World Cup 2014

Surprised that this big sport event has not been discussed. well, i may as well start it... all thoughts on your predictions on scores, outcome of each game and group stage, players' and managers' prospect and performance, all welcome... anything under the sun about this world cup to be precise :)

Favorite to win- sighhhh... Brazil (boring I know)
Underdogs- Germany, Argentina
Dark horses- Uruguay, Colombia

I'm a fan of the EPL and judging from the players going into the tournament, i doubt they will pass second stage. too inexperience.

don't shoot me for treason but don't think the Socceroos will go pass the first stage either.

let the games and sleep deprivation begin!!!!! ;)

According to Goldman Sachs (not your best football forecaster!)
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/05/28/goldman-sachs-predicts-the-world-cup-winner/

Top 4: Brazil odds 3/1, Argentina 9/2, Germany 11/2, Spain 13/2.

Then comes a group of contenders that can cause a few surprises: Belgium 16/1, France 20/1, Portugal 20/1, Colombia 22/1, Italy 22/1, Netherlands 25/1, Uruguay 28/1, Chile 33/1, England 33/1.

Australia 1500/1 (by the way the Aussies have the worst world ranking of all finalists, 59th, but not the worst odds)

GS has even predicted all the scores at the knock out stage. In the final Brazil would beat Argentina 3-1.

don't shoot me for treason but don't think the Socceroos will go pass the first stage either.

Nobody's going to shoot you for that, just common sense :)

...Nobody's going to shoot you for that, just common sense :)

+1

zero goals; zero points. Unless there's an own goal or Cahill gets a win in the air at a set piece. The unthinkable has happened before with Brazil losing at home. It was a long time ago. Brazil most likely to win it all.

Australia to beat chile , Netherlands to beat Spain .

Australia to draw with Netherlands and Spain to draw with chile .

Netherlands beat chile and Australia to knock Spain out of World Cup..... Spanish coach sacked ....

Australia beat England in the knock out stage and after that I don't care ...:cool:

It's amazing how a bottle of mescato improves predictions .

After the blues win and Sydney's flogging of Geelong anything is possible :D

Cliff

We got a tough draw, but all groups look tough. I guess that is why it's the World Cup.

pinkboy.....we will score 1 legit goal but be knocked out.

I tried following soccer in the last world cup. It was good for a few minutes or so, and then some girlie boy goes down with a fake injury to try to get a penalty. And then he gets a penalty. Do soccer players from other countries tend to fake injuries more than happens here? Doesn't seem as bad with local games?

It would be an easy thing to get rid of out of the game? If refs just ignored the silly carry on of players or even penalised them for such ridiculous antics?

See ya's.

I think Spain will take it this year.

Kogan is having a tipping competition at the moment. You can win $1 million if you tip all group stages games correctly.

Australia playing soccer is like saying Italy playing cricket. They got no chance. Im backing Croatia. Cant wait for the Australia v Croatia friendly this saturday!

I tried following soccer in the last world cup. It was good for a few minutes or so, and then some girlie boy goes down with a fake injury to try to get a penalty. And then he gets a penalty. Do soccer players from other countries tend to fake injuries more than happens here? Doesn't seem as bad with local games?

It would be an easy thing to get rid of out of the game? If refs just ignored the silly carry on of players or even penalised them for such ridiculous antics?
Yeah it's annoying. I was playing a friendly game with some kids and dads in Barcelona the other day, kicked the ball past this kid without touching him and he falls over whining that I tripped him. They teach them from a young age to cheat like this.

Interesting that there is little support for Spain in the world cup in Barcelona since they consider themselves a different country.

Australia playing soccer is like saying Italy playing cricket. They got no chance. Im backing Croatia. Cant wait for the Australia v Croatia friendly this saturday!

That's a dumb comparison if I've ever heard one.

Aussies to do what they did to the Croats in the 2006 World Cup ;)

BoWtW5EIMAApQPo.jpg

Says it all really!

pinkboy

I tried following soccer in the last world cup. It was good for a few minutes or so, and then some girlie boy goes down with a fake injury to try to get a penalty.

I'm with you TC - find it so frustrating.

Rather watch the league where some player gets taken out with a serious game ending injury, while being treated on the sideline leaps up, takes down an opposition player and saves a certain try ... then lies back down again to continue being treated.

Or - dislocates shoulder - gets popped back in - goes on to finish the game.

Now that's a real ball sport

Hi

I think this thread is about the World Cup , not a " my code is better than yours " thread .

Slanging off against other countries is ok though :D

Cliff

Or the my code is the best because we're the best at it because we're the only country that plays it thread :D

No slanging off about aussie rules . I mean , it is the best code ..........;) I mean , we all agree on that don't we . It's just a matter of which is the second best ...:cool:

Cliff

Back