NSW land tax / rental property question

Hi

I have a property in NSW which I purchased in 2012 and started to rent out, with the intention to move in at some future date.

I have just realised that if I have this property as a rental property at 31-Dec-12, I will face a big land tax bill (equivalent to 7 weeks of rent :mad:).

So I am thinking of terminating the lease early and move into the property.

Questions:
1) Is my assessment of my land tax liability correct?
2) Am I able to end the lease early? It is a fixed term lease until May-2013. I am planning to do some medium renovation works before I move in.
3) Given my circumstances are quite flexible, do you think this would be the best outcome?

Last edited:

Questions:
2) Am I able to end the lease early? It is a fixed term lease until May-2013. I am planning to do some medium renovation works before I move in.
3) Given my circumstances are quite flexible, do you think this would be the best outcome?

Hi Serrz,

I don't know enough about Land Tax to comment and would be interested in the response as well. What I do know is Land Tax is the value of the land itself and not the house or contents. There is a threshold and you may come under this (and avoid paying Land Tax) if your land is not above that value. Some further reading here: http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/taxes/land/, http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/taxes/land/faqs/ and a training module: http://elearning.osr.nsw.gov.au/landtax/lt_introduction/player.html. Again, please take my comments with a grain of salt!

However, for Q2, I do not believe there are any provisions to end a fixed term lease early for a landlord, unless the tenant has violated the tenancy agreement. Essentially, if your tenant is paying your rent and living within the conditions specified, you have to wait it out. You can ask your tenant to end the lease early, but they are entirely within their right to refuse. The tenant however, can break the contract and depending on whether it was chosen or not, a break fee may be payable.

Hi

I have a property in NSW which I purchased in 2012 and started to rent out, with the intention to move in at some future date.

I have just realised that if I have this property as a rental property at 31-Dec-12, I will face a big land tax bill (equivalent to 7 weeks of rent :mad:).

Questions:

Land tax is levied on your second and subsequent properties whether they are rented or not.
Do you have more than one property?

If NSW and land tax is 1.6% of land value, plus $100 i think, then the figure would be $750,000 x 1.6% = $12,000.

If no threshold had been used then it would be more like
$750,000 - $396,000 = $354,000 assessable
$354,000 x 1.6% = $5664 +$100 = $5764

Considering you have a fixed term lease it could indeed cost you more than the land tax to end that lease. I say "could" cost more......

And my earlier question was to find out if you lived in a rental or had your own ppor plus this property in question. So to Scott, not wrong mate (now you have a mate!):)

To OP, you need to check out the exemption rules to see if you may qualify before making any decision.

Back