NSW Land Tax - Notice of Assessment

Just curious ... Has anyone in NSW actually received their notice of assessment yet for any IP they own ?

I have registered my IP's via the Office of State Revenue's website in January and however have not received my notice of assessment yet.

When I take a look at the websites FAQ this is their response ...

Q. When will I receive a notice of assessment?
You will be registered as an OSR client following the lodgement of your land tax registration form. OSR will issue you with a notice of assessment stating your land tax liability as soon as possible, but it may take several weeks due to the large volume of clients who will be required to register for 2005.

No, I have not received mine. I have registered last December by completing the form I downloaded from the internet and posted it to them, but to date have got nothing. My mother in law registered as well and she has received nothing either. I phoned the SRO but they could not tell me anything other than to wait ...

Hi Learning Man.

Yes, have received my assessment (and paid). There is/was a thread here somewhere with other forumites that have also received their assessment. Don't worry, you'll get yours.

Regards
Marty

LearningMan said:
Just curious ... Has anyone in NSW actually received their notice of assessment yet for any IP they own ?
You can have mine if you're feeling left out:) - I got it last week:eek:.

Got mine,

Fortuitously the apartment has a comparatively low land value so the bill was tiny, and one of our other properties is a regional high yielding/low capital value one where the land value was so low the bill was $0.00 - have included it in my budgets.

Cheers
gniks

Carr signals possible land tax changes

23/02/2005 12:17:46 PM

NSW Premier Bob Carr gave his strongest signal yet there would be changes to the unpopular land tax in this year's state budget.

Mr Carr admitted he had been approached by Labor MPs unhappy with the abolition last year of the $317,000 land tax free threshold.

He agreed the tax had become a liability for the government.

"Sure it is, but so are any other taxes the state government applies," he told reporters.

"Some more than others. Those that affect people most tend to be the subject of complaint and we listen to it very seriously."

Mr Carr refused to say what if any changes would be made to the tax in the budget.

"We're putting together our next budget and we're carefully weighing all the revenues and the spending options and we won't be saying anything about this until the budget comes down," he said.

© [2003] Australian Associated Press Pty Limited (AAP) or its Licensors.

Tax impositions and tax cuts are never retroactive. Any tax cut will take place at the end of the financial year for the sake of 'ease'. And the implementation costs for that one year of collections, if ever assessed and published, would probably make your eyes water.

Back