nz rates <6%

economy up the crapper, very weak dollar (used to follow the aud up and down, but not anymore), high unemployment, property prices dropping, low confidence, petrol and utilities thru the roof, $30bil rebuild costs for christchurch in a country of only 4mil people ...

there are reasons behind the rates drop - reasons i'd rather not have

from an investment POV, i'm pretty sure you can borrow NZ dollars to buy Aus property.

clarification from anyone?

They'll lend on a property secured in Aus?

If that's the case then you may end up owing more or less based on the exchange rate.

The economic theory is that "all will be equal". ie. if you have a win on the interest rates, you'll have a corresponding loss on the exchange rate.

If that's the case then you may end up owing more or less based on the exchange rate.

The economic theory is that "all will be equal". ie. if you have a win on the interest rates, you'll have a corresponding loss on the exchange rate.

Yeah and in theory communism is the best system of government.

If you were American and acted contrary to economic theory, you would've made SO much money.

I understand NZ has always been a bit of a "heel dragging" scenario compared to Aus. It's more sad now with earthquake bills.
How do people survive there in terms of RE? I mean everyone needs a place to live, right?
Would anyone be able to shed some light on what areas are easy to sell, yes sell, in terms of residential ppt, i.e. major cities where the offices are? Is there such area as blue chip area in NZL? :confused: Or is everyone renting nowadays over there?
I'm searching for CG in NZL, if such a thing is possible nowadays.

I thought I would check out the long term fixed rates, they aren't that crash hot. This is from the ANZ:

New Zealand ANZ
Fixed Term Rate
6 months 6.35% p.a.
1 year 5.95% p.a.
18 months 6.29% p.a.
2 years 6.49% p.a.
3 years 6.99% p.a.
4 years 7.45% p.a.
5 years 7.70% p.a.

Australian ANZ
Term Interest Rate Comparison Rate #
1 year 6.99% p.a. 7.77% p.a.