NRAS experts?

There seems to be a lot of talk lately about NRAS and the flaws in its details that allow some developers, predominantly inner city, to market them as student accommodation for international students.
There has been articles suggesting that once the scheme reaches it's target of 50,000 new dwellings it will be scrapped, if not sooner.
What I would like to know is if investors who bought property under the scheme would still receive the NRAS incentive for the remainder of the 10 year term of the scheme, or would it simply stop and they would be left with a property they might not have otherwise purchased if it had not have been for the incentives?

I heard about this too, issue was with the international students are on a low income and KRUDD & JULIA & Co did not outline eligibity as a tenant for being a citizen or a permanent resident !

thats labour ...

There seems to be a lot of talk lately about NRAS and the flaws in its details that allow some developers, predominantly inner city, to market them as student accommodation for international students.
There has been articles suggesting that once the scheme reaches it's target of 50,000 new dwellings it will be scrapped, if not sooner.
What I would like to know is if investors who bought property under the scheme would still receive the NRAS incentive for the remainder of the 10 year term of the scheme, or would it simply stop and they would be left with a property they might not have otherwise purchased if it had not have been for the incentives?

NRAS is about offering affordable accomodation to people, students as such have little income and need affordable housing. NRAS is perfect for them. Should international students be eligible? Not our call - the scheme sets the eligibility.

When the scheme reaches it's target it will have no need to grant NRAS allocations for more dwellings. This does not mean that the scheme is stopped, just that they won't need more dwellings in the scheme. It should run for it's full term of 10 years from allocation/completion of dwelling.

People shouldn't buy into NRAS for the scheme, they should buy into it for sound basic reasons with NRAS being the cream on top.

If the Scheme is scrapped I think it would be a shame as I think it's a great idea. If it's scrapped will people still get their money? Who knows - nothing has been decided so how can one predict how the govt will decide - and if they do decide if they will backflip once people complain.

As an owner of a dozen NRAS properties that are purpose built for student accommodation, I don't understand how this is a problem :confused:

The students like anyone else who applies to reside in an NRAS rental, need to prove their income to ensure eligibility.

Many students work part time but that would not be enough to breach the maximum income threshold and are technically still considered 'low income' earners. So I don't get what the problem is or how that is in any way exploiting the NRAS scheme???? There is no special treatment, they're either eligible or they're not.

No different to a non-student in my opinion!

Nice "journalism" by the Australian.

Firstly - some facts. There are 38,500 NRAS allocations currently approved for dwellings across Australia, not 25,000 as the article suggests. Of the 38,500 NRAS approved dwellings, almost 19,000 have already been delivered, and just 4,000 of those are studio's. In fact, of the 38,500 approved dwellings, approximately 6,000 in total will be studio apartments! And, just to further debunk the validity and accuracy of the article, approximately 1500 of the tenants in those studio apartments are students. Hardly a stampede.

But never mind- we can just ignore the fact that the studios represent 15% of all NRAS, and the majority (85%) of NRAS approved dwellings are 2,3 and 4 bed accommodation, delivering affordable accommodation in regional towns and metropolitan suburbs to families and key and essential workers. Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good old Rudd and Gillard bash- a- thon though, right?

But if you were of a reasonable and fair minded disposition, and preferred to deal with facts rather than fiction before jumping to conclusions, you might conclude that after reviewing the facts as outlined above, the article is heavily biased. You might also reasonably conclude that it's quite deliberately designed to imply that NRAS is almost solely a University Student/Studio Accommodation program, being manipulated and rorted by developers, and used to subsidise foreign students. Not just student- but foreign students in particular.... because we all understand how polarising the word "foreign" can be these days. This article plays very nicely to that xenophobic type of fearmongering, ever so subtle though it may be.

Of course, lets also ignore that the article makes ZERO mention of the fact that someone had to purchase the property in order to make it available to a tenant (whether a student or otherwise) and while it's irrelevant whether the purchaser was local, interstate or overseas- what is relevant is the fact they remain an investor who provided work for a solicitor, an agent, a broker, a bank etc etc. But never mind those unimportant little facts....they arent really relevant are they? Course not.

And never mind the students themselves, or the fact they provide business to stores where they buy furniture and electrical appliances to place in the dwelling, nor the shopkeepers and restaurants who sell goods and services to the tenants of the dwellings, etc etc etc.

And let's also ignore the single biggest flow on effect of all- because the article conveniently makes ZERO mention of exactly how significant the education export industry is to Australia's GDP. Don't forget, foreign students pay full freight to come here and study, they are entitled to no welfare or austudy support, no medicare, and in fact they must have private insurance and sufficient funds for survival. In other words- they generate HUGE money for the economy.

But never mind any of that - let's not let the facts get in the way of a good piece of rubbish journalism, shall we?

And just one other small correction to the article - the investor receives the tax credit, not the tenant.

Seriously, if the article wasn't pretending to be so serious, you'd have thought it was a gee up. It's just so very very misleading. I'm astounded the journalist in question isnt dying of shame. They're obviously not much good at checking the most basic of facts.

It's a bit hard to comment on the what's been written, as the article has not been cited. I assume from later comments that it's in the Australian, which would make it even harder to cite as it's behind a firewall. At least Fairfax allows so many free articles to be read in a month.

It doesn't appear to have been picked up widely. However there are reports that the government will no longer allow NRAS tenants to be "rich" foreign students.

Sorry, I should have cited the specific article but yes, it was in the Australian and yes it did seem particularly biased against Labour and 'their' scheme but that's to be expected from the Australian.
Back to my initial question though, is there any possibility that investors who have property under the scheme could have the incentive cut if the current government decide to scrap the scheme?

A quick google news search of NRAS brings up multiple articles although most of them appear to be from the Australian and none of them contain any details on the likely effects if the scheme is scrapped.

I don't think any of us can predict what a particular Govt may or may not do, but it's generally accepted that if a piece of legislation is amended, there are grandfather clauses applied - especially where taxation issues are at stake, so in the event that Round 5 NRAS ( which represents the final @ 10,000 allocations) does not proceed, the existing Round 1,2,3 and 4 allocations, which total @ 38,500 - would be unaffected.

It's very very unusual for legislative changes to be applied retrospectively. i.e backdated

Separately - if anyone has any completed/ very nearly completed stock in Sydney that they'd like NRAS incentives for- please PM me.

Back