Northside brisbane townhouse or units to recommend - 260k -300k?

My friend who is the sole executor of his mother's estate in Melbourne is wanting to buy a townhouse or unit in Northside Brisbane, cash. He loves the Northside, first house was in Geebung, built a house in Samford Valley, lived in Apsley, Kedron, Ascot, Highgate Hill and Sandgate. He'd love anything in the North, Stafford, Stafford Heights, Eaton's Hill etc. I suggested to him Southside of Brisbane but his heart is firmly set on the North side.

He's out of touch with the Brisbane market, having lived in Melbourne for a number of years to look after his aged mom.

Anyone knows if there's any nice townhouses/units on the North side that is within his budget of 260-300k? In a quiet, lovely North Brisbane suburb that's not overbuilt?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-alderley-116604683

I dont know Alderley very well but appears to fit the bill?
Nundah is another spot where that price is still (barely by the look of it) manageable but with the price range and locations your friend is looking for, I am guessing it will be a unit over a townhouse, unless they look further out. (10k's +)
If you urgently need a unit 'looked' over, depending on where/when it is, I can probably help you out as I am inner north brissy.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-alderley-116604683

I dont know Alderley very well but appears to fit the bill?
Nundah is another spot where that price is still (barely by the look of it) manageable but with the price range and locations your friend is looking for, I am guessing it will be a unit over a townhouse, unless they look further out. (10k's +)
If you urgently need a unit 'looked' over, depending on where/when it is, I can probably help you out as I am inner north brissy.

Wow, that unit in Alderley looks smashing, Mitch!
And it's near a train station too. No. 4 is not a problem for him, he's not superstitious. Low body corporate, wow!
Thank you, Mitch for your offer, I'll forward this link to him saying you found it.
Please, nobody touch this unit first! :D
My friend would have had a lot more money to buy if his millionaire brothers were not demanding a 25% share each of his mother's estate. His mother left her house and her estate to him as a thank you for looking after her all these years. She said her other sons were financially secure and did not need her help. One son is sitting on 5-7 million dollars and the other is an ANZ bank manager. But of course, they are contesting the will fiercely and my friend has caved in to their demands, including paying their legal fees! :eek:

Family eh! bless him, probably trying to keep the waters calm and loses a heap in the process:(
glad I found one to fit the bill, yep the location does look good and low body corp always a good thing :)
if I wasn't all tied up myself I wouldn't have posted it ;)

it's not too far from me so if he is interested, will check it out or do a drive by if needed. but I suspect its a move quickly one as nothing is hanging around for long but looks like it has had a price drop so look into the why on that because it is keenly priced!?but I would want to know the why, if it was just that it was overpriced for the area (I havent looked into it) then fine but otherwise?D.D. (Check body corp minutes to make sure there are no large payments in the near future?)

Last edited:
This house is too good to be true. Alderley is a quite hot suburb, most properties attract long queue of buyers to inspect. If it is really good value, it will go quickly.

Just an opinion, a physical visit is necessary to find the catch.

This house is too good to be true. Alderley is a quite hot suburb, most properties attract long queue of buyers to inspect. If it is really good value, it will go quickly.

Just an opinion, a physical visit is necessary to find the catch.

Under contract yesterday, anything that is good value will go quickly....so true, but too late!

The area (Stafford, Stafford Heights, Eaton's Hill) that Beanie Girl is hot hot hot already.. If you want to go bit further up, you may find price range in Taigum, Aspley, Zilmere surround. Just need to be careful with the strata, especially big complex with tennis court and pool..

How about house in Lawtown, Bray Park, Strathpine surround? is it too far?

The area (Stafford, Stafford Heights, Eaton's Hill) that Beanie Girl is hot hot hot already.. If you want to go bit further up, you may find price range in Taigum, Aspley, Zilmere surround. Just need to be careful with the strata, especially big complex with tennis court and pool..

How about house in Lawtown, Bray Park, Strathpine surround? is it too far?

The price of the units and townhouses in Strathpine, Bray Park, and Lawnton look promising. Took a quick squiz. Thanks ZachAnSel, certainly something worth considering :)

The price of the units and townhouses in Strathpine, Bray Park, and Lawnton look promising. Took a quick squiz. Thanks ZachAnSel, certainly something worth considering :)

We purchase 1 house at bracken ridge early last year at $300k, didnt check the price range til 2 months ago. Performing well so far, house in that suburb touch 350ish. Rent around $365/week potentially can tocih $375

We almost bought strathpine 3br townhouse, but got gazumped. Since last dec we research adelaide market, to avoid competition

You should be able to pick up a townhouse/villa in Taigum for that sort of money. There are normally a few available - a real estate agent I was speaking to who sells only in Taigum said that the 2 bedders are selling for high $200's and 3 beds for low $300's at the moment. Most of the complexes have at least a pool though and body corp fees about $500ish a quarter from memory.

Thanks pipsal. My friend prefers no pool as this increases the body corp fees. The unit in Alderley above had body corp fees of $1700 a year which I guess must be low for a unit so close to cbd (7 kms). Thanks for the tip, I'll scout around in Taigum, and see if there any units or townhouses with lowish body corp fees.

Hi Beanie Girl
He would be lucky to find a townhouse in the suburbs mentioned in your first post. A unit may be possible though. For a townhouse in north Bris for the $260- $300K maybe check out Strathpine, Zillmere, Brendale, Taigum, Fitzgibbon and further north.
Cheers, nat

Hi Beanie Girl
He would be lucky to find a townhouse in the suburbs mentioned in your first post. A unit may be possible though. For a townhouse in north Bris for the $260- $300K maybe check out Strathpine, Zillmere, Brendale, Taigum, Fitzgibbon and further north.
Cheers, nat

Hey Nat, i think you're spot on. It will be easier to find a townhouse for that price range in the suburbs you mention above. I'm tending to favour Strathpine and Taigum as the 2 suburbs that show promise. I'll still look at Alderley and Grange for units but look for townhouses in the above mentioned areas.

Back