North and Eastern Suburbs of Adelaide

Hi, I am intending to buy up a low $300k unit and the preferable distance would be 7km from Adelaide city or lesser.

I've came across a nice unit in Broadview but am unsure of the location, especially safety wise. I have heard that the neighbouring suburbs towards the north have higher crime rates, but I'm not sure if Broadview would be affected. Moreover the unit that I'm looking at is towards the north end of Broadview, few streets before Regency Road. Can anyone shed some light on this, and also on the future prospect of northern suburb?

There are also quite a few affordable units at the eastern suburb (for example Payneham South, Firle, Tranmere). However I'm hesitant in getting a unit in that area because it is my understanding that those areas are saturated and since there are heaps of units around, the growth of those areas are pretty much stagnant and I won't be getting much back from this unit in the future?

Any suggestion/advice is much appreciated!!! Thanks all! :)

Last edited:
Living in those areas (Tranmere/Firle), i can say that there isnt really any more of a saturation as there is in other suburbs. If you were looking <7km from the cbd with 300K for a unit, id look around maylands, evandale and surrounds.

I would say you would probably get a better yield in the inner north, but inner east would be more established "blue chip" suburbs.

Yea, that's what I'm aiming for, future yield when I'm looking at the inner north suburbs. Having said that tho, the growth for Broadview in 2011 is near 0%. Hopefully it'll improve in the long term.

The unit that I'm interested in has a decent size courtyard, garage and there is no adjoining walls except for the garage wall! Is hard to get this in eastern suburb as the land is limited and units at the main road is a definite no no for me. The thing that is holding me back from getting the unit is just the safety of the area.. :(

Thanks for those suggestions by the way, i'll keep an eye on them! :)

Hi snow,

So I'm guessing considering your focus upon safety, that the purpose of the unit is as your personal place of residence?

I'd personally say that Broadview is an ok place to live safety wise. Whilst I am not fond in any respect for the Clearview area north of it, The large Lightsview development is comfortably wedged between the area and Broadview, so it would be much more likely to experience problems, to which I haven't personally heard of.

A quick search of 'Broadview' and 'crime' within the news sites doesn't pick up much, mainly car chases (Happen a lot in the North-Eastern areas) and much of it pre-2010.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/topic/broadview-5083

Have you considered looking at inner suburbs in general? If my cirumstances were a little different (and it wasn't under contract!), I personally would have jumped on this in a heartbeat:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-norwood-108347831

Norwood, beautiful old style, great potential. Something worth considering perhaps?

Excellent suburb, facilities and just outside the CBD, $299k price guide.

Hi CJay,
I've actually seen that house before! The interior was pretty bad and there will be heaps of renovations that need to be done. With my budget of only low $300k, dont think that is a viable choice. Preferably I would want to find somewhere where I can move in straight. Totally get you though, house in that suburb for that price is hard to get by..

I've been looking at all inner suburbs (except for the west) - came across quite a few units at plympton/south plympton (south west area) but the neighbourhood doesnt look really appealing (gardens are not well maintained), double storey units and mainly along Anzac Highway. South and south east are pretty pricey so they've gone out from my list, haha!

I just started with the inner north, but because i've been living in south for a few years now, the unfamiliarity with the north is causing me to be really sceptical about the area, especially when people keeps saying north is always an unsafe area to live in. I went to the Sefton Plaza today, and I'll say I've seen better malls. And so that adds to my doubt further.

Oh, back to Broadview for a second, the unit that Im looking at is just at the Broadview Oval so it'll be quite nice I guess. Thanks for the link and information! i've actually never known lightsview before this. :)

Cheers, snow

Oh, back to Broadview for a second, the unit that Im looking at is just at the Broadview Oval so it'll be quite nice I guess. Thanks for the link and information! i've actually never known lightsview before this. :)

Cheers, snow

There's definately nothing wrong with Broadview between Regency Rd. and the city.

IMO, the reason it doesn't appear on the radar as much as other well located suburbs is because there is no cafe strip or 'trendy' features about it.

It's just a nice, sedate, understated, asthetically pleasing suburb - definately under rated.

Safety wise it's probably not that different to most other areas close to the city.

Infact it's probably a lot safer than places like North Adelaide where realestate is much more expensive.

CJay - i was actually looking at that place myself. What a gem that would have been!

If this is for an IP, why be so worried about safety? True, if it were in the roughest parts of town such as Daveron Park it would be an issue, but with places like Broadview, i dont think it would be any different than 75% of the suburbs in Adelaide. Maybe youre getting that feeling because the area is not as asthetically pleasing as youd like.

Being a little run down doenst mean crime rates are high.

I lived in Kilburn, Blair Athol and the north end of Prospect for years, loved it. Bit shabby but its much nicer now than it used to be.

Its got to the point I've been out of Adelaide long enough and have absolutely no idea where the good schools are in Adelaide that I have no idea at all where I'd actually *want* to live in Adelaide these days ...

I lived in Kilburn, Blair Athol and the north end of Prospect for years, loved it. Bit shabby but its much nicer now than it used to be.

Its got to the point I've been out of Adelaide long enough and have absolutely no idea where the good schools are in Adelaide that I have no idea at all where I'd actually *want* to live in Adelaide these days ...

Remember they're building super schools, there's a massive one at Gepps Cross.

See, that's the first I've heard of that - I have literally *no* idea where the good schools are in Adelaide. None whatsoever. Partner says his school was good, its the Norwood one.

Back