OH the socceroos

ere we go, ere we go, ere we go
ere we goo,. ere we goo, ere we gooooooooooooooooo
ere we go, ere we go, ere we go
ERE WE GO, ERE WE GO!!!!!!

This is going to make the trip to the UK all the more sweeter next year.

Like Les Murray,

This one is for you Johnny Warren

Could not have been more exciting if they had scripted it! :D

That missed penalty!!!! :eek:

Was in Leichardt ( Italian Quarter) In Sydney and the fans are going off! Street Party.

Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
Could not have been more exciting if they had scripted it! :D

That missed penalty!!!! :eek:

Was in Leichardt ( Italian Quarter) In Sydney and the fans are going off! Street Party.

Peter 147

Was in seat 37 , row 18 , isle 145 :D They were going off even more there :eek:

Never been at a Game of any code with a better atmosphere , and noise.... had to yell to talk to son sitting next to me and even then he could hear most of the time ( but that's nothing unusual ....).

The last team to beat Uruguay away from home in their cup qualification was Argentina ....

See Change

21Socceroos.JPG

What a night....................

Haven't heard that much noise since the Olympics when a certain lady won the 400m :)

Typing is the only way I can communicate today after losing my voice somewhere in aisle 630 last night. What an amazing experience. This trip back to Australia for the match was well worth it.

see_change said:
Was in seat 37 , row 18 , isle 145 :D They were going off even more there :eek:
We were also in aisle 145, seats 38-41, row 47. I don't expect the kids (5&7) will be doing much schoolwork today.

OK, so we're gonna get blasted at the World Cup, but we gotta start somewhere and this is psychologically really important for Soccer in Oz. Some nice news in certainly a REALLY nice change.

Programmer,

I beg to disagree - Uruguay were ranked 17th in the world. Over the past few years Aussie soccer has drastically improved with wins over England, Argentina and now Uruguay...sure you can argue they didnt have all their stars...but we didnt either for these games.

I strongly believe we will not be BLASTED at the world cup as you suggest.

All of our players are members of world class teams. Add in a world class manager and you have a world class team.

Programmer said:
OK, so we're gonna get blasted at the World Cup, but we gotta start somewhere and this is psychologically really important for Soccer in Oz. Some nice news in certainly a REALLY nice change.

Senegal did it last WC, and a few other 'under acheivers' were very impressive. There is no reason we can't do it. We haven't had a go since the 70's, so the team will be hungry. Brazil, England, the rest of Europe etc are there all the time, we may not get another chance too soon.

BR

Programmer said:

To also put it in perspective. When Uruguay played Brazil in Brazil , they drew 3-3 .

I think the missing link is the coach and having someone in charge ( Frank Lowy who is prepared to make decisions ) . In the Confederations championship , Australia was disorganised in defence and paid the price , despite scoring five goals against Germany and Argentina.

In the last two games against they have looked and played like a team. With a few more " friendlies " I think Australia will be doing more than making up the numbers in Germany.

Keith , wasn't the noise amazing :eek: I can't make my mind up whether the highlight of the cheering was the spontaneous rendition of Waltzing Matilda with a few minutes to go or " You'll never walk alone " during the tribute to Johnny Warren . Both spine tingling...

I'm sure Cathy Freeman might have created as much noise for a minute or so ( though not for 2 1/2 hours ) , but there was much more atmosphere and noise there last night , than from 110 thousand at a Bledisloe Cup game....

See Change

Last time the World Cup on SBS rated HUGE due to the quality of the games and local timing.

This time we are in it.

As an avid follower of AFL (Go Swans) I dont understand the pasion for Rugby, Union or League but Soccer is a great spectator game.

Australia played like they had a plan and belief in each other (like Sydney). Last time 2001 they got stage fright.

We may be a dark horse to make the finals provided injuries remain offside.

Peter 147

I was nervous the whole match. Last Sunday morning was at Star City watching the first match , great atmosphere. Those people from here who were there last night, that will be something they remember forever (like the olympics!!).

I wouldn't underestimate the ability of Guus Hiddink to do great things with this bunch of players. They are better than the South Korea side he took to the 2002 finals. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but Australia will be doing more than simply making up the numbers - we have some real quality amongst our boys. I can't wait!!!!

Back