Omega 3 Fats into Kids..

We used to have *chicken-nuggets* made with Fish..just dont tell the kids, worked on us !!

Disliked Vegies were blended into stews so small you didn't know..

Redwing

agent 86 said:
Lizzie & TFB mentioned the SBS omega 3 show.
Part of it featured Dr Artemis Siopoulious studying the diet of the villagers. While there she observed how the chooks were greedily eating purslane aka pigweed so analyzed the eggs and found them extremely high in Omega 3.
So get some chooks Dunc (kill and eat them the day the bird flu hits:) ) and let them do a bit of free ranging on pigweed and other weeds. Kids love checking for and eating eggs.

Cheers A86, I missed that, but have downloaded the PDF to read today :)

I'm finally getting Flaxseed Oil into the kids by mixing it with their Milo drink 2-3 times a week :) A teaspoon at a time..

I know Milo isnt that good, but I'll overlook that for now :)

How practical is this? Rather than trying to change the children's diet, what if you have the best diet you can?

Interested,
(no-children-Pete!!)

easier said than done pete. after trying for years to get my junior to eat potatoes (mashed, baked, roasted) the only version she will eat is oven fries. everything else is permanently rejected and, as a parent, one gets to the stage where you just feed them what you know they will eat, as long as it's not to bad for them.

the only vegetable she will eat is carrot and the only fruit is apples and grapes - not from want of trying and setting a good example. then again, she is only three and hopefully will round out her diet in the future - in the meantime she gets a multivitamin/mineral tablet each day just to make sure she's getting what she needs.

pete said:
How practical is this? Rather than trying to change the children's diet, what if you have the best diet you can?

But what if you aren’t the only one controlling your child’s diet? In today’s society where we have separated parenting, childcare centres, school canteens selling poison, and numerous others, having an input into a child’s diet you lose that control over what your child puts in their mouth.

Kids don’t always do the right thing with their diet as Dunc and lizzie have mentioned. So it’s up to parents where they can to try to combat the negative elements in their diet. Leading by example is a great start, but kids will always be kids.

It’s all about encouragement and variety in their diet. Forcing a kid to eat something doesn’t work. So parent’s need to be more inventive in ways to hide things in their children’s food. Whether it’s hiding grated vegetables in their spaghetti sauce or adding flaxseed oil to their milo.

I think it’s also important to keep revisiting the foods that they don’t like, eventually their tastes will change. As Winston Churchill once said…..Never, never, never, never give up. Just remember be nice to them though, they will be the ones choosing your old peoples home. :D

Ruby :)

lizzie said:
easier said than done pete. after trying for years to get my junior to eat potatoes (mashed, baked, roasted) the only version she will eat is oven fries. everything else is permanently rejected and, as a parent, one gets to the stage where you just feed them what you know they will eat, as long as it's not to bad for them.

the only vegetable she will eat is carrot and the only fruit is apples and grapes - not from want of trying and setting a good example. then again, she is only three and hopefully will round out her diet in the future - in the meantime she gets a multivitamin/mineral tablet each day just to make sure she's getting what she needs.

I don't know that potatos are all that valuable in our diet. Swap them for sweet potatos. They are healthier and kids seeem to prefer the sweet taste. You can even make wedges with them in the oven or chips for that matter.

lizzie said:

Hi lizzie,

Have you tried sweet potato?

1) They are better for you
2) They taste better than normal potatoes :D

<EDIT>: Simon, sorry I should have read your post before replying to lizzie's :)

Regards,
Ozi

No matter how healthy a diet you, yourself, follow it is always a challenge to get young kids to follow suit. We always had a policy that they had to at least try everything that was on their plate. Worked a treat with the youngest & she would eat almost everything at a young age (including the snails from the garden, but we won't go there), but the eldest just didn't like most foods. The funniest thing was when the eldest started asking if she could have corn for desert most nights:confused: (to get desert they had to clean their plates). Heck, yes, of course you can have corn, much better than a plate of ice cream.:D

The next challenge I found was when they get part time jobs. Eldest has a sweet tooth & Mum doesn't provide much in the way of junk food. She now keeps her own private store in her bedroom.:(

These days the youngest has the healthiest diet. Will eat most foods except corn & tomato. Favorite foods are sushi & satay chicken. Eldest has a very bland palate. Cannot tolerate anything that has a hint of heat in it, but will eat most vegetables (corn, of course, being the favorite) & most meats & fish. Only problem with this one is the amount of chocolate she consumes.

ozi said:
Hi lizzie,

Have you tried sweet potato?

1) They are better for you
2) They taste better than normal potatoes :D

<EDIT>: Simon, sorry I should have read your post before replying to lizzie's :)

Regards,
Ozi

And despite being 'sweeter', they have a lower GI. They're really yams aren't they - though I don't know the difference between a potato and a yam :confused:

Glebe said:
And despite being 'sweeter', they have a lower GI. They're really yams aren't they - though I don't know the difference between a potato and a yam :confused:

In NZ yams are common and look nothing like a sweet potato. But I am not sure if that is the same in other countries.

We have 2 vegetable Omega 3 products locally in our supermarkets.

One is produced by a friend of my wife & is a mix of flax oil, hemp oil, evening primrose oil and pumpkin oil
- claims to contain omega 3,6,& 9 in in the ratio 2:1:1
- smells and tastes much like fish oil (??which component is responsible for this).

The second is pure hemp oil
- again claims to be high in Omega 3,6,& 9 (my wife's friend says it isn't so good but then she would; & her understanding of science is not exactly rigorous)
- much cheaper, larger bottle
- tastes nutty, like a nice olive oil
- we use is a lot on pasta or on baked potatos, but also drink it neat

Generally our kids are medication junkies - view it as a treat like lollies and beg for more.
2 of them gobble up these oils (age 1 and 4), one makes a fuss but he is bribable (age 5).

There are 2 reasons to go for the vegetarian option:

1. There are inadequate fish resources for the whole population to have fish oils - they tend to be harvested by trawling of which I am not a big fan.
There are schools in the UK which have decided to give fish oil supplements to all their kids and I have very mixed feelings about this. (I love fishing and eating fish - don't get me wrong, but I don't think it is sustainable).

2. There is concern about toxin levels in fish and their potential effects on children. The reps who flog "medical quality" Omega 3 as cardiac products (eg Omacor) assure it is of the highest purity from fish (?salmon) farms in the South Atlantic. I am sure not all fish oils will be so rigorously purified.

Too much fish oil can give you too much vitamin A which has many adverse effects and is particularly unsafe in pregnancy (can damage the baby).

Last point - all types (whether fish or vegertarian) are best kept in cool dark conditions - ideally in the fridge.

Regards, Harpic

Thought l would let you know that l heard a promo for The Kerry Anne show tomorrow there will be an in depth discussion report on the importance of omega 3 for the kids and the best sources of it.I am sorry l do not know what channel this show is on or what time but l figure its a morning show.
Hope its of some interest.
cheers yadreamin

http://www.newstarget.com/omega-3.html

Great info.

I personally have "nordic naturals' Cod liver oil .. with orange taste

And Udos Choice omega 3 blend.

Both are real easy to take, I take it every morning, my 3yo has no problems taking it either.. they taste quite good.

If I could get it, I would use Krill oil but no-one in Melb seems to stock it.

T.

TomL l nearly bought the Udos Choice one cos l have been told how good it is.Its meant to be super strong and the very best mix of required oils.Your feed back on it please as it retails for over $50 here.
I didnt realise that so many of the products are in such a low dosage that its not worth taking them.I also want /need the glucosamine but to try and get that in a reasonable dosage is also difficult.I cannot stomach taking many elixars and pills but to get the right amount to make it work seems difficult. I have found one product but its a powder.YUK.
What l have learnt in the last 2 weeks is that this Natural Theraphy gig sure is BIg BIG $$$$$$$$s.What a market.
cheers yadreamin

Back