Old, Old books

HI

I was wondering if anyone can recommend old books on property and wealth? I have read extensively books written over the last 20 years, or so, and have a real desire to go backwards in time.

Dale

Not sure how old this is but it's a great read (on-line) and I believe that Fred JOHNSON may have written another Real Estate book around 20 odd years ago Dale.

anyway becauseyou're a nice guy here's a link;)

The Wealth Power of Property

I enjoyed the read

Redwing

Those Old Books

Dale,

Try Alan Falkson's...."Buying real estate on a budget". It takes a cyclical approach to property. He is a West Australian and I read his book about 16 years ago and subscribed to his newsletter for about 2 to 3 years, later purchasing my first IP due to his influence. Like most investors I seemed to have read truckloads of IP books. Alan Falksons was my first.

Regards

Bob

Falkson

In an amazing co-incidence, last night I re-read "Investing in Real Estate on a Budget" which was the first investment book I purchased (not read, Jan Somers book was the first I read). Falkson's book is a fascinating read because it is quite different from the usual pulp. By usual pulp, I mean the books that explain why you can't afford to retire, then spend ages on goal setting, mindset, the power of compound interest etc. Falkson focusses on individual deals, making sure they are profitable, ie through adding value, positive cashflow, renting to buy etc. There are some interesting twists, such as his sections on trade discounts, credit references, and cycles. There is a section on investing in New Zealand, years before it became popular with the mainstream. Falkson's background as a printer also comes through. I also recall after reading it for the first time, I felt somewhat uncomfortable about Falkson's business ethics, although I cannot now recall the specific reasons. But overall, this is a book I have kept over the years and re-read many times.

Regards,

Burbs

PS I also re-read my copy of "The Wealth Power of Property" last week!

DaleGG said:
HI

I was wondering if anyone can recommend old books on property and wealth? I have read extensively books written over the last 20 years, or so, and have a real desire to go backwards in time.

Dale
Dale,
This book may help i think it was first published in 1991, by Sturat Moore
How to start with no savings and get rich safely, you may have already
read this book,but imho very few books stand up to the test of time
this one does for the years from 1991 to 2001.
I think he has something to do with this site www.sanford.com.au.
that's when i first had a listen to him 16 years ago,and bought his
book,i unsure what name he now writes under but he is still out there.
good luck
willair.......

Last edited:
Dale, I had a similar interest in the origins of wealth consciousness some time ago. From my readings, a lot of it seemed to spring from 19th and early 20th Century Amercian Christian thinkers and speakers. There were a lot of Christian guys getting into a more optimistic and 'right to wealth' interpretation of what God wanted for mankind. They shifted the focus off the consciousness of the moral superiority of poverty, that is still ubiquitous in Christianity.

I somehow think this only came about because it was a logical fusion of living in the land of milk and honey and the prevalent Christian mindset wanting to attribute all that good stuff to its God.

However, maybe it was also a logical progression up Maslow's hierarchy of needs, that once basic material needs were met, one could focus more on 'more'... :)

Though not wanting to be too cynical, in all fairness, these guys also saw the business and life wisdom in the Christian view of helping others and being ethical.... 'you can get all you want if you help enough others get all they want'.

You may have heard of Og Mandino, Clemente Stone, Norman Vincente Peale, Dale Carnegie (you weren't named after him were you :) )

Focusing more on property, one of the wealthiest developers I know (an Irish immigrant who came to Oz in the late 1950s) recommended a property valuer's text first published in the 1960s. Have it at home and will post the name of it later. Though it is just all matter of fact stuff about placing value on a property via utilitarian and demand based algorithms. Though this developer has never recommended leverage as a powerful tool. As he said to me once, time is often the essential ingredient to make a lot of money from property, and paying bank interest works against that.

some of this might be of interest.

From 1859
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...3411-2942461?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

From 1900
Acres of Diamonds speech
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/rconwellacresofdiamonds.htm

Earl Nightingale
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...3411-2942461?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

From 1960s
Catherine Ponder
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...3411-2942461?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

An Introduction to 50 classics
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...3411-2942461?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Thank you very much for the ideas. I will follow them up.
I have read Stuart Moore's book (a long, long time ago now) and have also read Acres of Diamonds, too.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions.

Dale

Fred Johnson and Alan Falkson

Hi Dale,

I have the book listed by Fred JOhnson and one by Alan Falkson (although I think the Falkson book I have might be different to the one listed above.)

I can loan them to you if you have trouble sourcing them by other means.

Regards
A

aef said:
and one by Alan Falkson (although I think the Falkson book I have might be different to the one listed above.)

Originally called "Investing in Real Estate using Other Peoples Money" pre 1991

This book and Alan Falkson discussed before on SS and from memory 'Les, of moderator fame' said it was one of the books that got him going.

DaleGG said:
HI

I also love old books.

Whittaker's 'Making Money Made Simple' (c1988) is a classic and a far better primer than any Kiyosaki.

I'd second the recommendation of Fred Johnson. He's had several books. The oldest I've seen would be around the late 60s/early 70s and was in a uni library somewhere.

There's a newer one of his (or it could be his son's) written in the 1990s - it's at either Sunshine or St Albans public library.

And I can't let this post go without mentioning 'Adventures in Tax Avoidance' by Peter Clyne, who apparently though it was more fun to be avoiding tax than making money (written 1969). I picked this up from an op-shop in Ringwood last year. Detailed discussion here: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17699

Peter

I love 'the Science of Getting Rich' which is available free online if you google for it. Great stuff about the internals of abundance, without which no amount of property investing is gonna help ... IMHO :)

Ed

One of my favourite quotes is from a book thats over 100 years old called "As a man thinketh"

“The greatest achievement was at first and for a time a dream. The oak sleeps in the acorn, the bird waits in the egg, and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities.”

It's about the power of positive thought and is now re-written as "As a Man Thinks" and "As a Woman Thinks"..

other gems in it are

“For true success ask yourself these four questions: Why? Why not? Why not me? Why not now? .”

“All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts”

“He who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would accomplish much must sacrifice much”

“Circumstances do not make the man, they reveal him.”

“Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream, so you shall become. Your vision is the promise of what you shall one day be; your ideal is the prophecy of what you shall at last unveil.”

“In all human affairs there are efforts and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result”

And many more ; IMHO well worth the read and price

Redwing

Though not 'old old', a recent Dandenong op-shop purchase has been 'The Rise and Fall of Alan Bond', by Paul Barry and written in 1990.

A bargain at $1.99 and a great read.

I'm up to the bit where Bond makes his money through property deals by borrowing heaps and getting loans supported by loans, supported by loans. This was around 1970. Bond's first business in signwriting continued but wasn't that prosperous, so it was property that made his first million. Despite his bad reputation he could still convince people to lend.

Also he does things like paint the desert-like sandhills of Yanchep green to make it look good for buyers and chop down a neighbours trees to get views from his block.

Peter

Fred Johnson's early book

"Riches from Real Estate" by Fred Johnson and Brendon Whiting 1980

At the time average Sydney house + land $64,500. Melbourne $44,800

Stirling

Back