Now all of you who said prices would never come down #2

James - sounds like you're on to a winner

Just make sure the mine is not contaminating your water supply or something damaging like that.

It would be useful to know what they are mining and what the particular commodity forecast looks like (medium term)

Minx - I have to agree.

KR & Co. are dreaming if they believe that their doubling of the first home owners grant is going to help first home buyers.

If anything, the grant increase will just be built into the selling price of homes that are in the FHB bracket.

If KR & Co had any sense, they would let the market do its work - it is not as if property prices are grossly undervalued. The stimulus that is required is on the supply side.

I have made a tongue in cheek comment on this on my continuing thread in "property market economics".

Why not invest in long term infrastructure which will create employment (through building and use) and stimulate the economy in a way that will be of lasting benefit to all Australians - why do our govts continue to prop up short-term consumer gluttony?

Food prices are high because there are fears about world food shortages. What is the smartest thing we can do? Well we have an abundance of sunlight and good soil. We don't have water..!!! (well - we don't manage our water well enough).

Do you think we will see the day when an Australian govt stops and thinks "If we secure our water future, we secure our economic future" ???

Stomwater harvesting, improved dams, mandatory rainwater tanks, grey water recycling, piping water from QLD and NT through to the Murray River...

Australia could be a food basket for the world - leaders in agriculture (so we don't simply rely on a minerals boom), energy - instead we are becoming overweight, under-skilled, maxxed-out consumers - MINI AMERICANS!!!!

We look down on the Americans as pampered, obese, poorly skilled (they have no competitive manufacturing any more), locust-like, "supersize me" consumers - are we so different?

Our government is not pursuing policies that are in any ones long term interest (well perhaps Asia - they can pick us up at a bargain price one day when crash like the Americans just have)

James - sounds like you're on to a winner

Just make sure the mine is not contaminating your water supply or something damaging like that.

It would be useful to know what they are mining and what the particular commodity forecast looks like (medium term)

its a clean coking coal mine open cut and its 3kms from town also the towns water is all tank water which comes from herveybay/maryboroughs lenthall dam etc my house is in toogoom so I doubt it will affect any water supply etc as it's roughly 15k away.

Why not invest in long term infrastructure which will create employment (through building and use) and stimulate the economy in a way that will be of lasting benefit to all Australians - why do our govts continue to prop up short-term consumer gluttony?

I agree it is a bit disappointing when they keep doing this. I guess their reasoning this time is they want to stimulate demand in the economy NOW, not in a couple of years. Early action having much more impact that "too little too late" and all that. Unfortunately the reality is that any fast tracked infrastructure projects would be at least two years away to deal with all the inevitable opponents / NIMBYs and planning/environmental approval requirements.

its a clean coking coal mine open cut

What's a "clean coking coal mine"? I've heard of clean coal power stations, which are just a hypothetical but not the mines as well.

Whenever I've checked coal was always pretty dirty... :p

I agree it is a bit disappointing when they keep doing this. I guess their reasoning this time is they want to stimulate demand in the economy NOW, not in a couple of years. Early action having much more impact that "too little too late" and all that. Unfortunately the reality is that any fast tracked infrastructure projects would be at least two years away to deal with all the inevitable opponents / NIMBYs and planning/environmental approval requirements.

What's a "clean coking coal mine"? I've heard of clean coal power stations, which are just a hypothetical but not the mines as well.

Whenever I've checked coal was always pretty dirty... :p

they clean it with a toothbrush lol beats me but that how NE is explaining it it's a high grade type of coal not the usual black stuff yes correct the coal used for them clean powerstations is my guestimate not to worried about all the nitty gritty stuff just thought I would mention not everywhere went down open cut mine = jobs= more people which need accomdation as for the shares I have a minute few with TCM thats about it bought in cheap so had to have em:p

Having lived through two major downturns, it is really quite simple.

Don't sell unless you absolutely have to.

That's it.

Everyone simply has to sit tight, batten down the hatches and ride out the storm. Major worry for everyone should be job losses, that's when it really gets ugly for people.
Marg

This has got to be one of the best thing I have read on this forum in the last few weeks .

Thanks Marg

The way I see it:

(a) if it goes down, I will buy to hedge and offset any SHORT TERM losses.

(b) if it goes up, well it's happy days again.

The only issue is holding onto the property, never been any different.

Minx - I have to agree.

KR & Co. are dreaming if they believe that their doubling of the first home owners grant is going to help first home buyers.

If anything, the grant increase will just be built into the selling price of homes that are in the FHB bracket.

If KR & Co had any sense, they would let the market do its work - it is not as if property prices are grossly undervalued. The stimulus that is required is on the supply side.

I have made a tongue in cheek comment on this on my continuing thread in "property market economics".

Food prices are high because there are fears about world food shortages. What is the smartest thing we can do? Well we have an abundance of sunlight and good soil. We don't have water..!!! (well - we don't manage our water well enough).

Do you think we will see the day when an Australian govt stops and thinks "If we secure our water future, we secure our economic future" ???

Stomwater harvesting, improved dams, mandatory rainwater tanks, grey water recycling, piping water from QLD and NT through to the Murray River...

Australia could be a food basket for the world - leaders in agriculture (so we don't simply rely on a minerals boom), energy - instead we are becoming overweight, under-skilled, maxxed-out consumers - MINI AMERICANS!!!!

We look down on the Americans as pampered, obese, poorly skilled (they have no competitive manufacturing any more), locust-like, "supersize me" consumers - are we so different?

Our government is not pursuing policies that are in any ones long term interest (well perhaps Asia - they can pick us up at a bargain price one day when crash like the Americans just have)

I STRONGLY agree about securing the water and about the long term infrastructure investment.

Back