Not Happy with ATO!

Wifey and I spent a good 60-70 hours this year in June/July/Aug over many weekends on our Income/Expenses spreadsheets, number crunching.
Almost every weekend was spent working through the tax deductible expenses. All the paper-work builtup over the year would be laid out on the study table and reconciled with our spreadsheet entry. With 12 properties under the belt we have by now devised a straight through process set in place to deal with the several Income/Expenses items so as not to miss any detail, however small.

Also we have bucketted the Tax deductions in terms of what is Claimable, and if claimable, whether it is:
a. claimable in the year of occurance (like council rates, maintenance exp)
b. over 5 years or (like LMI)
c. over a Period of years (like Depreciation)
d. At the time of Sale (like Capital Costs - such as Stamp Duty)

Having done all the hard-work we lodged our returns on E-Tax on the 20-Aug.
We were excited to see the ATO returns that we were entitled to receive. It came in at a sizeable a 38K Refund. Was happy. Uncork the Champagne!

After 5 weeks of waiting not having recieved my returns, I called in today to ATO to find out what was holding up. Apparently, they have "Processed" the returns but have not "Released" the payment into my bank account.

Apparently, since the returns were "so large" and unusual for a Personal Tax payer, they have decided to scrutinise the figures closely.

Okay Not a problem. I had expected this to come at some stage, but has come within our 5 year investing Journey.

Anyways I continued further and enquired about the next stages of this "scrutiny process". Apparently ATO don't have a "timeline" in which they need to complete the scrutiny.

OMG!!

A taxpayer has a timeline (sorry, deadline) for "When to Pay your tax" but the Tax-man has no such timeline as to "when to repay the over-paid Tax" back to the tax payer...

Some justice it is!

Just one of a few reasons, Gentle_Chief, to get your tax refund back on a weekly basis during the course of the year via a Income Tax Variation form. Why give the ATO an interest-free $38K loan every year and then get this kind of 'timely' refund? :rolleyes:

Just one of a few reasons, Gentle_Chief, to get your tax refund back on a weekly basis during the course of the year via a Income Tax Variation form. Why give the ATO an interest-free $38K loan every year and then get this kind of 'timely' refund? :rolleyes:

Good point Propertunity, once ATO has cleared the refund payment this year, I will organise the ITVW. This has one main advantage: I dont want the same dismal process repeated next year where another young pimple-faced CPA asking the same old questions and my Tax claims being 'scrutinised' yet again.
Enough with that.

P.S: In the past I have not been a Big Fan of ITVW purely from the fact that a lump-sum E.O.Y payment from Big brother could be used as a deposit for a new purchase. Though common-sense says why cant you get it in advance rather than wait for it E.O.Y.

I guess another reason we strayed away from ITVW was during the GFC we were quite sure we had to "Pay" ATO back rather than receive anything back because the Interest rates were so Low and all our IPs were (and still are) strongly CF +ve.

I wonder if they would be looking at it if you had of used an accountant? Not having a go..just wondered if using an account decreases chance of audit.
Does this mean you will be audited?

Yes we have been using the ITWV for 11 years now. As propertunity says, why give the ATO a interest free loan on money that's rightfully yours. The ITWV has allowed us to build our portfolio quicker by acquiring more properties faster. Get your returns working more efficiently for you 12 months in advance instead of being 12 month behind and waiting for the end of financial year.

Investing is all about maximising cash flow and minimising risk, and availing yourself of the ATO's ITWV is just another tool at your disposal towards increasing your cash flow.

I hope this helps.

I wonder if they would be looking at it if you had of used an accountant? Not having a go..just wondered if using an account decreases chance of audit.

Hi Sam3e3,

I was told by an Accountant once that using an Accountant to lodge your tax returns would have lesser chances of an ATO audit.

Who knows maybe it is true?
Atleast that has been the case here with me.

But the last 3 years we have filed the lodgements ourselves. And 3 years prior (until 2007) we used an Accountant.

And this is the first time this is happening.

Does this mean you will be audited?

I guess this is an "Audit". But I am quite open to their idea of Audit.
As all expenses are documented.

Could I ask what vicinity the previous years returns are? Was there a significant jump to this year? My returns are in the mid 20s and payment has always been prompt.

Could I ask what vicinity the previous years returns are? Was there a significant jump to this year? My returns are in the mid 20s and payment has always been prompt.

Sure twobobs,

Last years returns were 27k.
And between last year's and this year's returns I have 3 additional IPs.
So it has been proportional to the growth.
No significant unattributed spike, in my opinion.

Wifey and I spent a good 60-70 hours this year in June/July/Aug over many weekends on our Income/Expenses spreadsheets, number crunching.
Almost every weekend was spent working through the tax deductible expenses. All the paper-work builtup over the year would be laid out on the study table and reconciled with our spreadsheet entry. With 12 properties under the belt we have by now devised a straight through process set in place to deal with the several Income/Expenses items so as not to miss any detail, however small.

Also we have bucketted the Tax deductions in terms of what is Claimable, and if claimable, whether it is:
a. claimable in the year of occurance (like council rates, maintenance exp)
b. over 5 years or (like LMI)
c. over a Period of years (like Depreciation)
d. At the time of Sale (like Capital Costs - such as Stamp Duty)

Having done all the hard-work we lodged our returns on E-Tax on the 20-Aug.
We were excited to see the ATO returns that we were entitled to receive. It came in at a sizeable a 38K Refund. Was happy. Uncork the Champagne!

After 5 weeks of waiting not having recieved my returns, I called in today to ATO to find out what was holding up. Apparently, they have "Processed" the returns but have not "Released" the payment into my bank account.

Apparently, since the returns were "so large" and unusual for a Personal Tax payer, they have decided to scrutinise the figures closely.

Okay Not a problem. I had expected this to come at some stage, but has come within our 5 year investing Journey.

Anyways I continued further and enquired about the next stages of this "scrutiny process". Apparently ATO don't have a "timeline" in which they need to complete the scrutiny.

OMG!!

A taxpayer has a timeline (sorry, deadline) for "When to Pay your tax" but the Tax-man has no such timeline as to "when to repay the over-paid Tax" back to the tax payer...

Some justice it is!

You're wondering why there's a hold-up?

You do realise the person auditing you has an after tax salary of $38k right?

You're wondering why there's a hold-up?

You do realise the person auditing you has an after tax salary of $38k right?

I'm sorry but when you say stuff like this, it is hard to take it seriously. The person auditing it most certainly is not on anything like $38K, not that his/her salary has anything to do with it.

I'm afraid Deltaberry is right since he said 'after-tax' income. I know people who work in ATO audit and they don't do anything

I'm afraid Deltaberry is right since he said 'after-tax' income. I know people who work in ATO audit and they don't do anything
Yes they do.
They play Golf, my acountant said when they come to town to do the audits they spend half an hour looking at the books then go and play golf for the rest of the day. I dont know what after tax income has got to do with the price of fish as you can make it any thing you want with a little planning.

I'm sorry but when you say stuff like this, it is hard to take it seriously. The person auditing it most certainly is not on anything like $38K, not that his/her salary has anything to do with it.

I'm not exactly sure what he/she is on. But my guess is it wouldn't be far from it - so I'm sure it is "something like that".

If the person auditing you is not making a great deal and struggling to get by, he's not going to be very happy when some people take home say $100k net income and then come and claim another $38k in tax refunds. He might just be extra careful in auditing your accounts, before dropping off to that round of golf as the other posters mentioned.

I'm not exactly sure what he/she is on. But my guess is it wouldn't be far from it - so I'm sure it is "something like that".

If the person auditing you is not making a great deal and struggling to get by, he's not going to be very happy when some people take home say $100k net income and then come and claim another $38k in tax refunds. He might just be extra careful in auditing your accounts, before dropping off to that round of golf as the other posters mentioned.

Of course... I'm sure you are right and if he was earning, lets say $60K after tax, his whole attitude would be different and if had an IP of his own, he'd slip you straight through without any questions :rolleyes:

Yes, I actually do think that might be the case - of course not to the extent of "slipping you through" but I understand you're trying to be cheeky and are using hyperbole to discredit my point.

While it might not occur to you that there's a lot of tall poppy syndrome and bitterness about pay in public service (without knowing what your background is), there is in fact a lot of angry people in public service.

Of course... I'm sure you are right and if he was earning, lets say $60K after tax, his whole attitude would be different and if had an IP of his own, he'd slip you straight through without any questions :rolleyes:

well the whole "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" does come to mind....

Just saying....

Back