NSW - Smoke Alarms

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some clarification on smoke alarms for my tenants in NSW.

I had a licensed electrician install smoke alarms that meet Aust standards a few months ago. (However I have misplaced the receipt and his mobile number seems to be disconnected).

Wondering if there is anything I need to do regarding the smoke alarms?

Do I input a new battery when the tenants commence and do I need to perform regular checks and have the tenant sign a form that they agree that the smoke alarms are in good working condition or is there a more formal process that needs to be followed?

Thanks

Regards,
JBoz

Hi Jboz for future dockets etc I recommend you and all owners look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rYaWgLHBQM&app=desktop

will save a lot of headaches and filing in the future.

On each welcome letter to each new tenant I have this reminder written:

Every month : test to ensure they are working properly -the alarm will usually emit 2 short "beeps". If you hear intermittent beeps, replace the battery immediately.
Every six months : vacuum clean the alarms to remove dust.
Every twelve months : if the alarm uses removable alkaline batteries, replace yearly.

To answer your other question, owner is to ensure new batteries are installed for each new tenant and then it is the tenants responsibility to ensure batteries are changed and the unit works. If the unit is faulty during the tenancy the owner is responsibility for its repair/replacement. Each time we inspect the property we check the smoke detector ourselves.

Also ensure you have a unit installed on each level. (split level homes need one per split).

Hope this helps.:)

We have our NSW property managers issue batteries at the beginning of all new tenancies and the tenant signs off receipt of same.

The PM's also are aware to have an electrician check the detector if they are onsite for another reason.

Back