Oaklands Park - Westfields Marion to charge for carparking

So today it was approved that Westfields Marion (In Adelaide) is going to start charging to use their carpark. For non-radelaidians, Marion is our biggest shopping center. Can something like this can increase the value of an investment property around the area? I guess in particular being able to charge a higher rent rate. Don't know what the fees will be yet, but for example if staff will need to pay $10 per day in car-parking, would there be an influx of people wanting to move closer to the center so they can just walk there to avoid the fee?

So today it was approved that Westfields Marion (In Adelaide) is going to start charging to use their carpark. For non-radelaidians, Marion is our biggest shopping center. Can something like this can increase the value of an investment property around the area? I guess in particular being able to charge a higher rent rate. Don't know what the fees will be yet, but for example if staff will need to pay $10 per day in car-parking, would there be an influx of people wanting to move closer to the center so they can just walk there to avoid the fee?

Generally in those scenarios staff will get a free/discount pass.

It might keep some unsavoury people out of area though, which is always handy.

It's going to be something like 2 hours free parking right?

90%+ of people will generally be in and out within 2 hours - so most will not need to pay for parking.

I don't think it will make that much difference.

thats pretty standard in Sydney.. 2 or 3 hrs free parking and then parking charges after that. Its generally used to stop commuters from parking in the car park and not leaving any parking spaces for shoppers.
You may find you get more people parking in the streets around the shopping centre, or around the nearest transport hub.

I have heard that people have been avoiding Chermside where paid parking came in late last year. Business slowed, at least from the stories I heard from stores in the centre. It was introduced about October/November and I suppose it was hoped that people would still shop there in the lead up to Christmas.

It is coming to Carindale next month. Staff parking at Chermside is $3 per day but I've heard that the staff carpark fills up early (no doubt plenty of staff didn't use the staff carpark before). If you miss out and have to park elsewhere, that will cost $20 for the day, apparently.

I've also heard the streets around Chermside are full of cars, and getting out through boomgates is a nightmare, and people are not happy to have their streets full of cars all day. I imagine it will be similar to real estate around Greenslopes Private Hospital where the parking issue considerably decreases the values and/or cuts the number of people prepared to buy there.

As there is a bus hub at Carindale (and most big shopping centres) the centre is trying to stop people parking there and catching the bus to town. All they have to do to stop that is to use a system where you validate a purchase (say $20) for free parking. If you are parked at a shopping centre all day, you must be spending $20. It would still entail boom gates and ticket machines and will slow things down so much, as has happened at Chermside.

I believe it is a mistake but until leases run out, shops must stay open, but if people avoid the centre and little shops close, perhaps the centres will only then start to lose money, and realise the folly of charging people to shop.

First three hours is free, but when I took my kids to Carindale when they were little, once you have lunch and/or see a movie, or do things to suit each child, three hours flies by.

Carindale is at the intersection of two major roads, so the available parking in nearby streets is pretty scarce. I would be pretty upset if I lived close enough to walk, because I would guess house values will drop due to having a street chock full of cars all day, every day.

Interesting way to treat people that you want to come in and spend money in your shopping centre.

And they wonder why more people are shopping online.

i agree. there are movies, cafes, medical type businesses as well as shops at marion. would imagine many people would spend more than 2 hrs on some occasions.

we do not shop there but those who do might reconsider the venue for their spending opportunities. lots of other places to go, marion offers nothing unique.

it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Interesting way to treat people that you want to come in and spend money in your shopping centre.

And they wonder why more people are shopping online.

Indeed. All the shopping centres are the same these days, same shops, same clothes, same this, same that. And they want you to pay to spend money in their shops?

This is caused by the greed of the shopping centre because they don't care about their tenants (they churn them every 5 years anyway) and the local council as well who take a slice from the parking tickets/fees.

Frankston Bayside shopping centre has no period of free parking - 2 or 3 hours free, then charge, would be the obvious and sensible way to go.

Everyone I've spoken to avoids the place unless absolutely necessary to go there.

Greed, combined with utmost stupidity abounds in this world.

Back