NRAS Properties Over Priced

Had a bank valuation on NRAS property came back yesterday 75K under sale price (225K val on 299K sale in Ipswich QLD - 2 br duplex) on a property have been trying to buy for the last 3 months. Thats 25% out.

Broker and I fell off our respective chairs in shock. Was expecting some variation but not that much so yes something going on with over pricing going on and poor market conditions. Developer has not come back yet to explain this difference.

Thankfully have a subject to finance clause that will be exercising and will go look elsewhere - at least my finance was approved - it was just conditional on the valutaion of the property.

Shame though as a lot of time/effort went into it and missed out on QLD builder bonus but better to walk away than be in $ mess.

With regard to NRAS, still think they are viable but for now will probably just purchase normal properties elsewhere or one outside QLD at a later time

This is very common in Qld at the moment, and its happening to all stock, not just NRAS stock. It's happening to existing stock, where people try to refinance and find that the value of their property is no longer what they thought. It's happening to new developments that are not NRAS. Its happening to NRAS approved stock. It varies from region to region, but South east Qld is consistently valuing poorly. The Gold Coast in particular. Inner city Brisbane also. But other regions such as Townsville are valuing much better. Let's be careful to understand the Qld property environment at the moment and how valuers are treating it. This is not an NRAS issue. It's a SEQld issue.

NRAS approved stock in SA and regional VIC ( areas like Ballarat, Bendigo) are valuing well. Apartments in metro Melbourne- not so well. NRAS is no different to any other stock. In some locations, prices being asked for in new developments are in line with comparable sales so valuers are supporting asking prices. In other locations, stock is being delivered into a market where comparables show declining prices, and valuers are not supporting asking prices. Once again- its nothing to do with NRAS. Its about the location and the valuers views of asking prices in those locations, based on comparable sales.

This is very common in Qld at the moment, and its happening to all stock, not just NRAS stock. This is not an NRAS issue. It's a SEQld issue.

NRAS approved stock in SA and regional VIC ( areas like Ballarat, Bendigo) are valuing well. Apartments in metro Melbourne- not so well. NRAS is no different to any other stock. In some locations, prices being asked for in new developments are in line with comparable sales so valuers are supporting asking prices. In other locations, stock is being delivered into a market where comparables show declining prices, and valuers are not supporting asking prices. Once again- its nothing to do with NRAS. Its about the location and the valuers views of asking prices in those locations, based on comparable sales.

I agree Euro73 - its not a NRAS issue and was seeming more SE qld specific - so fool me for looking there. Its just my requirements were strict in that wanted it to be built and complete so that valuation could be more accurate + take advantage of builder bonus. In the end SE qld was where I ended up for stock but as said this lcoation was just not performing well at time.

Will be looking in regional Vic for NRAS next as you've indicated here - numbers stack up better there performance and valuation wise.

Happily though (and unrelated) but I had an offer accepted on a house in the Hunter Valley today instead so going down that path instead for now - good growth and cash positive.

Hunter area is performing really well the past 12 months. Valuations are solid for the most part. There's been a small amount of growth too.

Good long term investment area. if the NSW Government ever opens up more mining opportunities in the region, it could go boom!

yes...................but

if that were the case ALL or close to ALL new stock would becoming in 10 to 20 % low....................and its not.

Perhaps its more a marketer issue.

ta
rolf

You're correct rolf- but to be fair, not all NRAS stock in SEQ is coming in low either. The valuation shortfalls people are experiencing can vary pretty wildly between different developments and can even vary wildly within the same development, between valuers.

Im only saying that by and large SEQ is seeing inconsistency with valuations across new and used stock, NRAS and non NRAS, which is not occurring to the same degree in other areas of Australia, and that comments about all NRAS approved properties being overpriced simply because they are eligible for the NRAS, are misguided and inaccurate.

Absolutely agree that one of the biggest contributors to valuation inconsistencies is the perception valuers have formed around property sold by marketers, because of the commission they receive. (and its no coincidence that commissions paid to marketers for Qld property is usually quite a bit more than occurs in other states) , but a lack of comparable sales to support the contract price is the bigger issue. SEQ has seen declines in prices and valuers are using those comparable sales to base their opinions on. There are plenty of non new, well established SEQ properties being refinanced that have no marketer involvement but still suffer valuation shortfalls well below the owners estimated value, and sometimes below the purchase price of several years ago.

Property prices can fall, and do fall sometimes- they have fallen in SEQ and that affects valuations across all stock categories.

As usual Euro73 makes a lot of sense.

There is a lot of ill informed comment about NRAS based on general mistrust of anything the government is involved in. I'd recommend don't be put off by these people - do your own research. I ran an NRAS seminar in Sydney this week and one of the attendees who is a property investor and Chartered Accountant wrote to me afterwards saying "I keep looking at NRAS to work out the downsides and always fail to see any". And I know he has put a lot of research time into looking at NRAS.

RE: valuations: we are getting a range of valuations. Some at contract price and some low to very low for both NRAS and non-NRAS property. The main issue is for people refinancing there existing property where they can't release equity because of a low val.

For new purchases (whether NRAS or non-NRAS), where there is a low val, it's a case of the buyer either accepting that val is low across the market and continuing with the sale if they think the purchase is an acceptable price, or exiting the purchase and finding something which will come up to valuation.

RE: NRAS Incentive: You need to look at an NRAS property as being just a normal investment property purchase. First you choose if you are a buy-and-hold investor and whether you like new property. Then you choose the type and location of the property based upon whether you think it has good future capital growth potential. THEN the NRAS incentive which we estimate is currently worth $119,833 tax free over the next 10 years is a bonus.

BUT consider this: We are in a market where there is some uncertainty about when property growth will kick in and NRAS offers a lower risk strategy in these circumstances. Most investment properties are negatively cashflowed so having the patience and funds to keep paying for your investment property that isn't growing in value can be beyond some people. The NRAS incentive makes almost all properties cashflow positive so holding out for the next capital growth jump wont be a drain on your financial position.

RE: Removal of Incentive - It's not going to happen. The government generally makes cuts which will impact future investment decisions not past ones. In relation to NRAS, in a cut back scenario, they may reduce future allocations to save money but not cut those allocations they have already committed to people. At this stage 35,000 of the 50,000 NRAS incentives have been set aside and 8,000 NRAS properties are now tenanted. It would make more financial and political sense to not allocate more incentives then cut the people already receiving them. I'd say its more a case of getting in while the goings good.

And remember NRAS is supported by Labor, Coalition and Greens which is a rare thing.

Regards
Paul

I think the jury is still out, with NRAS property.

I say this because the scheme is new, and the real value of it becomes apparent in the later years of it's ten-year 'life'. Seeing as we are early in, the benefits won't be appreciated, as yet.

I do like the idea that it was a finite volume of properties that were NRAS, which makes them a bit more scarce. Could this scarcity potential affect their value (positively, or negatively, for that matter)?

Hi Operative_me,
Yes I think the resale or secondary market potential of NRAS property while it's still receiving the NRAS Incentive is an interesting question.

We haven't had any experience yet of people on-selling NRAS properties that I'm aware of. It will be interesting to see if future buyers are willing to pay a premium for a property with say 5 years NRAS Incentives remaining.

Of course after 10 years it's irrelevant because the property is just a regular residential dwelling with no incentive. I can't see why NRAS would have any impact in reducing the future resale value (more than any other rental property).

I recently asked a developer who has various types of new properties including NRAS in the estate he developed what he thought of the condition the dwellings were kept in. His response that the look of the properties we in the following order:
1. Second home buyers
2. NRAS tenanted houses
3. Non-NRAS tenanted houses
4. First home owners

Why? Here is some relevant observations. First home owners are often short of cash and so many houses don't have landscaping, proper window covers etc. NRAS properties are full turnkey with curtains and landscaping and the tenants know they are on a good deal (20% discounted rent on a new property) and don't want to do anything which will mean they lose that deal.

Surely this will also impact future resale potential.

Regards
Paul

some of those NRAS properties are no-where near the value.

i took a walk though of one site on the northside of Brisbane and was amazed at how bad the quality was. it's fair enough you'll get the government rebate but if half the house has fallen apart in the meantime it won't help

Hunter area is performing really well the past 12 months. Valuations are solid for the most part. There's been a small amount of growth too.

Not quite the topic of the thread but my bank valuation for hunter valley property matched sale price exactly - so very happy now and can now finally move on to settling!

Will still look to get an NRAS property at some point but next time will pay much more attention to the valuation/location factor

Not quite the topic of the thread but my bank valuation for hunter valley property matched sale price exactly - so very happy now and can now finally move on to settling!

Will still look to get an NRAS property at some point but next time will pay much more attention to the valuation/location factor

Yep- good to see. As I've said all along... just stay away from SEQ ( there are some exceptions- but Im trying to keep it simple for people) and look instead to other places where NRAS incentives are available on properties. Right at the moment, there is a good deal of SA NRAS approved property starting to become available, which appears to be for the most part- pretty well located and priced.

dont think gov in general would think that far ahead

ta
rolf

Have to agree- removing Neg gearing, whilst in many peoples minds would go along way towards taking speculation out of real estate and therefore making housing far more affordable for those who struggle to get into the market - would be a political catastrophe.

There are FAR too many people who would be adversely affected by it for any Govt to ever take it on. Even if they did, it would be on new purchases, from a prescribed date. There would never be a backdating. There's just no other way it could be introduced without it being suicidal politically. It would require s VERY strong political will to even entertain it as a future mesaure, and we all know we just dont have those kinds of people in our parliament.

The market is doing all that's required to take growth out of property at the moment anyway. Govt doesnt need to step in at all. Growth requires more than spruiking of the supply v demand argument. It requires an appetite for debt and risk ( Tony Abbott's seen that off with his fearmongering- we all believe we live in Greece) but most importantly it requires the availability of credit, and that's why we're not seeing growth.

Debates about supply, demand, gearing and the like are all sideshows, used for the last 2 decades very effectively by people who stood to make alot of money. The real story behind growth though has always been investors appetite for debt combined with lenders availability/willingness to offer credit to ever increasing LVR's. After all, if you cant get the money- nothing else is relevant! Both those things grew aggressively during the last 2 decades and both are now tapped out.

We're in for a prolonged period of nothingness/ deleveraging even if you dont believe it or havent realised it yet We're going to see constrained appetite for new debt from most investors either because of santiment/fear, limited equity/an inability to access new money, or just a basic realisation that paying a property a dividend for years in the hope of realising a gain, isnt a "forever" strategy. And we are definitely already seeing no capacity for lenders to offer credit at ever increasing LVR's. Valuations have been reflecting this for 2 years. Lending data has been reflecting it for 2 years.

This is where NRAS is so good. Not only can you accumulate property that will effectively give you all the usual losses, depreciation and associated tax benefits any investment property would, but it will also mean no holding costs, and will generate surplus yields that can be redeployed to aggressively paying down your non deductible debt. In other words, it will create a huge amount of "free" equity you would otherwise never have achieved as rapidly, whilst allowing you to hold a property through this protracted flat cycle- all at no cost to you other than the initial deposit and costs associated with getting started.

I just dont understand why people are continuing to focus on side show arguments when the main game is so obviously powerful. Put another way- even if an NRAS purchase made you $0 growth over the decade you have it in the scheme, the surplus cash it generates every year, if redeployed towards your mortgage, will generate hundreds of thousands in saved interest repayments.

Log on to any online "extra repayment" calculator, type in your mortgage, whether it is 200,300,400 or500K - and see what you save when you pay an extra $400-500 a month onto it. ( I'm saying $400-500 because most sub 400K NRAS properties will generate at least 5-6K positive working on an interest rate of 6%- 6.5%)

That's the ball game. Without any consideration of capital growth- the figures you will see in front of you are what you will save in interest repayments. Those savings represent tax free profit you have made- because your principle home is CGT exempt! The figures are what extra equity you will have established, growth free. The figures are what reduced loan amount you will have owing your bank, without YOU having to earn more or put in more of YOUR money. Now compare that outcome with the "chance" of bettering that by a negative /cap growth strategy, in this decades financial environment. Consider how much you'd have to contribute out of pocket each year. Consider how much CGT tax you would need to pay. Deduct those figures from your theoretical profit. Then think about the 2-3K you had to contribute each year, and what it would have saved you in interest if you hadnt needed to fork it out annually, but could have redirected it to your O/O debt instead. What might that have saved you in interest? Then see whether you can match the tax free net outcome NRAS has delivered for you.

Here's a very simple example.400K property - rents for $420 per week.

400K deductible debt @ 6.5% I/O = $26,000 repayments
Management/Rates/insurance etc = $5000
Total Costs to own the property = $31,000
Rental Income = $21,840
Loss = $9,160 ( Holding Costs)
Depreciation = $10,000
Total Deduction/Loss = $19,160
@ Marginal tax rate 38.5% = $7,376.60

Tax Man gives you back $7,376.60, but the property cost you $9,160 to hold. Cash flow negative $1783.40. If this went on for 10 years, you've forked out $17,834 to own the property.

Same property with NRAS
400K deductible debt @ 6.5% I/O = $26,000 repayments
Management/Rates/insurance etc = $5000
Total Costs to own the property = $31,000
Rental Income (discounted by 20% )= $17,472
Loss = $13,528 ( Holding Costs)
Depreciation = $10,000
Total Deduction/Loss = $23,528
@ Marginal tax rate 38.5% = $9,058.28
NRAS Tax Incentives = $9981
Total return $19,039.28

Tax Man gives you back $19,039.28 but the property cost you $13,528 to hold. Cash flow POSITIVE $5511.28. If this went on for 10 years, you've made lump sum repayment of over 55K directly onto the principle balance of your mortgage, but maintained exactly the normal monthly repayments . You've also had $17,834 available to you which would otherwise have been holding costs associated with a Non NRAS purchase. So now you've made lump sum repayments totaling almost $73K onto your mortgage. That's $7300 per year.

Open up a calculator online and check for yourself, what effect $7300 a year of extra repayments will have ! ( You'll have to divide it by 12 and calciulate it as a monthly repayment instead of annual repayment- because none of the online calculators allow for extra ongoing annual repayments. So the effect of the extra repayments wont be as powerful as they would be if they were made as lump sums, annually)

then do the maths on how much cap growth a non NRAS property needs to make, after deducting holding costs and CGT, and see which strategy you think makes sense in this environment. Please note- I havent allowed for ANY cap growth on the NRAS property in this equation. Not because I dont think it will show any, but just to demonstrate that it doesnt need to, in order to create a huge amount of benefit to you over 10 years.
I also havent allowed for any increases to the NRAS incentives, which have grown at 4.6% since the scheme was introduced. In other words, these figures are very conservative and understated. If you dont want to do the calculations- I'll tell you the results. :)

On a 30 year, 300K mortgage at an average Principle and Interest rate of 6.5% over the next 10 years- making extra principle repayments of $608.33 ( 1/12th of $7300) would save you $197,464 in interest and 13 years/10 months in repayment time.

On a 400K mortgage @ 6.5%- you'd save $228,645 and 11 years/10 months

This is why Ive long made the point that a focus on location/growth just isnt as important as a traditional investment property mindset which has always pursued a strategy reliant singularly on growth. It's important to get one's head around the difference the cash flow makes, and the completely different property strategies it creates. Just as long as you stay out of SEQ so that you dont start out 50-70K behind from day 1, and focus on North Queensland, SA, WA or VIC where valuations are solid, the cash flow can transform your life in a decade, without any of the luck, risk or growth that more traditional strategies have always relied upon. If you have the equity to purchase two NRAS approved properties, the probable outcome is that you'll pay off your entire non deductible mortgage well inside a decade (or go very close to it), be unencumbered, and have two investment properties running themselves without any contribution being required from you. If the property /properties also happen to enjoy some luck and show some growth (and you've got 10 holding cost free years for it to happen) that's just another fantastic bonus on top of what I'm sure anyone might describe as an already very wonderful outcome. But ultimately, if that doesnt happen- you've still achieved significant wealth creation via the elimination or near elimination of your mortgage. That in turn creates a fantastic equity position from which you can launch an aggressive re-gearing/re-investment strategy in a decades time- which is likely to coincide with the next serious growth cycle ( I say that because only increased borrowing capacity and equity will create the platform for another surge- and that will only come from borrowers de-leveraging- which will take several years yet. banks arent going to start throwing 100-110LVR loans around- so it has to come via de-leveraging, which takes time)

If you dont have any non deductible debt, the surplus cash flow still offers you much. It can be used to assist with holding costs on other non NRAS properties you may hold. It can be redeployed to super or an SMSF, which can in turn gear into property which realises a CGT free benefit when sold after pension age,or it can just be used for lifestyle. However you choose to view it, 10K plus of tax free a year has the power to be transformational if deployed well.

Certainly when the minimum guaranteed financial outcomes such as those outlined above are weighed against unguaranteed potential outcomes offered by a non NRAS strategy, it's hard to see why people continue to focus on the side show arguments.

Rant over :)

Last edited:
Very true, euro73. Many people look at the little things and fail to see that NRAS is a very conservative strategy well suited to our times.

Very true, euro73. Many people look at the little things and fail to see that NRAS is a very conservative strategy well suited to our times.

I actually think its quite aggressive- but extremely low risk. Aggressive in so far as attacking your non deductible debt. Low risk in so far as not requiring any contribution from the investor other than the initial deposit and 1st years holding costs.

The absolute bottom line is this- even if you get ZERO growth from the NRAS property- it has cost you nothing to hold and its saved you hundreds of thousands in interest and allowed you to purchase several other properties. There is just NO argument for capital growth that can match that outcome unless some miraculous 20% per year growth occurs for the next decade- and there's buckleys and none of that unless lenders offer 120LVR loans. Take the "estimated" or "potential" (not guaranteed) profit that the naysayers of NRAS are instead promoting. Consider the net outcome when the two strategies are compared. Look very seriously. Let's say a 400K property miraculously doubles in 10 years and makes you a 400K profit. Now deduct the CGT on 400K. There goes almost 100K . Now deduct 10 years of after tax, after neg gearing, holding costs. There goes another 30-40K. What are you actually left with in net wealth creation? maybe around 260K? Then ask yourself if that property can really actually achieve a 400K increase - because thats what it will take to earn 260K after tax.

Now compare that "possible, hopefully, maybe, but unlikely" outcome against just ONE NRAS purchase- even a cheap, 300K NRAS purchase. It will generate hundreds of thousands saved interest for you if the surplus funds are redeployed- we all understand the figures are indisputable. And that "free equity: is CGT free if you sell! But dont stop there. The surplus cashflow hasnt just saved you 15 years and hundreds of thousands in interest repayments. It's also enabled you to purchase several additional properties because you have loads of extra equity and much, much stronger borrowing capacity to take advantage of the extra equity. The equity and cash flow COMPOUND your opportunity to further invest!!

Would you rather focus on the sideshow arguments, pay your property a dividend for years, and gamble on "potential" growth, all the while hoping and hoping it returns you a profit, or would you rather employ a strategy that mathematically cannot fail to deliver exceptional wealth, equity and cash flow outcomes?

So yeah- the sideshow arguments are pretty much the wrong focus - completely. They really are preventing people from seeing the real investment opportunity. "It's the cash flow stupid"

Last edited:
Over Priced?
What if you don't get what you paid for?
What if you have 5 sets of plans and not a single variation?
What if your investment property does not meet the required building standards?
Is it still a good investment?

Hello..

I am sorry if this has already been a post but i haven't found anything...
I have been looking at a few properties with NRAS being well over priced compared to nearby similar non NRAS properties..

Just wondering if other people have discovered prices being jacked up because of NRAS on the property..

Thanks...

If you build with the NRAS model?
Is it overpriced if you don't get what you paid for?
Is it overpriced if you get 5 sets of plans and not a single variation?
Is it overpriced if your property does not meet the building standards?
Is it a good investiment?

If you build with the NRAS model?
Is it overpriced if you don't get what you paid for?
Is it overpriced if you get 5 sets of plans and not a single variation?
Is it overpriced if your property does not meet the building standards?
Is it a good investiment?

All valid questions RAR, and obviously the answer is NO- any property you purchase where you dont get what you pay for, or where building standards arent met, or where plans are changed ( I assume you are implying without your knowledge) is NOT a good deal or a pleasant experience, but I continue to ask you - what does that have to do with the National Rental Affordability Scheme?

The fact that the property was eligible for NRAS didnt cause your problem.
You are continuing to blame a piece of legislation and a tax scheme for the behaviour of your builder, instead of naming the builder and warning people not to deal with them. Your builder ripped you off and let you down, which is horrible, and you must be beyond angry and you have the sympathy of all readers on the forum, but the scheme isnt responsible.

People need to understand clearly that the National Rental Affordability Scheme is just a piece of legislation, not a brick or a roof tile or a part of the title deed. Just like Negative Gearing or depreciation or land tax, it does not form a physical part of a dwelling. A property being eligible for the NRAS is not what results in a builder delivering sub standard stock.

Are you suggesting that your builder wouldnt have behaved the same way if the property wasnt eligible to be entered into the NRAS?

Nras -

I have recently finished building an NRAS approved property in Bendigo. I purchased an off the plan build with 2 single story properties a 4 bed and a 3 bed both with 2 baths for a total price of $585k. Both were turnkey properties and are now fully rented. With the NRAS rebates I am yielding an 8% return. Doing your due diligence and finding the right property will ensure NRAS is successful. I personally would not invest in units close to major cities with NRAS however off the plan developments in emerging rural cities is high on my list.

Nice work Marley. Just consider switching to a low 2 or 3 year fixed rate of somewhere between 4.99% or 5.29% and you'll see even stronger returns - and they're all tax free, of course :)

I don’t think that it’s quite that simple Euro75

The Australian Government makes statements to potential investors and entices them to participate by offering financial rewards to be part of the NRAS. It also promises quality , design and location to ensure that they are quality investments.

The words that are used are “rigorous selection criteria” and “design” and “quality” “amenity” “location” etc. From these promises comes the concept of preapproved plans in the sales pitch.

The only problem is that no one actually checks that what is preapproved are in fact built. If it can be certified then it may be a NRAS. Hardly inline with the promise made by the Australian Government?

Both the Australian Government and at least some builders are aware of the limitations of the NRAS. Some builders in order to maximize profits build what they want knowing that the only requirement for qualification to the NRAS is certification.

The BSA and the Australian Government call these issues contractual issues. The Australian Government appears to me to be very aware of how investors can be treated by some builders.

However they refuse to do anything about the situation that they have created.
As far as I can tell continue to systematically process Mar and Par investors into a process that has the potential and may cause significant financial detriment.

I must add that although I don’t believe my situation is unique I am not so pessimistic as to believe all builders are like this.

Back