Offering agent side commission

Ethics in the real estate world

Offered a big bribe to shaft the client,
accept bribe,
ethical question, "Should I tell my partner?"

The only agents who would collude with you as a buyer here would obviously be those who don't mind if they're banned and lose their licence.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/10/1049567807733.html

You also need to consider your own ethics and the vendors position.
Slightly different case that you quoted.

In the example the agent tried to interpose himself in the deal to get a 'bonus'. He actively sought the oppurtunity and manipulated the situation.

In the OP situation it would be the buyer instigating the bonus. If the agent did nothing different in dealing with the sale as in put forward the offers from the buyer, massaged the buyer as to the price to offer etc then that is not like the example given.

I don't condone either approach but the second is more probable and in fact a lot of agents act as if they are on the buyers side to manipulate the sale and actually achieve a sellers (RE agents) advantage.

The most ridiculous thing is when the buyer gives a present to the agent/agency. They have already paid them handsomely with a whopping sales commission but I guess that's human interactions at play.

Cheers

What about not offering a bonus to the agent but the offer to resell the property after a renovation. Double commission but no bonus

What about not offering a bonus to the agent but the offer to resell the property after a renovation. Double commission but no bonus
A smart move, no harm in telling that you will be taking the property back to market soon (they can fill in the blanks very easily) also the carrot of a property management can help, ever little bit to help the buyer!

A smart move, no harm in telling that you will be taking the property back to market soon (they can fill in the blanks very easily) also the carrot of a property management can help, ever little bit to help the buyer!

Great idea- would be a decent carrot, get them to give you some advice etc as to what the house would need from the selling point of view etc after you have bought it. Good way to build rapport.

Back