as we move around with work a lot we really need to maintain excellent rental history.

We will try the deadline idea though - thank you :)

We moved to an inner Adelaide suburb and 6 year old house in the middle of the year. We couldn't get any TV reception. So we paid for someone to come out and tell us what we needed to get our TV to work. They said there was no chance of it working because the house had no aerial. We of course contacted the real estate agent and were told the landlord couldn't afford it as the gap between their mortgage and the rental income was making life a real struggle for them. That really annoyed me, perhaps they should have crunched their numbers before buying an IP! Anyway it took us repeated phone calls, emails and letters before 4 mths later we had an aerial in place.

As far as TV aerial in place on the roof, there was a Foxtel dish, but these days many newer properties have aerials in the roof (not visible from a quick roof check) and I think there are very few people who would crawl into the roof space of a prospective rental property.

We moved to an inner Adelaide suburb and 6 year old house in the middle of the year. We couldn't get any TV reception. So we paid for someone to come out and tell us what we needed to get our TV to work. They said there was no chance of it working because the house had no aerial. We of course contacted the real estate agent and were told the landlord couldn't afford it as the gap between their mortgage and the rental income was making life a real struggle for them. That really annoyed me, perhaps they should have crunched their numbers before buying an IP! Anyway it took us repeated phone calls, emails and letters before 4 mths later we had an aerial in place.

As far as TV aerial in place on the roof, there was a Foxtel dish, but these days many newer properties have aerials in the roof (not visible from a quick roof check) and I think there are very few people who would crawl into the roof space of a prospective rental property

This is true. I rented for 10 yrs+ and never had an issue with antennas not existing... Pretty shaky ground to be standing on tofor a laklndlord toto say, what you want to watch tv, in a copital city in Australia, ho w unreasonabale...

Not much help am I, but it's stupidly frustrating

Yes it is very frustrating considering there is an aerial but it's not connected properly and only the builders can fix it because of the new house warranty.

We were also caught out in Adelaide years ago so we always check for ports and aerials when inspecting prospective properties.

but thank you also for responding, it helps us feel that we are not being unreasonable or "whingers" for expecting these things to be available and working.

i find it strange that there's an ariel on the roof. my ppor is on fttp but does not have an ariel. in k4k4m's second link, "... the replacement of copper with fibre, this project will deliver ultra high speed fibre-optic services, including internet, digital free-to-air TV, FOXTEL from Telstra and multiple HomeLine services all from one cable with no need for rooftop antennas or dishes"

i was in a similar situation after my house was built. i got phone and net connection but no tv. the telstra contractor said that signal was coming into the telstra box outside so it should be a fault with the ariel wiring in the house. he looked in the roof and pointed that the tv socket wiring from the bedrooms were all coiled together and taped on one of the roof frame. the ariel wire from the telstra box outside was also coiled up in the roof space. he said to tell the builder to get a splitter box installed. our builder already got his final payment so he was in no rush to fix this for us ... and state of orgin was coming :(

so i got myself one of this http://dicksmith.com.au/product/L4474/four-way-tv-75-ohm-splitter-coupler. installation instructions are on the back of the splitter box and i also googled for some online installation examples just to reassure myself. i spent an hour in the roof connecting 4 wires to a box but it's really a 10 minute job.

but since you're a tenant, i'd suggest following what others have said.

Lazy *******s. Ring the PM and say that as there was an antennae and port when you chose the place, connection was implied and as such affected your decision to rent such a property. Failure to to respond with when this will be remidied by week-end will result in going to VCAT. PM seems extremely lazy from appearances, pushing them (politely but firmly) seems to be the only solution to not falling between the cracks.

I got an antennae put in my new property on Wednesday. Rang Monday arvo.

Different to sparkies etc. in that they serve one main service, as such delays are rare.

there is an aerial as it was included in the package of building apparently - it also works out cheaper for the owners if we choose to use the aerial for TV rather than them having to pay the cost for connecting the optic fibre for the same reason.

Finally talked to someone on the phone from the RE yesterday and apparently they are very busy because the builders of the new homes were on holidays and they could not get anything fixed over xmas.

That's understandable, we will leave it a couple more weeks then start the ball rolling again.

When we rang about the insulation falling out of the vent above our daughters bed and in the spare room where I had a chair set up to feed my baby. We were told to close the vent in that room when using the cooling system. However now the heating vents have insulation falling onto and into our beds even when the heating is not on. We have a 9 month old crawler who likes to eat everything and although I am normally very clean and vacuum regularly I am having to do it at least once a day to ensure there is no insulation in corners for him to pick up.

Forget about the aerial and be very concerned about the insulation being blown throughout the house.

Due to allergies I couldn't even be in your house right now with fiberglass insulation flying around. Became sensitive as a result of exposure.

Cheers

Back