Now all of you who said prices would never come down...

Dec 07 = $480,000

Feb 2008 = $469,000

But they never go down do they?
Hi greedy saffa
I agree with you that the property market works in cycles and will go down at times.

Can you provide a quote from someone/ anyone who said that "Prices will never come down."

The first quarter each year usually sees a drop in prices so we will need to see the next quarter to see the big picture and an overall trend. I for one am hoping the prices are dropping as that means that the pressure will come off interest rates and they will hopefully begin to come down.

Plenty of times people on here have said prices may flatten for long periods, even fall, so not really sure what you have been reading.

problem solved

no more affordability crisis... we can all sit back and relax..

i think individual stats are useless.... patterns are all that count.

Try finding me a similar stat showing a fall in the past 5? 10? 15? 20 years?

hell lets see (especially in melb) if that pattern replicates even next year?

its like these news reporters for the stock market that "must" say something every day... my favourite line is; "stock market dropped today what can we take away from that? is it now a bear market"

i feel like replying yes until tommorow when it jumps up again and its bull ... truth is you need to wait for a pattern one stat is useless...

anyways... cheers enjoy the rest of your sunday.

I believe all I've ever read is that prices always go up over time, with prices doubling generally every ten years. This means on average a rise of 10% compounded every year. But what about Brisbane where prices rose 20% last year, using the average of 10% per year this would indicate that the Brisbane market would slow, even possibly draw -ve prices somewhere over the next few years. Or maybe because Brisbane is only part of the overall housing market they will continue to have strong growth (not 20%) while other cities like Sydney will experience little or negative growth with property Australia wide still managing an average growth of 10%.

Keep in mind that the doubling effect is likely not to occur if you buy at the peak. There are people who bought in Sydney three or four years ago who if they sold today would lose money. They may need to wait twenty years to see their investment double in value.

This does not mean that the general law of growth is wrong, it is simply that if you want average returns over time then you would need to pay an average price rather than buy during a housing peak. Like shares you buy low and sell high to get the highest capital growth (or you hold and draw on equity to compound your returns).

I have never read on this forum or anywhere else that housing prices only ever go up, it has always been over time, on average housing doubles every ten years. This is supported by previous housing cycles. If it takes twelve years this time and eight years the next time we are still talking averages.

Shares generally claim the same averages, and they can be a hell of a lot more volitile than housing. Personally I don't see how this average is acheived when the lender can force an investor to sell at the worst possible time by making a margin call, but people accept that stock prices rise and fall but increase in value over time.

Regards

Andrew

I don't think that you understand statistics. Don't use Melbourne's price movement for one period to try and win an argument. What was the overall Australian movement in prices during that period? How much have house prices moved in the last year? What are the predictions for the next year based on interest rates, immigration, increased wealth, natural increase etc?

I believe all I've ever read is that prices always go up over time, with prices doubling generally every ten years. This means on average a rise of 10% compounded every year.

Andrew

andrew, for property to double in ten years the COMPOUNDING rate would be 7.2% year on year,

i.e. One (1+n )^10 = Two(i.e. doubling) is given by n = (2/1)^1/10 -1;

Gives n = 7.2% or 0.072 fraction

if we have 10% compounding on average year on year it would be

1 ( 1+0.1)^10 = 2.6; or 260% closer to tripling than doubling

IS IT THE MAGIC OF COMPOUND INTEREST THAT DOES IT?

andrew, for property to double in ten years the COMPOUNDING rate would be 7.2% year on year,

i.e. One (1+n )^10 = Two(i.e. doubling) is given by n = (2/1)^1/10 -1;

Gives n = 7.2% or 0.072 fraction

if we have 10% compounding on average year on year it would be

1 ( 1+0.1)^10 = 2.6; or 260% closer to tripling than doubling

IS IT THE MAGIC OF COMPOUND INTEREST THAT DOES IT?
I didn't fully understand how you worked it out but this is correct:)

Melbourne median house prices:

Dec 07 = $480,000

Feb 2008 = $469,000

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/median-house-price-down-11000/2008/03/29/1206207499082.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

I think this is very premature. Median sales data by month is notoriously rubbish so you need many months of data, if not years of data to form any conclusions about direction.

If in 3 years time median prices have shot up again compared to today I will eat my hat - but it will take that long to form any real conclusions.

Melbourne property market is like the share market if you bought BHP 5 years ago you would have mad heaps and if you bought ABC Learning you would have a big loss
So if you bought in Malvern you would be pretty happy and if you bought in some of the outer suburbs you would be disapointed
So if there were more outer suberb properties sold during this period wouldnt the average home price in melbourne drop due to higher interest rates

Just look at the suburbs that have had great growth rates in the last 30 years and in invest in those and you will always be ahead

Dec 07 = $480,000

Feb 2008 = $469,000

Sounds like a bargin! :D

I asked a few REAs the other day to sell me a median house but they didn't have any! :eek:

Anyone know where I can get one? I see them in the paper all the time so some one must know... :confused:

Great work greedy saffa

Originally Posted by greedy saffa

Dec 07 = $480,000

Feb 2008 = $469,000

Wow, Greedy Saffa, you have proved us all wrong. May I suggest that you write a Jenman style of book on your findings, marketed properly you'll make a killing!!

these stats are just something for media to write about in we are only just starting easter in our area as is a tourist destinations prices go up in holiday periods, and stay flat or may even show a downturn as average house sales would be lower for off peak also in july usually shows rise in values as people get tax back etc overall I doubt our place will drop any decent amount unless recession hits but that'll suck for everyone wont it?

Back