North Adelaide Suburbs

Hi All,

Less than 4 days to go until i arrive in Adelaide 

I have been looking for rental properties, within my $400pw (4 bedrooms) budget, which are about 10km from my new office in Greenhill Road. These areas included:

1: NW of my office – Flinders Park, Fulham Gardens etc
2: West of my office – Mile End etc
3: SW of my office – Clovelly Park, Oaklands Park, Dover Gardens etc

For some reason i never considered areas directly north of my office, such as Devon Park, Prospect and surrounding suburbs.

I think what put me off these areas was having to get through the CBD to get to my office in Greenhill Road. How would the morning traffic be? Obviously alot worse than if I was living 10km south of my office. I am also happy to cycle to work.

Also, how is Devon Park, Prospect and surrounding suburbs?

Regards,
Robbie

Crossing through the CBD in peak hour is a nightmare. It is currently being compounded by the construction going on next to the train station which is causing a bottleneck.

Many a time I've taken 30 minutes to get from South Terrace to North Adelaide and vice versa.

Outside of peak hour it's around 5 minutes.

In saying that, Prospect is quite a nice area. Don't know all that much about Devon etc.

I should think that Richmond would be same/cheaper than Prospect and saves you from the gridlock of coming from North...

It also depends on where you are located along Greenhill Rd. If it's only on the other side of the park lands public transport isn't necessarily ruled out..

thanks for the advice.. i thought traffic would be a prob.

What are peak times in Adelaide?

i am also happy to cycle.. i was doing 26km each day in Sydney.. that was just to the station and back

I think those suburbs would be fine because you would not need to go directly through the city.

You have another 2 or 3 routes you could consider depending on where you are and where you are going.

These are...

going around the city on the western side, past the Aquatic Centre, either through North Adelaide (Jeffcott St.) and cutting through the western side of the city, OR going around on the western side down Park Tce. onto Port Rd., then North Tce. and West Tce. in the city.

The other way around is on the eastern side (which would work well if your job was on the eastern side of Greenhill Rd) along Robe Tce., Hackney Rd., Dequettaville Tce, and then Fullarton Rd.

Most of the other suburbs you have mentioned are probably not that much better, it being peak hour.

The G10 bus on Prospect Rd (leaves every 10 to 15 mins), goes through the city, crosses Greenhill Rd. and goes down Goodwood Rd.

I don't know how far off that route is from work and the childrens school but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Ah, right next to the tram line. Either ride if you're game, or catch a bus into the city and then take the tram. Should make it in good time. Alternatively as Weg mentioned, take the outer routes.

Robbie, Have you considered going a few klm out to the north Eastern areas?

Easy access to Greenhill Rd from suburbs like Payneham, Campbelltown, Firle, Klemzig, Dernancourt, Rostrevor - all leafy, good quality suburbs and no need to cross the city.

Years ago i lived at Campbelltown and worked in the city. Took me 10 -15 minutes to get to work in those days.

Check this one out -

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-klemzig-404239126

and this -

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-klemzig-408584543

Rocket.

Daw Park and Colonel Light Gardens in the south you can get 4 bedders nudging $400 (most are a bit over), and they are well positioned between Marion and Mitcham shopping centres. If you work on Greenhill Road, the 190 bus runs through Daw Park and Colonel Light Gardens past Mitcham and then north along Unley Road. Cycling is also possible, I knew people who worked in the city who would do that distance into the city from the south plus more every morning!

Back